Doctor Who

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 10:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, for one thing, I didn't really get how the Doctor knew some things that he did in the episode, such as where the black guy (sorry, I forget his name) would show up when he got sent back in time (he was there at the exact spot waiting for him) and how he knew exactly what DVDs Sarah would own (and even then Larry was the one who discovered the messages the Doctor had left, so I kind of didn't get the point of that).

I also wasn't sure how the Angels even got the key to the Police Box in the first place, and why they couldn't have gotten to it at any point before.

Of course, I'm sure I just missed some details which is probably the case (they probably explained the whole thing with the police box, but I just assumed that they didn't know where it was until Sally found it below the police station), but I just didn't catch onto the stuff relating to those plot points when I viewed this episode.

At any rate, that's all minor stuff, anyways. It was still a really intriguing and entertaining episode.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 19, 2011, 08:28:52 PM
Well, for one thing, I didn't really get how the Doctor knew some things that he did in the episode, such as where the black guy (sorry, I forget his name) would show up when he got sent back in time (he was there at the exact spot waiting for him) and how he knew exactly what DVDs Sarah would own (and even then Larry was the one who discovered the messages the Doctor had left, so I kind of didn't get the point of that).
The Doctor had a timey-wimey detector. As for the DVDs, I always kind of assumed that Sally wrote that in the paper she gave to him.

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

Okay, I'm taking my sweet time watching the show, but I am really into it. Still only on series 1, but I'll probably be caught up by the time the Christmas special airs.

I can't help but ask which arcs from the original series are worth checking out when I'm done catching up with the new show. I'll try to watch whichever ones I get recommended.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on October 01, 2011, 10:33:14 PM
Okay, I'm taking my sweet time watching the show, but I am really into it. Still only on series 1, but I'll probably be caught up by the time the Christmas special airs.

I can't help but ask which arcs from the original series are worth checking out when I'm done catching up with the new show. I'll try to watch whichever ones I get recommended.
Only seldom gone into the original run myself, but if I had to say...

1st Doctor: Dalek Invasion of Earth
2nd Doctor: The Mind Robber, Evil of the Daleks if you can stomach the recons, The Invasion
3rd Doctor: Spearhead From Space, Inferno, Mind of Evil, The Time Warrior
4th Doctor: Robots of Death, Talons of Weng-Chiang, City of Death, Genesis of the Daleks, Horror of Fang Rock
5th Doctor: Earthshock, The Five Doctors, Caves of Androzani
6th Doctor: Fuck his TV run. It's his audio dramas where he excels at, like in The One Doctor, The Marian Conspiracy, Peri and the Piscon Paradox, and The Condemned.
7th Doctor: Remembrance of the Daleks, Battlefield, Curse of Fenric, Ghost Light, Survival
8th Doctor: Only has one on-screen story, and it sucks. So for audio, Storm Warning, Chimes of Midnight, Solitaire, and the EDA run with Lucie Miller.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 26, 2011, 07:14:15 PM
It's beautiful...
Not really a fan of Reign of Terror (or Billy's historicals in general, save for The Aztecs) but its always great to see lost episodes available in a format other than slideshows.

Avaitor

I just finished the episode with Anthony Head, and KI have a couple of notes so far.

1- I'm already greatly preferring Tennant to Eccelston.
2- I hate Mickey. Just go away already.
3- Whenever the Doctor and Rose travel to older periods of time, Rose just walks around in her 2005/06 clothes. What happened to the all-era encompassing closet? Did they just abandon that after the Dickens episode?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on October 11, 2011, 11:04:40 PM
I just finished the episode with Anthony Head,
Great outing. Bittersweet though now that Lis Sladen passed away.

Quote1- I'm already greatly preferring Tennant to Eccelston.
Hmm. I thought it would've been the other way around.

Quote2- I hate Mickey. Just go away already.
I actually heard people talk about how they feel bad about Mickey with how he got sidelined by Rose and treated like crap for most of Series 1. What do you hate about him in particular, besides the whole third wheel thing going on?

Quote3- Whenever the Doctor and Rose travel to older periods of time, Rose just walks around in her 2005/06 clothes. What happened to the all-era encompassing closet? Did they just abandon that after the Dickens episode?
If I remember correctly, she dresses in a 50s getup for The Idiot's Lantern. Really, the times where Rose was wearing clothes that were time-dissonant, it was usually the TARDIS going the wrong date (Tooth and Claw) or them being forced into a situation where they didn't have time to change (The Empty Child). Though yeah, there are a bunch of times where it seems like the writer of the episode forgets this.

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on October 11, 2011, 11:39:18 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on October 11, 2011, 11:04:40 PM
I just finished the episode with Anthony Head,
Great outing. Bittersweet though now that Lis Sladen passed away.
Agreed. If I was better versed in the Doctor Who forelore, I'm sure that I would have enjoyed it even more, but from what I got out of the experience, it's a very strong episode. I can also see it be a prophetic episode in terms of the Doctor and Rose's relationship, in that they won't really have one.

Quote1- I'm already greatly preferring Tennant to Eccelston.
Hmm. I thought it would've been the other way around.
I like them both, but I think Tennant has more fun overall, and seems like a better match for Rose than Eccleston did. I did like Eccleston's more articulate side however, and I also kind of miss his bickering with Rose's mom. So far all I've seen her in with Tennant is the Christmas special, and he didn't seem to react much to her at all.

Quote2- I hate Mickey. Just go away already.
I actually heard people talk about how they feel bad about Mickey with how he got sidelined by Rose and treated like crap for most of Series 1. What do you hate about him in particular, besides the whole third wheel thing going on?
It's weird, I kind of agree with people who say that at first, and he was starting to grow on me by the Christmas special, but I don't really like it when they add bonus companions to the show. I think it breaks the Doctor and Rose's chemistry, aside from Captain Jack, who's just too fun not to love.

As for Mickey in particular, I don't exactly know why I dislike him beyond being the third wheel. I guess that's mostly it, since Rose seems bored of him at this point, and his chemistry with the Doctor is a little weird.

Quote3- Whenever the Doctor and Rose travel to older periods of time, Rose just walks around in her 2005/06 clothes. What happened to the all-era encompassing closet? Did they just abandon that after the Dickens episode?
If I remember correctly, she dresses in a 50s getup for The Idiot's Lantern. Really, the times where Rose was wearing clothes that were time-dissonant, it was usually the TARDIS going the wrong date (Tooth and Claw) or them being forced into a situation where they didn't have time to change (The Empty Child). Though yeah, there are a bunch of times where it seems like the writer of the episode forgets this.
Ah, okay. Yeah, it seems like one of the few errors they consistently get is the need to adapt to the wardrobe of the day.

I mean, you don't want to appear naked in front of the Queen, do you? :sly:

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

And since you're on Series 2, skip Love & Monsters and Fear Her. Don't watch them at all, they have no bearing on the main plot and will do nothing but piss you off.

Avaitor

I took your advice and skipped those two. However, I just finished series 2 a few minutes ago due to other things keeping me from my Doctor habit.

Initially I thought the finale was cutting it a little too close to the first's, what with the Doctor and Rose taking on Daleks in the warehouse of the secret organization that's been keeping an eye on them all season, but the last 15 or so minutes are a real killer. In a good way I suppose, but I'm really bummed out. I also can't wait to start series 3 tomorrow.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

Yes, it is. Now I have 2 shows I love to associate this song to.

And if you'll excuse me, I'm going to mourn the loss of Marshall's Fiero yet again.

Actually, while this is bumped, I just want to say that I'm about halfway through season 3 now, and I'm liking Martha. I still miss Rose, but I think she's a worthy enough substitute, and I like her arc of debating whether the Doctor cares about her or is just using her to replace Rose. I think it's a suitable storyline considering the relationship he and Rose developed during the first 2 seasons.

New blog!

Lord Dalek

Rose Tyler is one of those characters that seems to create major divisions in the fanbase. Those who like her base their opinion largely on the Eccleston-era and less on the rest of the series. Those who despise her base their opinions on several of the folowing series' stories in which RTD turned Who into some quasi-romcom fanfic and then wouldn't let the Doctor get on with his life (who's in the second to last scene of the Tennant-era? FUCKING ROSE!!!) at the expense of development for the underrated Martha Jones. 

All of this goes into the main flaw of the RTD-era. That he thought he was Robert Holmes yet only rarely could he tell a great story and frequently got us stuck with characters we either grew to disdain or never cared for.

Avaitor

I don't know what was more overlong, anticlimactic and disappointing, the season 3 finale or the season 4 Christmas special.

New blog!