Music Critics Suck

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 11:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on December 27, 2010, 11:48:17 PM
Quote from: Desensitized on December 27, 2010, 11:44:26 PM
Film, books, television, movies, and of course, music. Don't beat around the bush, get to the point and do it with style. Don't waste our time because you think what you have to give us is some grand gesture or whatever.

I'm not deriding long songs, though. One of my favorite songs is 16 minutes long and they make every second count within. It's what you do with the time that counts.
Oh yeah, long songs can be amazing if done correctly.

I tend to accept "artsy" stuff in film or print more than in music, since it fits the medium more, IMO. I don't usually enjoy it, though (and yet, I love David Lynch's works, for whatever reason).
In film, I also feel the same, but in a different way. If it's arty, but still contains things that matter like good pacing, writing, and moving imagery (like Blue Velvet) while trying to put something across, I'll enjoy it. If it's a mess that meanders because it has no idea what the fuck it's doing (like Alien 3), then it's shit.

Different mediums and all that, but I get bored if too much time is wasted. It's not a short attention span thing, it's more of a "why are you spending so much time on this when I understood what you meant ten minutes ago" type of thing.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

No-Personality

If the prevailing / majority opinion here is that criticising music is pointless: than I agree. Talent is one thing (and very hard to judge, I think- at least hard to make everyone agree with once you have judged), but quality of music is very much I think determined by the listener. The ultimate reason why I think I'm right about this: you put on your headphones and you're the only one listening. How is anyone else's opinion relevant then? A TV, video system, and movie theater you usually have to share with others. But your music experience is always your own and no one else's.

But on the other hand, I appreciate musical criticism. I put little stock in it, but that doesn't mean I think it's all meaningless.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Angus

Wow, I didn't know talking about being a 15 year old girl is as melancholic as Morrissey's lyrics.

I'd like to find more bands that have strong musical instrument abilities though. Been too long since American Idol turned pop music into vocalist focused stuff.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Spark Of Spirit

I tend to think the mainstream likes to go too far in one direction. I appreciate strong musicianship, but then you have people praising the likes of Dream Theater who couldn't write a decent song to save their lives. Few bands know how to make that balance, so instead rip off punk music by sticking to two chords or so and writing the same two songs over and over.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Heads up guys: new Radiohead officially comes out tomorrow.

It's already leaked and apparently it's not even that good or "innovative" by their standards, but it's Radiohead so it's already destined for album of the year status, and don't expect critics or hipsters to shut up about it for weeks.

Meanwhile I think I'll buy PJ Harvey's new album, which is pretty damn solid, just to give it a little well-deserved push.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I still feel burned by the latest Aquabats album. I just hate it when bands play it too safe, you know?

Don't even know why I'm posting this here, it's not like anyone's even going to review the damn thing.

Avaitor

New Dream Theater single.

My god, this blows. Petrucci's lead is boring as sin, the synth is obnoxious, LaBrie can't sing at all anymore, and while the new drummer is competent, it really seems like Portnoy was the driving force behind the band. I posted this here since we talked about DT in this thread before, and it's safe to say that the band doesn't deserve any amount of praise nowadays.

But yeah, enjoy. If you can.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on July 04, 2011, 01:43:58 PM
New Dream Theater single.
Ugh. :srs: Seeing shit like Dream Theater get critical acclaim while stuff like this is overlooked just depresses me.

Katie Holt

Quote from: Desensitized on February 19, 2011, 12:08:59 AM
I still feel burned by the latest Aquabats album. I just hate it when bands play it too safe, you know?

Don't even know why I'm posting this here, it's not like anyone's even going to review the damn thing.
Eh. Personally I love it. Not my favorite album of theirs but it still ranks real high.
twitter.com/autistic_pidge

tweet me if you wish

now back after a long absence with a different display name. yeah

Avaitor

Hmm, who do you guys think is crazier now, Varg or Morrissey?

New blog!

Avaitor

Uh...

I know some of you guys really like earlier Green Day, but can you justify their ranking on here? I meant, at any other slot, I wouldn't think GD's inclusion would be a big deal. They wouldn't make my top 10 (if I had my way, I'd replace them with Crass), but I wouldn't bat an eye if they did make it that high. And the list is fine with it's other 9 slots. But #1? Really?

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

#1 punk band of all time? No, I wouldn't as I don't think they're pure punk enough to rank so high. My list would be as such:

1. The Ramones
2. New York Dolls
3. The Clash
4. The Undertones
5. Stiff Little Fingers
6. Green Day
7. The Smoking Popes
8. The Stooges
9. Wire
10. Gang Of Four

My favorite album of theirs isn't even a punk album.

Avaitor

Mine:

10- either X or Wire depending on my mood
9- Killing Joke
8- Descendents
7- Amebix
6- The Stooges
5- The Ramones
4- Bad Brains
3- Crass
2- The Clash
1- Dead Kennedys

Although if we're going by "greatest" instead of personal favorites, although I tried to factor both into that, I'd put NYD in and the Clash at #1. Still not sure if Green Day would make it or not.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I like Green Day, but about half of their best material isn't even punk so it's hard to consider them the best punk band ever.

Lord Dalek

There's an obvious lack here...

1. Sex Pistols
2. Joy Division
3. The Stooges (Raw Power/Metallic KO lineup)
4. Ramones
5. The Clash
6. Television
7. The Creation
8. New York Dolls
9. Patti Smith
10. The MC5

Honorable mentions...
The Beasties when they're doing actual punk (IE: "Some Old Bullshit", "Aglio e Olio"), Echo & The Bunnymen, Elvis C. up to and including "Trust".

Hell even that one weird Chipmunks album is better than fucking Green Day. Ick.