Kids on the Slope

Started by Dr. Insomniac, April 19, 2012, 03:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Or Sakamichi no Apollon for you weeaboos. Second episode's out, and it still carries that flair.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its definitely shaping up to be a good character-driven series. I like the relaxed tone of the show, but it still feels compelling to watch thanks to likable and overall interesting characters. Its also nice to see a series that explore's the 1960's of Japan, or any time period in general rather than just being set in the modern day or being a pseudo-historic themed anime set anytime before the Meiji era. The whole time period and overall theme of the series makes it feel really fresh in a time when most anime in general have before far too stale and tasteless.

Spark Of Spirit

It's a great show. The best slice of life show in years.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 19, 2012, 06:51:55 PM
Better than K-On?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That show doesn't even deserve to have its name written in the same thread as this show, IMO, if that means anything at all. :thinkin:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 19, 2012, 06:54:44 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 19, 2012, 06:51:55 PM
Better than K-On?
Is Terminator better than the Human Centipede?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I probably shouldn't ask, especially since I seem to be the only person who doesn't know anything about it, but....WTF is the Human Centipede?

Not that any of it is relevant to any discussion in this thread, of course. :sly:

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 19, 2012, 07:00:37 PM
WTF is the Human Centipede?
You remember the episode of South Park where Steve Jobs makes a new iPad by stitching three people together ass-to-mouth?

It's like that except serious and a lot grosser.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....

As I said, I probably shouldn't have even asked. Hearing that and knowing that actual human beings had to have made it in order to exist actually destroys quite a bit of my faith in humanity itself. :whuh:

Foggle

In the sequel, an obese man masturbates with sandpaper and later rapes the human centipede he created with barbed wire wrapped around his penis.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm going to pretend I never read that and phase it out of my mind by saying something that's actually relevant to the show in this thread.

....Its hard because its kind of impossible to get that out of my mind....

....So, how 'bout that Jazz? I'm not really a fan, but I can respect it, and it seems like a good subject for this show to tackle, even though its not really about....

....Oh, fuck it....I need to go puke first. :zonk:

Spark Of Spirit

I like the usage of Jazz in this because it's the opposite of Classical in a lot of ways. They're both complicated styles of music, but Jazz relies on feel while Classical relies on precision. Much like the main characters.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, episode 3 was pretty good. This was more of a typical love-triangle (or square in this case, I guess?) sort of episode, but its refreshing to see one that's genuinely pulled off in a slice of life show like this. Were this something by KyoAni or any other company with any set of crappy writers, it would be played for cheap laughs and be filled with nothing but fan-service and obnoxious voice-acting. Over here, it plays out in a serious and believable ways, while further developing the main characters and still remembering to keep the show feeling authentic to its respective time period.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Is anybody but me still watching this series? Its pretty good. The character development is kind of predictable and it is still basically a slice of life show with not much more to it, but its handled really well and is easily better than any other series that I've seen from this genre (to be honest I don't have a high opinion of this genre to begin with). I like how despite how some of the character may act stupid at times they are aware of it and develop as characters once they get over things like that. I also like how all of the characters are actually likable in this series.

Oh, and of course I like that this series still doesn't ever forget that its main theme is Jazz, and the characters actually....you know, play freaking Jazz. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I guess I'm the only one still watching this show, but its worth mentioning that this wee's episode was really good. I liked the way that the duet was used between Kaoru and Sentarou to get back on good terms. It was a whole 2+ minutes of nothing but music but you could really feel the emotion in that scene. I'm not even a fan of Jazz yet even I could really get behind the whole mood of this episode. I also appreciate how this anime can accomplish moments like this without even using any words, which is so fresh after all of the exposition-heavy anime that I've seen that feel the need to explain every little thing to the viewer since they don't think they could figure it out on their own.