SFDebris

Started by Dr. Insomniac, April 17, 2012, 02:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

This is the kind of reviewer I aspire to be.

Now discuss.

GregX

Got hooked on him when he started reviewing "Babylon 5." So glad he gave "Gargoyles" high marks too.

Lord Dalek

I'm really looking forward to the day Charlie learns that Rebuild of Evangelion stopped being a compilation of the TV series five minutes before the end of 1.11.

Dr. Insomniac

My only issue is that he's more resistant to criticizing some stuff the same way he does for Star Trek episodes. At points, he even treats the work with reverence than snark. Though he has mentioned that he doesn't want fans to lash out at him for making fun of something he doesn't understand, so that could be the case.

Lord Dalek

Also he appears to have an allergen to black and white. Which is sad because I demand a Twilight Zone OPEG.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Lord Dalek on September 25, 2012, 04:49:09 PM
Also he appears to have an allergen to black and white. Which is sad because I demand a Twilight Zone OPEG.
Well, he managed to get through almost all of the lost stories. If he can tolerate reviewing still images accompanied with off-air recording, I'm sure that he's eager to review some monochrome material. He just hasn't been paid to, I guess.

Lord Dalek

Dayumn. Charlie just broke down every problem with internet critics into a nifty six-minute package.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've been watching more of this guy's reviews, and I've liked everything that I've seen so far. I mentioned on another thread that I've mostly grown tired of Internet critics and don't care too much for other's views and interpretations on other works, but after watching these videos, I want to rephrase that into saying that I just feel that most Internet video reviewers that I have seen just don't express their opinions very well. These reviews offer up a lot of insight and interpretation into the work being looked at and for that its interesting, but more impressive for me is that whether the reviewer's opinions are positive, negative, or neutral, he gets them across coherently and to the point, without ever seeming like he's rambling on or ever making the mistake of coming off like he's too full of himself (which is a vibe that turns me off from quite a few Internet reviewers).

I particularly admire his Alien review, so far, but I haven't seen any of his Star Trek stuff yet (mostly because I know next to nothing about that franchise). I also enjoyed his reviews for Gargoyles, Avatar: The Last Airbender/The Legend of Korra, and Madoka Magica.

TheEclecticDude

Watching SF's latest review which is on Fear Her, the first five minutes are fantastically insightful.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, he just finished reviewing Madoka Magica. It looks like he's finally a fan of at least one anime.

TheEclecticDude

Yeah, everyone gotta start somewhere...there are worst places to start when it comes to anime.

I liked his brief talk on shipping on the last video-very insightful.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

SF Debris recently reviewed a couple of Batman Beyond episodes along with the movie, Return of the Joker. I am pleased with this. :)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

He has recently just done a 10-part mega analysis on one of my favorite video games of all time: http://sfdebris.com/videos/other/kotor.php

I'm still in the process of watching it (I only have time for one video a day), but man is it nice to see him cover this classic. WAY better than the first Mass Effect, IMO, and I'd probably like it better than the sequels, as well. I wish BioWare went ahead and made a KOTOR 3 instead of that MMO which just isn't my cup of tea.

Anyways, with the exception of The Empire Strikes Back, this may be my favorite Star Wars related thing ever, only rivaled by Jedi Knight II as far as the gameplay itself goes, but in terms of story, it's still far better than most AAA big-budget titles of today that think that ripping off popular films constitutes actual good story-telling.