Ratchet & Clank

Started by Foggle, May 10, 2012, 12:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Isn't Qwark the one telling the story? That might explain why it makes no sense.  :D
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

I got play a chunk of this on hard mode. Yeah, it's definitely an excellent game. I do regret that a few planets were cut, but the pacing is quite great. Also appreciate a story where Ratchet isn't a complete jerk, though it isn't like the original had a very complex story in the first place.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Yeah, the original game's story wasn't great, but it was a little more creative and satirical than the one in this version. Still, it's nice that Ratchet isn't a complete asshole, so I'll take that trade-off.

The game itself is wonderful - easily one of the greatest third-person shooters ever, with some of the most beautiful graphics ever. The platforming doesn't feel as good to me as it did in the PS2 games or Future trilogy, but hopefully they can fix that up in the next installment. :im_nabeshin:

Foggle

Ratchet & Clank topped the charts in almost all PAL regions (not sure about NA, yet), sold out on Amazon, and has been confirmed by Insomniac to be the fastest-selling game in the series! Can't wait for the Nexus sequel. :el_hail:

Spark Of Spirit

Ratchet & Clank: Commando Revisited is a go.

Foggle

Sadly, the movie is... not doing so well. It's currently sitting at a 21% on Rotten Tomatoes and is projected to make about $5 million opening weekend.

To be honest, though, this could be a good thing. Being tied to and sharing a budget with the film is the root of pretty much every problem the remake has. A Nexus sequel or Going Commando remake developed more like one of the older games would easily be the greatest entry in the series. I'm excited!

Daxdiv

Quote from: Foggle on April 29, 2016, 04:13:19 PM
Sadly, the movie is... not doing so well. It's currently sitting at a 21% on Rotten Tomatoes and is projected to make about $5 million opening weekend.

To be honest, though, this could be a good thing. Being tied to and sharing a budget with the film is the root of pretty much every problem the remake has. A Nexus sequel or Going Commando remake developed more like one of the older games would easily be the greatest entry in the series. I'm excited!

I did see the movie myself and after reading your review here, most of the points you made about the story stand. If you played the game, you basically watched the movie and I feel like if I watched the movie, I basically got the same experience as playing the new game. I still enjoyed the flick, but maybe it would have been better if the movie was a side story or something and not basically "The Movie based on the game that is based on the movie!" Still makes me wonder if Sly Cooper is gonna get canned.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Daxdiv on April 29, 2016, 08:55:16 PM
Quote from: Foggle on April 29, 2016, 04:13:19 PM

I did see the movie myself and after reading your review here, most of the points you made about the story stand. If you played the game, you basically watched the movie and I feel like if I watched the movie, I basically got the same experience as playing the new game. I still enjoyed the flick, but maybe it would have been better if the movie was a side story or something and not basically "The Movie based on the game that is based on the movie!" Still makes me wonder if Sly Cooper is gonna get canned.
Sounds like a Netflix watch for me, but I think Sly Cooper is too far along to really be affected by this. A potential Jak movie, however, probably will be.

Though I can't find myself very interested in Sucker Punch doing a remake of the first Sly game like Insomniac and Ratchet if this movie game thing is a trend. They didn't even make the best Sly game.

Foggle

That's disappointing. :( Honestly, I'd still recommend playing the game even though you watched the movie. The remake's story was easily the series' weakest, but the gameplay in it is soooo good.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Foggle on April 29, 2016, 09:51:39 PM
That's disappointing. :( Honestly, I'd still recommend playing the game even though you watched the movie. The remake's story was easily the series' weakest, but the gameplay in it is soooo good.

I need to buy a PS4 first. :^) It is on my list of games to get whenever I get a PS4.  But yeah, I still hear the game play is pretty solid. I guess it will be one of those games where I basically play it for the game, and skip the story.

Peanutbutter

I think the game's story is fine. Disappointed that the film has the exact story though, I was really hoping it was different. From that point alone I can see why critics wouldn't like it.

Foggle

Peanutbutter

Finally saw the movie. It gets the basic core of the characters right for the most part, but a number of things that happen aren't really necessary. I love Dr. Nefarious and I believe he's the best overall villain of the series but why add him to the movie as Drek's traitorous sidekick?

There were a few good gags and laughs but nothing gut-busting or more than chuckle worthy. It wasn't a bad movie but unfortunately it isn't as good as it could have been either. I can see exactly why the critics didn't like this one. Big shame because if Rainmaker or whomever got better screenwriters a Ratchet & Clank movie could have easily become a blockbuster hit and pave the way for much better made video game movies.

Oh well, sooner or later I think that glass ceiling will be broken.

Foggle

Maaaaaaan, I bought the Ratchet & Clank art book that just came out, and it looks like Into The Nexus was supposed to be a full length AAA (AA?) game originally. There's concept art giving the villain backstory unseen in the game. He has maybe 5 minutes of screen time in the actual game and is presented as a sort of Lovecraftian creature but he's actually a cybernetically enhanced member of the same species as Tachyon from Tools of Destruction and is responsible for the brutal enslavement of Lombaxes in that region. Apparently Ratchet was going to meet other Lombaxes in the game and I assume a good chunk of the plot would be trying to free them from their captivity. I guess Sony decided to cut funding for the project since it was gonna come out around the same time as the PS4. Makes sense why the story feels so rushed and why Insomniac wanted to work with Microsoft and own their new IPs now.

The art book does briefly touch on how successful the movie game was and more or less confirms that there will be another game which will be a proper followup to the PS3 titles. There's a lot of focus on "story trilogies" in the book so I'm hoping that means they might be planning one for the PS4.

Daikun