Let's Play....er Read The Hunger Games (an experiment in literary criticism).

Started by Lord Dalek, April 13, 2012, 02:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

I have sitting here with me a box set of a certain popular trilogy among those of the young female persuasion. I have not read these before, in fact up until recently I have been avoiding them like the plague. But now I'm more interested... mainly because I saw the movie... twice. So I am about to engage in an experiment of sorts. I am going to read all three installments of Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy (the original, Catching Fire, and Mocking Jay) and share my thoughts on them on a chapter by chapter basis. I will also try to give an analysis of sorts on the themes and characters presented as the story proceeds give or take some more obvious (seriously Peeta... grow a pair). This may take a while as I'm kind of a stop-go style reader but I will try to finish these books for your entertainment. And that's what I'm here to do. To entertain you, dear forum goers.

MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN.... um... MY FAVOR!!!

Foggle

Daxdiv

I'll make the popcorn! And Bagel Bites, and french fries, and provide soda and water.

Dr. Insomniac

Rynnec

Quote from: Daxdiv on April 13, 2012, 02:34:46 PM
I'll make the popcorn! And Bagel Bites, and french fries, and provide soda and water.

And I'll order the pizza.

Angus

"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Spark Of Spirit

My friend who actually read them thought the last book was a real letdown, just so you know. If you don't like the first two, the last will probably not change your mind.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

May I make a suggestion?

Every time Gale appears, you should hum along to yourself "Every Breath You Take". It'll work wonders.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Dalek

CHAPTER ONE: "Katniss Explains It All" (Seriously Shut The Fuck Up Katniss)

Welcome to scenic Panem District 12, "Where you can starve to death in safety"! We're introduced to our narrator Katniss Everdeen, the girl with the bow, and Gale... uh... Not-Jacob! The two exchange foods acquired either through illicit means or simply milking your goat. Today is the day of The Reaping and that serves as the impetus for the tone of this first chapter, that of fear and resentment. Fear that you're going to end up in the Hunger Games, resentment as to why you're going to end up in the Hunger Games. The movie really didn't elaborate on this so let me explain. Panem's capital has basically stacked the deck against its poorer Districts using the tessera system, wherein a family can earn a small supply of grain and oil for the year in exchange for their children's names being added more than they should in that year's reaping. This is why its called the Hunger Games, the government is using your lack of food to force you into subservience. Fail to comply and you either starve to death or get shot in the head, either way, prepare to die.  At the time of the 74th games Katniss Everdeen's name is in the lottery 20 times, Gale Not-Jacob's... 42. This is not good news for either, in fact nobody at the reaping has any reason to be happy except maybe the ditzy Capital lackey Yuffie Trinket, and Heymitch Abernathy who's too drunk to care. The reaping commences and Katniss prays its not going to be her...

Its not...

its her younger sister Primrose.

We get a lot of backstory in this first chapter and even some background information as to how Panem came to be (its still pretty sketchy) yet Collins only uses it to maintain the tone, and that tone is GRIM. Katniss is not a particularly great narrator and I'm not sure if that's just her or the rather emotionless tone one would expect on a day like the Reaping. The Hunger Games so far is to me about people trying to get by and having to make big sacrifices for it. This being the biggest and as such... strictly business.

ONWARD CHRISTIAN SOLDIERS!!!

Avaitor

You took my suggestion, lol. Good stuff so far.

Also, fun fact- Effie's name is not mentioned once in the film. Figured I should share this here.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on April 13, 2012, 09:03:45 PM
What the fuck kind of names are Primrose and Katniss?
Fantasy-ish names.

Always wondered why nobody committed suicide by doing the tesserae system a billion times, therefore making sure their family would be wealthy. I mean, Panem's system seems to be "If you're against us, die. If you're with us, have a very low percentage of not dying." May as well do it by giving the system a middle finger.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on April 13, 2012, 09:03:45 PM
What the fuck kind of names are Primrose and Katniss?
Dumb "ITSTEHFEWSSSHAR!" ones.

Then again, considering all the anime I've watched I've heard worse.

Foggle

Quote from: Lord Dalek on April 13, 2012, 09:39:18 PM
Most anime characters just have Japanese names, though. Katniss is like some unholy incantation from the Necronomicon.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Foggle on April 13, 2012, 09:46:04 PM
Quote from: Lord Dalek on April 13, 2012, 09:39:18 PM
Most anime characters just have Japanese names, though. Katniss is like some unholy incantation from the Necronomicon.
Ever watch Pilot Candidate?