Ratchet & Clank

Started by Foggle, May 10, 2012, 12:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

So I got through Quest For Booty.

Yeah, it's way better better than Tools Of Destruction. It's short, sure, but it's a download game so that's fine. The core gameplay is a lot less action oriented than Tools Of Destruction and it benefits for it. There was quite a lot of platforming, and it was fun! The weapons were pretty much just ToD weapons carried over and were pretty much exactly the game I even maxed them out almost as quick. Where it shone was in the presentation, no planet hopping allowed the game to be unusually focused and I think it helped the story.

Only problems? Well, I think it could have been a tad longer. Like maybe another island or two. But as a whole I think I would have enjoyed a full length game styled like this. It added a good dose of freshness to the formula, that seemed a bit stale one game ago.

Just one game left and I'm caught up!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 26, 2012, 08:10:56 PM
I think I would have enjoyed a full length game styled like this.
Crack In Time. ;)

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on July 26, 2012, 09:28:13 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 26, 2012, 08:10:56 PM
I think I would have enjoyed a full length game styled like this.
Crack In Time. ;)
I'm really eager to try this one since after ToD it proved to me that I'm more interested on new spins on the formula than them trying to top GC and UYA again... which just isn't gonna happen.

So maybe I will give the Tower Defense game a go when it comes out after all. It might be fun enough.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

From the Insomniac Games forums, regarding Word documents detailing the presence of bugs not seen in the PS2 versions...

QuoteOkay guys I've just completed UYA 100%. I'm going to do one last playthrough of the game in First-Person Mode as a final bug check before I scan this thread, add any bugs people have encountered, and then upload my Word Documents. R&C1 is 18 pages long, R&C2 is 28 pages long, and R&C3 is 25 pages long.

Yeah, the HD collection is fucking broken.

Spark Of Spirit

A Crack In Time finished.

Finishing the final boss off and I have only one thing to say... That might have been the best Ratchet & Clank game. Seriously. Why is that? Well...

The game is 100% platformer with action elements. It's not a run n' gun style action platformer like GC, UYA, or TOD are. It's closer to the original game in the it's basically centered on obstacles and careful timing with some action sprinkled on top. Not to say the weapons aren't still varied- weapons like the Constructo Shotgun are awesome (especially after my customization) and returning favorites like Mr. Zurkon, the usual disk weapon, and the Groovitron are better than ever... But they're not the focus. If you're looking for a game like GC or UYA where weapons are crazy and over the top spewing out insane ammo, then you're not going to find it here. The right weapon on the right enemy tends to finish them off fast, and usually that's all there is to the shooting. Where it shines is in this simplicity combined with all the platforming.

So what makes this amazing and possibly the best R&C game? The levels are excellent, EVERY SINGLE ONE. There is not a single dull spot in the game. The story is also the best one in all the R&C games, it's non-intrusive, and flows very well with a perfect length. The main game is great. Let me also say that this game is by far the best looking game in the series, and I don't just mean in horsepower, the art design is truly remarkable, and every single gimmick tried out just succeeds in making every planet stand out from the rest. Even the grinding finally fits in here combined with the hover-boots and contraptions all over the place that are falling apart. This is the first time such sequences have worked for me.

This is where I'll split from Foggle and say that the space shooter segments are the best ones in the series. Why? They're like the Hammer Bros. sequences in SMB3 where they occur on what is basically the world map. You can travel anywhere on this map even to secret planet areas usually filled with amazing platforming challenges and combat sequences to unlock more gadgets and goodies. The shooting is simple and un-intrusive and basically optional. You barely ever need to do it except go from point A to B and it's pretty simple to do. I actually enjoyed doing these, though I do miss the StarFox-esque levels from TOD.

The Clank levels were a good breather from the main game style, even if they weren't all that hard, they were fun and just challenging enough. The time puzzles, and Clank's new triple jump really make his segments shine to where they're almost as fun as Ratchet's stuff. Only issue is I seem to be missing some Gold Bolts in his levels that I can't seem to find. Yeah, that's right, I was pushed to find 100% of the game before even entering challenge mode. First time in a R&C game where I've been compelled to do it. Mostly for the planet challenges (I'm sure there was some SMG influence in this game, just like SMG had some influence from these games), and the arena which was a bit trickier this time.

My only issues? The arena is still too short (nowhere near the variety of UYA or the difficulty of GC), but what's there is fantastic and a major step up from ToD. I wish there were more cups, however. Also, the Radio Station was a HUGE missed opportunity! Where was the station with the classic R&C tunes playing so I could planet hop to Blackwater City from R&C1? It was so obvious! Otherwise... Uh, I've got nothing. This is easily the best PS3 exclusive I've played and probably the second best 3D platformer this gen behind SMG2, Insomniac really stepped up their game here.

All in all, here is my ranking:

Up Your Arsenal
Going Commando
A Crack In Time
Deadlocked
Quest For Booty
Ratchet & Clank
Tools Of Destruction

The top 3 are really interchangeable, though, and I have no desire to play the spin offs.

So that's my opinion on the R&C series! Where is the ACIT sequel? We really need a follow-up to this game!

Foggle

I knew you'd love Crack In Time. ;) And I agree, GC, UYA, and CIT are completely interchangeable as far as "best in the series" goes. When it comes down to it, there's not a single bad Insomniac-made Ratchet title, even if Tools of Destruction is uninspired and All 4 One is painfully average.

Full Frontal Assault should be good, but I really hope we get a true Crack In Time sequel after that (for PS3).

Spark Of Spirit

I think what may be holding it back was that apparently ACIT didn't do so hot sales-wise. IMO, that's probably coming off of the mediocre TOD and people not realizing what a step up it was.

Still, I think one more game centered on the hidden Lombax race would be a good place to close off the PS3. A sequel in the style of ACIT would be perfect.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 30, 2012, 12:09:21 AM
I think what may be holding it back was that apparently ACIT didn't do so hot sales-wise. IMO, that's probably coming off of the mediocre TOD and people not realizing what a step up it was.
This may shock you, but a LOT of people love TOD and we seem to be the only people on the planet who consider it mediocre. The fanbase appears to be 25/25/25/25 split between GC, UYA, TOD, and ACIT. So little love for R&C 1, Deadlocked, and QFB...

Spark Of Spirit

By the way, there's a bug in UYA HD where if you play multiplayer and go into single player, quick select well no longer pause the game. Now that sounds awful.

Quote from: Foggle on July 30, 2012, 12:40:41 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 30, 2012, 12:09:21 AM
This may shock you, but a LOT of people love TOD and we seem to be the only people on the planet who consider it mediocre. The fanbase appears to be 25/25/25/25 split between GC, UYA, TOD, and ACIT. So little love for R&C 1, Deadlocked, and QFB...
Maybe it was their first R&C game? That's the only way I can surmise it. I played through 4 other games in the series before it and the game just didn't engage me at all.

Deadlocked, though. That was great. It was a much better experience than TOD for me. I only wish it was a tad longer... Or at the very least we would have gotten a sequel (though obviously not story-wise, just in gameplay) instead of All4One. Deadlocked might actually have the best weapons in the series.

gunswordfist

Hmm, so is there a reason for me to give All 4 One a try?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

If you can find it really cheap or if you have someone to play it with, yeah. It's not a bad game, but it's not much like the other Ratchet & Clank games outside of the characters and jokes. As a budget-priced co-op action-platformer it's fun enough.

gunswordfist

Alright, I'm going to tell my baby brother to get it.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

It seems opinions on ToD are pretty lopsided

I agree with his assertion, it feels very phoned in for the most part. It's definitely my least favorite Ratchet game simply due to how safe and bland most of it is.

Foggle

Wow, someone talking sense at SonicStadium?

I don't think ToD feels phoned in, really, it's just nowhere near the quality of the other games. Still one of the better 3D platformers I've played, but it doesn't even touch the other Ratchets (aside from A4O). I'll be playing Deadlocked again soon, and I'll probably end up liking that more than ToD as well.

Spark Of Spirit

I dunno, I had my issues with the original but it still felt very fresh with a lot of clever ideas, which is why I played through it three times despite not liking it much the first time. QFB was a short like bridge game so it works for what it is, and GC, UYA, and ACIT are so great I went straight into challenge mode after beating them. Heck, even Deadlocked got me playing through it multiple times.

ToD, I finished it and had no real desire to play challenge mode.

I saw someone describe it as Up Your Arsenal in HD, and I can kind of see that. Except for how it has far less content than UYA in every way.

But anyway, enjoy Deadlocked. I still want to co-op it one day.