Book Series

Started by Avaitor, March 17, 2012, 07:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Any particular favorites?

I'd go with the original Dune trilogy and Millennium trilogy myself. Frank Herbert might have been a bit of a prick, but his mythology is astounding, and on the other side of the spectrum, I truly believe that Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is one of the greatest books I've ever read.

Also talk about Harry Potter, Hunger Games or whatever in here.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Discworld series, forever and always. Also a bit of a Dresden Files junkie as well.

Pharass

I can't possibly narrow my choice down to only one (or even two) series, so I'm just going to go ahead and mention a few of my favorites:

These days, I mostly read historical fiction and in this genre, The Aubrey-Maturin Series by Patrick O'Brian is a must. The series details the exploits on sea or on land of Captain Jack Aubrey and his friend; Dr Stephen Maturin, during the Napoleonic Wars. Great stuff, particularly thanks to the main characters who rank among the greatest double-acts ever seen in fiction.

There's also Colleen McCullough's The Masters of Rome books, of which I'm about to start on the third novel. McCullough's obvious hero-worship of Julius Caesar can get a bit tiresome, but aside from that this series is a must-read for anyone interested in the Roman Empire.

Oh, and I would be amiss not to mention Dorothy Dunnett's The Lymond Chronicles. The first book is a bit tough at first, with it's byzantine plots and myriad of characters, but always a very rewarding read. The final battle between the hero and his nemesis in the fourth book stands as my favorite confrontation scene in literature.

For something slightly more contemporary (in terms of when the story takes place), James Ellroy's LA Quartet is a must for anyone who likes their crime-fiction extremely dark. I'd love to see a good TV adaption of these books, preferably by the people who made The Wire

Oh, and of course there's the three books in John Le Carr?'s The Quest for Karla, which centers around spymaster George Smiley's duel of wits with his nemesis, soviet spymaster Karla. Espionage fiction at it's finest.

Pratchett's great, although it's been awhile since I read any of the Discworld novels. However, when it comes to humor, P.G. Wodehouse is pretty tough to beat. I realize that Wodehouse pretty much wrote the same kind of story over and over again, but he did it so well and with such wit that I don't really care.

I have plenty of other favorite series, but I think this will do for the moment. Now, go out there and read.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, I've read a few of Wodehouse's books and liked them. I should go to the library and see if there are more in stock.

Angus

Ender's Game/Ender's Shadow series by Orson Scott Card. The latter fills in plot holes as a parallel novel when you get bored of the former.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Dr. Insomniac

Just bought a few Doctor Who books on Amazon (NA, NSA, EDA, and a Torchwood one). They're surprisingly good for what constitutes as published fanfiction (can manage to hold their own against the proper mythos), though you have to be wary of which writers' names are on the title.

You know you have a good DW book if Kate Orman, Jonathan Morris, Lance Parkin, Andy Lane, or Paul Cornell are on the cover. And you'll have a... weird one if Lawrence Miles' name is on there.

Avaitor

So yeah, how weird would it sound if I said that I think that Lisbeth Salander might be my ideal girl?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/