Let's Play....er Read The Hunger Games (an experiment in literary criticism).

Started by Lord Dalek, April 13, 2012, 02:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Good on the producers to cut that scene out then. Did nothing only to show how EEEEEEVIIIIIIL the antagonists were, like "force kids to kill each other" isn't enough.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah that wasn't really needed. A good editor should have cut that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Lord Dalek

The one thing I can say about that even though its "slowgoing" is that the chapters are so short, and the book is pretty short in general, that it ultimately feels faster than it really is. Compare the filler here to Harry Potter-style filler and I would have to give it to Collins because she doesn't waste a whole lot of time on it. You still feel like its pointless but only in hindsight. Not like say... The Mirror of Erised or S.P.E.W.

EDIT: Since I keep forgetting to mention it... This is the Sagitaria Potato. It has a fairly large role to play in the novel.

Lord Dalek

CHAPTER SEVEN: "Thank You For Your Consideration."

CHARACTER BUILDING TIME BEYOTCHES!!! Katniss and Peeta meet with Haymitch to discuss possible strengths and attributes to exploit in the games. Katniss is surprised to find Peeta far more complementary of her skills as an archer as opposed to his decent wrestling ability (this was a line that was cut from the movie and as such took away a lot of reason for Peeta to exist). The two get into a fight over who's more worthless before Haymitch puts the kebosh on it. Then its time for.... gasp... training.

The two are led down to the training center to go through a series of stations involving various survival and combat skills. We learn a few things from this... Katniss is an expert knot tier, and Peeta is incredible at camouflage from all those years painting cakes. Mmmmmm caaaaaake. Oh and Rue is a creepy stalker, I'm sure that'll never come up in the storyline again.

On the third day they are submitted to the Gamemakers for sponsorship consideration. This being told entirely from Katniss' restricted first person perspective, we don't get to see Peeta's appearance before Seneca and his goons. So instead its time for Katniss to use her bow, and she does poorly. The string isn't right, the construction material too light. After some readjusting she is able to hit the target, as well as a boxing sandbag, and a light fixture for good measure but the Gamemakers give her the brushoff.

So we've finally come to the moment with the apple and the pig, and actually its kinda different here. Where in the film Katniss had to think about how she was going to make the shot work, this seems far more impulsive, like "I give you guys a decent show and all you're interested in is a fucking roast pig? Well suck on this!" This makes the reaction of Thank You For Consideration even more brutally sarcastic, its delicious and really makes up for a lot of the last two chapters.

So far Katniss has been pretty damn sulky, she knows her pseudo-relationship with Peeta is all for show and it makes her uncomfortable and irritated. Never irritate a girl on fire, you will get burned...fast.

Foggle

Quote from: Lord Dalek on April 16, 2012, 10:00:11 AM
gasp... training.
Damn, I expected You're The Best. :(

QuoteKatniss is an expert knot tier
Awesome, character development on the level of the original Resident Evil.

Avaitor

I was thinking you'd have gone with "I'll Make a Man Out of You".
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Dalek

CHAPTER EIGHT: It goes to 11.

Not much to report on this chapter. Katniss throws an emofit about how she was so stupid shooting at the gamemakers' roast pig. Locking herself in her room to sulk, she awaits an armed intervention from the Peacekeepers....which never comes...to her surprise.

After finally emerging from her cave, Katniss is forced to confess her non-crime to Haymitch and Effie. The reaction is surprisingly the exact opposite of the film version. Haymitch is like "well...um..." and Yuffie finds it slightly humorous in a you-go-girl sorta fashion. Peeta just got ignored. ALL FOR THE BETTER. 

The tribunes gather around the boob tube to see how they rate with their sponsors. Katniss has basically swallowed her gut at this point. Peeta gets an 8. She... AN ELEVEN. They liked it.

The rest of the chapter is another filler Gale flashback. Blah Blah Blah go fuck yourself Gale.

UNTIL... Morning comes the day of Katniss and Peeta's chat show appearance. Haymitch has an announcement... Hey Katniss! Peeta don't like you no more and wants to be trained alone.

:burn: :anger:

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Lord Dalek

CHAPTER NINE: Interview with a Glampire.

Katniss goes through her betrayal! motions before deciding that she didn't give much of a fuck about Peeta to begin with and as such this makes perfect sense. So now its time for 8 hours of interview etiquette, the general gist of it is Katniss is a sullen bitch who would better mauled by rabid dogs than anything else.

:shakeshakeshake:

This book is looking up already!

Ok just before we head in to meet Ceasar Flickerman (who manages to be even creepier here than he was in the movie), Cinna gives some far far better advice to Katniss than Haymitch did. Yeah did I mention Haymitch is an unlikeable asshole is this book? That man is the fricken master. Katniss is fitted with her flame dress and then its off to get interviewed on the chat show from hell.

Katniss is initially quite stiff but Flickerman helps her out a bit so it evens out. After doing her flame twirl and answering some rather hard questions about her relationship with her sister, Katniss is booted off the stage. Thank god that's over with...

We then get some of Peeta's interview... its less than one page long and completely uninteresting until he confesses his secret love for Katniss....

:humhumhum:

Avaitor

New blog!

Rosalinas Spare Wand

The summaries are putting me to sleep. Get to the Battle Royale already.

Daxdiv

Lord Dalek

Hey kids! Ready for Part 2?!?!?!!?

TOO BAD!

CHAPTER TEN: The Sound of Competition Brings Death

LOOOOOOOOOOOONG CHAPTER! We pick up with the reaction of Katniss to Peeta's confession of love for her.... which she does not take well. No really, she's pissed, shoving Peeta into a flower pot and getting his hands cut up by broken glass. Haymitch admits it was all a ruse to make Katniss more desirable for sponsorship. Everybody loves a starcrossed lover angle. Rewatching the interviews and seeing herself as a giggly idiot whereas Peeta comes off far more suave leads Katniss to agree.

With the weight of the following day heavy on her, Katniss finds herself unable to sleep. Coincedently neither can Peeta who admits to Katniss that the only thing he can hope for out of the games is that he can die with dignity. As himself and not some piece of Capitol propaganda like every other tribune whose lost or won.

The day has finally arrived. Katniss is taken by a hovercraft to a series of underground bunkers. There she is reunited with Cinna who dresses her down for the games. He also returns to Katniss Madge's Mockingjay pendant which apparently was almost rejected by the Gamemakers for being a possible weapon. After reminding Katniss of some of the things Haymitch discussed with her (hide quickly, find water, ignore the Cornucopia), Cinna admits that even though he can't bet on anybody, his money would have gone on Katniss.

Katniss is led to a rising shaft tunnel which opens out onto a pedestal. The games have finally begun.