Game of Thrones

Started by Lord Dalek, April 07, 2012, 11:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

The Lannisters' roundtable scenes are some of my favorites on the show.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

GregX

New trailer for season four!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ZNaLQD60Y

Easily the best show on television that is currently in production.

GregX

New "Game of Thrones" trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIASaUUwklk

Hmm, any chance this thread can get more posts than the "Agents of SHIELD" thread?

Avaitor

Well we still have a couple of weeks before the new season starts. Hopefully we'll get good discussion by then!

Also, I'm considering re-reading the books after season 4 ends, provided that my deadbeat friend lends me back my copies of the first 2. This is about the best possible time to re-evaulate them, and think of how the show will handle the next two books.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

I still haven't gotten a chance to go through season 2 and 3 yet and probably won't be able to do so until mid-May. Once I do, though, hopefully I can start watching the latter half of season 4 as it's airing.

Inkwolf

I've been a fan of the books for some time, and am really enjoying the series. It does seem pretty faithful to the books (though on G.R.R.M.'s Livejournal, he mentioned that one of Daenerys's men was killed in the TV show who will later play an important part in the books! :D Fun to wait and see how they fix that.)

I can only watch them on DVD (no cable) and always look forward to the new release.  My only quibbles are:

1. Brandon's story seemed much more interesting in the books, and on the show his adventure seems more like an afterthought, possibly because they can't use him in Quibble #2:
2. Especially in Season Three, they seem to take every possible opportunity to cram in a sex or torture scene, whether it advances the plot or interrupts it.
3. The characters keep stopping everything to have long, earnest, expository discussions about their backstories, motives, plans, opinions, etc. I suppose when the story is broken into chunks over a long time. people need to be slapped in the face with character profiles, but still.

Anyway, if they keep padding out the show with sex, violence, and talk-show interviews, they might be able to stretch the series long enough for Martin to get the next book out! :D

Also annoyed with Season Three because (spoiler alert)
Spoiler
I expected it to end with Katelyn Stark, the vengeful undead, rising from the river with burning eyes! Not that she's done a heck of a lot in the books since coming back from the dead.
[close]

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

Dr. Insomniac

Finally got to the infamous Red Wedding. Robb had it coming, in my opinion.

GregX

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on March 15, 2014, 10:41:34 PM
Finally got to the infamous Red Wedding. Robb had it coming, in my opinion.

I wouldn't say he had it coming. But he could have avoided it if he didn't make some very stupid mistakes.

Inkwolf

Being wary of spoilers, I will hide this whole post...

Spoiler
Well, historically in that time period (remember this is based on the War of the Roses) one of the worst crimes you could commit was to attack a guest to whom you had offered hospitality.  If Walder Frey had any honor, he would have simply refused further alliance and openly joined the enemy.  Once he had invited them into his house and fed them, it was unthinkable to do what he did.

This event was actually based on a similar betrayals in real-life history.

But, yeah, Rob failed to play politics and married someone he loved...bad move for a wanna-be king, especially one who needs Walder Frey's good will and jilts his daughters.
[close]

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

Peanutbutter

Robb did make mistakes, that certainly doesn't mean he deserved to die. That's what makes it all the more tragic.

Not having been able to read the books yet, the Red Wedding is a big part of why I'm pumped for the next season to start. I really want to see what happens next with Arya and Jon.

Dr. Insomniac

Nah, Robb was a pansy fuck who didn't know anything about being a king. He knew Frey was unhinged, and he should've wised up and watched his steps during that wedding. And honestly, I believe what he got was soft. If I was Frey, I would start trying to hunt down the rest of the Starks, or possibly have Ned temporarily survive and watch as Tulisa slowly gets tortured. Maybe wait for the baby to be born to break Robb's spirit even more. That kind of punishment is what cements word of your strength. Nobody would challenge a lord who did any of that to his former allies.

Peanutbutter

Judging by al the battles he won (although they were unfortunately offscreen), I'd say he actually was a good king. He just lowered his guard at the wrong possible time partly because of how many victories he received.

GregX

Quote from: Peanutbutter on March 25, 2014, 08:56:28 PM
Judging by al the battles he won (although they were unfortunately offscreen), I'd say he actually was a good king. He just lowered his guard at the wrong possible time partly because of how many victories he received.

Being a good general doesn't make you a good king.

Peanutbutter

On the battlefield, he lead and inspired his men to victory. But yes, off the field he didn't think far enough ahead and it cost him.