Things That Bother You About Comic Booking

Started by gunswordfist, May 14, 2012, 04:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I suspect y'all animation revelation members have a lot to say about this subject. I've only been a comic book fan for 4 years so I don't have much to say myself.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

How prints of single issues still exist, really. I mean, by this point, you'd have expected DC and Marvel to have done webcomics. But, no. Indeed, we've only seen 3 famous comic writers (Ellis, Waid, Rucka) go towards making free comics on the internet. You'd think they'd take more advantage of this to make sure more than a hundred thousand people read their work.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The best thing for Marvel and DC would be for each of them to create a site and upload all of their old comics online into a huge organized archive and charge a general subscription fee for anyone to read their comics online. Then they could have a separate service for their newer releases that could require its own subscription. I'm not sure if that would work out, but I could guarantee that they would have much more people subscribing to a service like that than buying individual issues of comics which just wouldn't appeal to anyone who isn't already a long-time reader of any currently running series.

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, even when they try, it's just "one step forward, two steps back" with crap like Comixology. The Big Two, hell, even savvy companies like Dark Horse and IDW need to know that in reality, tons of people read comics, it's just that very few actually buy them. And they need to try to change the playing field if they want to make money from the former.

gunswordfist

I can't believe people hate Waid's Daredevil.

Rynnec

Daxdiv

Angus

How about how they highlight every other phrase?
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

X-Men has been given the shaft for quite a long time. But let's be fair, the last decade of stories for them have been pretty terrible as a whole. There were of course a few bright spots, but compared to how good they used to be? Not even close.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

The same could be said of all comic books!/Dracula.

gunswordfist

QuoteAnd just remember, Alex Garland planned to take us in to the Cursed Earth in a sequel to Dredd (2012).
This ruined my entire evening. :srs:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, this is coming out of nowhere, but I've had this on my mind for a while. I haven't read a whole lot of Alan Moore's work, but what I have read has genuinely been great (Watchmen, V For Vendetta, and I'm currently working my way through my brother's copy of From Hell), and I plan to read more of his work eventually. However, I wanted to bring up that Alan Moore as a person has always struck me as a pretentious dick. He comes off as one of those obnoxious people who think that their work is the only thing that matters, and every interview that I've seen or read featuring the guy shows him as a self-absorbed elitist prick. Perhaps he's more chill in real life, but anything I've seen regarding the man himself has always been a major turn-off for me.

Yet, I almost never see anyone else point that out. Am I alone on this? I understand that most of his work is praise-worthy, but that doesn't mean that the guy behind it is necessarily a great person.

Dr. Insomniac

Oh, tons of people believe that, but are afraid of expressing it because Alan Moore's a crazy magician who dug up a cave underneath his house. I'm not even kidding. And that's from a guy who's cordial with him. There are tales about how Jim Lee genuinely feared Alan Moore bludgeoning him with a cudgel after he sold his stuff to DC. There's a reason why it was only until recently people were brave enough to say The Killing Joke might have had some issues with Barbara's characterization.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I can certainly believe people being afraid of him. Dude looks pretty fucking creepy. He also has a ton of weird quirks, when he's not bitching about how much he hates any adaptations of his work, and how the world of comic books has lost all relevancy without his contributions.