Ultimate Spider-Man

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 25, 2012, 08:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

That Sinister Six miniseries was awful. idk why it was even turned into a volume of USM, since Spidey barely showed up in it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 28, 2012, 01:08:02 PM
:shit: Jesus, you made it that far? I had to stop reading a little bit after the Sinister Six or whatever the hell it was called.
Oh Jesus, Sinister Six was so fucking bad. I had forgotten about that shit until now. Hollywood also sucked, but Carnage was pretty cool IMO. But that Deadpool arc was just awful. Had to stop reading there.

Avaitor

You know, I still like the first few volumes of USM, but as a whole, I don't think it's a very good series.

I really think that in the past 10 years, it has already dated itself more than the original Stan Lee ASM's have in the past 50, and the pacing is just awful. I mean, Peter doesn't even turn into Spidey until the end of the first volume or the start of the second, yet he has no problem telling MJ that he's Spider-Man not even like 10 issues after he suits up.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've only ever read the first few issues of USM and can't remember much about it to be honest, except for the fact that none of what I read actually involved any Spider-Man in it (there was a lot of back-story for Peter building up to him becoming Spider-Man, I believe). At any rate, getting back to the topic of this show, what I saw from the commercial and promotions makes it look absolutely nothing like the USM comics, for better or worse (or at least as bad as the USM comics apparently get, based on what you guys are saying about it), so I'm not exactly sure why it has a name that suggests its based off of the Ultimate Universe Spider-Man, unless they just gave it that name without that intention, but I don't see how you could unintentionally name something after a distinct comic book series version of Spider-Man.

Avaitor

If anything, this is based more off of Ultimate Marvel Team-Up, which did feature Spidey joining up with various heroes every issue, with some shades of USM in that it'll actually focus on Spider-Man/Peter outside of the action.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

The Ultimate comic started off well but fell off pretty hard like the entire Ultimate universe.

I think this series was in planning back when it was still hot, which would explain the title. Because it sure isn't going to attract comic fans with a title like that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on March 28, 2012, 01:25:02 PM
That Sinister Six miniseries was awful. idk why it was even turned into a volume of USM, since Spidey barely showed up in it.
That's what I was thinking. Also, what the hell at the art change? It was just weird. Then things got watered down after that. Why oh why didn't they just focus on Kingpin vs teen Spidey? That had my interest. Whenshegoingtofindoutwhenshegoingtofindoutwhenshegoingtofindout
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

RacattackForce

Am I the only one enjoying Ultimate Spider-Man so far? Sure, the combination of seriousness and comedy is pretty off at the moment, but I have hopes that it will improve and balance out in the future. Despite the flaws in the first two episode, I really do find myself enjoying the show. Then again, I've always been kinda fond of Man of Action's style.

Foggle

To be fair, the commercials for SSM were also pretty shitty. Maybe I'll enjoy USM once I get a chance to actually watch it. ;)

Spark Of Spirit

So I watched episode one, finally.

I'm not really impressed. The comedy doesn't work at all, nor does it feel like Spider-Man. It isn't balanced well with the action, and dialogue is not really anything special, either. This actually felt like Teen Titans' early episodes where everything was jarring and out of place, and there was no flow at all. The cutaways are completely ridiculous though, those have to go.

Also, the lack of Josh Keaton mystifies me. He's pretty much the best Spider-Man voice, while the one in this series sounds... off. To put it lightly.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

And I watched episode 2.

Foggle, do not watch this show.

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 11, 2012, 06:27:31 PM
It's that bad?
You'll absolutely hate it. It's too schizophrenic, awkwardly paced, and a little bit insulting to Spider-Man as character (while there is Avengers worship at every turn)... It doesn't even really feel much like a Spider-Man show.

It could definitely improve down the line, but I honestly think you'd detest it.

Daxdiv

I watch the latest episode and I was unimpressed with it. I felt like the 7 year old in me would like it, but the 23 year old in me thought it was boring and trying way too hard to be funny. I wasn't expecting Spectacular Spider-Man levels, but I was expecting something like Brave and the Bold or Green Lantern, treating their superheroes with respect. But man, I didn't find a single joke funny at all in this episode.

That and I do not find Drake Bell to be a good Spider-Man/Peter Parker, at all. I personally prefer Tobey Maguire over him. While Josh Keaton IS Spider-Man for me, and Hal Jordan as well, in fact Josh is the voice I hear in all Spider-Man comics I read, except for the new Ultimate line where Spider-Man is Miles Morales, but that should be a given.

Spark Of Spirit

The humor is like from the wrong show. It totally doesn't work or fit in this show at all. But the worst ones are the cutaways... I hope I'm not alone in saying I've been burned out on cutaway gag humor for like the last decade. So overused.