Music Critics Suck

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 11:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Post-punk and new wave are totally different things and should be classified as such, IMO. That's why my list lacks JD or other post-punk bands, as well as hardcore acts that verge on alternative, like Husker Du.

I also wouldn't put Television on there since they only have one good album to their name, and Never Mind the Bollocks just doesn't hold up much.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I'd put Green Day over the Sex Pistols, no question. The Replacements outdid everything the Sex Pistols tried to do and surpassed them in every conceivable way, and their manager's previous band Eddie & The Hot Rods were way better.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

And since we're doing this for punk and prog, let me add in a list for the other most classifiable subgenre of rock.

10- Morbid Angel
9- Celtic Frost
8- Candlemass
7- Slayer
6- Burzum
5- Motorhead
4- Death
3- Judas Priest
2- Iron Maiden
1- Black Sabbath

I nearly put Metallica in, but I still think that they get more credit then they deserve. Maybe also Venom and Possessed for impact, but their music kind of sucks in retrospect.

As for the top 2, those can alternate for me. I'll admit that Dio's run in Sabbath helped raise this up a little however, since if anyone else replaced Ozzy, then Maiden could easily take their place. But those three (4 if you count The Devil You Know) albums are equal to or greater than those highly influential Ozzy LPs.

Oh, and Deep Purple aren't metal. Sorry.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Lord Dalek

I'd smack you over the head with my non-existant vinyl of Tyranny and Mutation but... eh.

Avaitor

BOC's another band I find hard to consider metal.

New blog!

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Avaitor on August 05, 2011, 06:53:36 PM
BOC's another band I find hard to consider metal.
Well BOC's technically "light metal". Whatever the hell that means.

Commode

Hmm, Rolling Stone...

Yeah, I can't see myself ever putting Green Day at the top of a best punk bands list, despite how much I do like them.  I agree with some of their other choices and their placements, notably Misfits, Black Flag, Ramones, and Dead Kennedys, but putting Green Day there is only going to piss off punk fans more than they already are with the band.

And the less I have to say about The Sex Pistols, the better.  I'll never understand the high regard for them, Bollocks really isn't that great of an album.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

On another note, why do people like The Cure?

Robert Smith just sounds like a whiny little prick in everything they've ever done, and there were so many better new wave bands out there.

New blog!

Commode

I liked them more when I was younger(they are actually perfect as a high school era band), but I still like some of their songs, like Friday I'm in Love.

Foggle

Wait, they seriously put Green Day as number 1? :lol: If they're going to include pop-punk, they might as well have also put psychobilly, punk funk, and gypsy punk in there... which they should have, 'cuz that shit's amazing.

QuoteThen again, nobody saw American Idiot coming. The brilliant 2004 rock opera
I don't even have a fucking reaction image for this.

Commode

Like I said, Hmm, Rolling Stone...  They have always held the album in high regard.  I don't mind the album myself, in fact I like it more now than I did back in about 2005 when the singles were getting batshit airplay, but it ain't even half as brilliant as Nimrod or Warning musically.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on August 06, 2011, 05:08:05 PMIf they're going to include pop-punk, they might as well have also put psychobilly, punk funk, and gypsy punk in there...
It's Rolling Stone, they're a glorified payola factory. Unless they're on Fat Wreck or Epitaph (the irony considering the "owners") no one is going to pay them to give them the coverage. It's not about quality with that place.

QuoteThen again, nobody saw American Idiot coming. The brilliant 2004 rock opera
I don't even have a fucking reaction image for this.
[/quote]Anybody who listened to anything they did after Dookie could have called that coming. But they didn't because they weren't listening. 90% of their reviews read like they didn't even listen to the album, and I'd wager they didn't.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

NME is holding up a poll asking for what would be the most important songs released in their 60 years of running. They have a wide selection of songs to vote for. Except, wait... there's no metal songs in there at all!

I HATE this long-standing elitism against metal from music critics. What, because most metal acts don't go political they aren't worth being mentioned in the same light as Radiohead or whatever is beloved now?

Can they seriously justify how "Rehab" or "Common People" have made more of an impact to the music industry than "Black Sabbath" or "Phantom of the Opera"? Because I sure can't. And I like Pulp!

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Music critics hate: Jazz, pre-60s Rock, the Beach Boys (Pet Sounds aside... and even that), Progressive Rock, Metal, any pre-Ramones punk band not named the Stooges, Comedy Rock, Ska, Gospel, mainstream 70s and 80s Rock, and Blues.

Some exceptions aside, it's easy to tell they're more interested in appearing "cool", than writing about music.

Avaitor

None of that made their list, aside from one Elvis song and a couple of Beach Boys.

New blog!