Things That Bother You About Comic Booking

Started by gunswordfist, May 14, 2012, 04:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

He has his good moments though. Every halloween, he gives money to the trick-or-treaters. And despite all that's said and done, he still reads some comics (albeit those from the only publishing company he's willing to work with at the moment).

gunswordfist

Moore seems crazy as hell but I can't say that I care.  :D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

The Shadow Gentleman

Moore being a looney ass has been known for as long as I can remember.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, it's more that I had a problem with him being a genuine dick about a lot of things rather than him being crazy on top of it.

Markness

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 14, 2012, 04:40:39 PM
How prints of single issues still exist, really. I mean, by this point, you'd have expected DC and Marvel to have done webcomics. But, no. Indeed, we've only seen 3 famous comic writers (Ellis, Waid, Rucka) go towards making free comics on the internet. You'd think they'd take more advantage of this to make sure more than a hundred thousand people read their work.

Yeah, I've pretty much stopped buying single issues (Atleast new ones, I buy old single issues since not all of them have been compiled) and just wait for the trades. I'm still a newbie to Marvel and for now want to read their 90's works since I missed out on them as a kid (Comics weren't popular at my school) so I am in no hurry to read their newer stuff.

Foggle

I buy a few single issues each month to support the series I enjoy most. I wish they were cheaper, but eh, the current Deadpool and Howard the Duck runs are worth it to me. I also enjoy the look and feel of reading them, which is mostly nostalgia, I suppose. And though there are some webcomics I really enjoy (the first comic I truly loved was online, after all), I hate reading things on a computer screen. Give me paper or give me death. :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I prefer reading things in hard copy to computers as well, but I'm not keen on spending roughly $5 for something that takes me roughly 5 minutes to read through.

Foggle

I like to take my time looking at the art and admiring the craft behind the whole thing, so it usually takes me about 20-30 minutes. I realize that this probably makes me weird, but knowing how much work goes into creating a single comic issue really makes me appreciate and want to support the hard work people do on their books. I don't mind spending $3-4 for 24 pages of quality writing and artwork, especially since it helps other creators put food on the table.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 28, 2016, 06:19:58 PM
I prefer reading things in hard copy to computers as well, but I'm not keen on spending roughly $5 for something that takes me roughly 5 minutes to read through.
This is why I preferred physical game mags over game sites for so long.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on February 28, 2016, 07:32:16 PMI like to take my time looking at the art and admiring the craft behind the whole thing, so it usually takes me about 20-30 minutes. I realize that this probably makes me weird, but knowing how much work goes into creating a single comic issue really makes me appreciate and want to support the hard work people do on their books. I don't mind spending $3-4 for 24 pages of quality writing and artwork, especially since it helps other creators put food on the table.

There's nothing wrong with admiring great artwork. I myself love to revisit many comics specifically as an excuse to view a gallery of excellent art from some of my favorite artists, without even paying much attention to the dialogue. In comics this is true of the classical styles of Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby, both of whom have simplistic but incredibly fluid and easy to follow art styles which I appreciate and feel holds up remarkably well. I also really love Jim Lee's work as far as moder comic book art goes. Even in bad comics like ASSBAR, his art is the only legitimately good thing about it. I also particularly liked Graham Nolan's art in the KnightFall issues which he illustrated. And as far as manga go, Osamu Tezuka, Tetsuya Chiba, and Akira Toriyama have some of the most unique and lively art in the medium. Meanwhile, Tsugumi Ohba never fails to wow me with how well he excels at any style which he chooses, and Inoue Takehiko has some of the finest detailed art that I've ever seen, surpassing even Naoki Uraswa whom I already admire greatly as it is. And that's just to name a few examples.

Even so, as much as I adore great art, I still feel that the content really matters, and for me personally, it's hard to justify spending $5 for roughly 20 pages of material, even if I'm making a full-time salary. I much prefer to go for collection bundles or omnibus format releases. It's still supportIng the series which I love, but also without completely raping my wallet. But that's just me, and my particular financial situation. :sweat:

Avaitor

Lately, what I've been doing is buying a random single issue here or there (preferably a first issue or stand-alone story), to decide if it's worth a later investment to buy the graphic novels. Free comic book day is a especially nice day for stuff like this, too.

I used to just read some of the series that I wanted to discover at Barnes & Noble, but I don't really have the free time for that anymore, unless I'm really unsure if the series is worth the money. Buying is nice, since I can read at my own pace.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Markness

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 29, 2016, 12:06:52 AM

And as far as manga go, Osamu Tezuka, Tetsuya Chiba, and Akira Toriyama have some of the most unique and lively art in the medium. Meanwhile, Tsugumi Ohba never fails to wow me with how well he can excels at any style which he chooses, and Inoue Takehiko has some of the finest detailed art that I've ever seen, surpassing even Naoki Uraswa whom I already admire greatly as it is. And that's just to name a few examples.

Hiroki Endo of Eden It's An Endless World! and All Rounder Meguru really stands out as well. He has a good level of realism and obsessive detailing that makes you want to revisit his works over and over again. Yukito Kishiro of Gunnm is also pretty damn good. I love his robot designs and his character expressions are fun to watch. And of course we all know Hirohiko Araki.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac