Things That Bother You About Comic Booking

Started by gunswordfist, May 14, 2012, 04:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Weird. Fox just partnered Marvel. You'd think the mutant genocide and forcing Inhumans as their replacements woukd stop
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Foggle

First they gave us unsolicited opinions on Israel, and I did not speak out, because my opinions on Israel were also unsolicited. Then they canceled all my favorite series except Duggan's Deadpool, and I did not speak out, because that shit has happened constantly since the 90's (at least) and I have better things to do with my time. Then they made Captain America a Nazi, and I actually did speak out, because that was fucking stupid (but they kept it going anyway). Then they made a deal with a private military company/weapons manufacturer to release a children-targeted comic about a plucky, diverse group of warmongers teaming up with the Avengers and

Go fuck yourself, Marvel.

Dr. Insomniac

Seriously, why Northrop Grumman? Why not Tesla or NASA or wherever the hell Neil Tyson works? Why the company that the very first MCU movie satirized?

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on October 06, 2017, 10:52:21 PM
First they gave us unsolicited opinions on Israel, and I did not speak out, because my opinions on Israel were also unsolicited. Then they canceled all my favorite series except Duggan's Deadpool, and I did not speak out, because that shit has happened constantly since the 90's (at least) and I have better things to do with my time. Then they made Captain America a Nazi, and I actually did speak out, because that was fucking stupid (but they kept it going anyway). Then they made a deal with a private military company/weapons manufacturer to release a children-targeted comic about a plucky, diverse group of warmongers teaming up with the Avengers and

That's part of the reason why I'm torn up tonight. I already said everything I felt like saying on Twitter. I didn't know the company they made a deal with is also a pmc..ugh.

Dr. Insomniac

It's comfy being a DC fan. We might have shitty movies, but at least we don't have Batman giving the thumbs up to war profiteers.

gunswordfist

It's nice that Disney bought Fox properties but Disney, Marvel, Miramax, Star Wars, etc., etc., etc. are all still dead to me.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: gunswordfist on November 07, 2017, 02:56:21 PM
It's nice that Disney bought Fox properties but Disney, Marvel, Miramax, Star Wars, etc., etc., etc. are all still dead to me.
Why?

gunswordfist

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 06, 2017, 11:49:15 PM
Quote from: Foggle on October 06, 2017, 10:52:21 PM

That's part of the reason why I'm torn up tonight. I already said everything I felt like saying on Twitter. I didn't know the company they made a deal with is also a pmc..ugh.

Dr. Insomniac

They pulled out of that partnership though, and according to some Marvel execs like Quesada, they were just as surprised as everyone else was. All signs point to Perlmutter being an asshole and going behind everybody's back to push some stupid deal again.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on November 07, 2017, 06:01:09 PM
They pulled out of that partnership though
Nice, I didn't hear about that. Great news!

Dr. Insomniac

I don't know if anybody at Marvel except for Perlmutter, Nicieza, and everybody else who made that comic knew about the Northrop Grumman deal beforehand.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've gotten really sick of seeing all of these videos and articles popping up in my feed about how bad the American comic book industry has gotten because of how "woke" it is, and at that it's usually just people griping about modern DC and Marvel stuff and applying that to all comic books as a whole. I mean, it's not like there aren't a plethora of indie comics or comics from other reputable publishers that have nothing to do with superheroes....:imnothappy:

Don't get me wrong, I have my own set of issues with a lot of current practices from both of the big two publishers, so I'm not going to say that there aren't plenty of legitimate things to complain about in that regard. Still, I tend to value the individual authors and artists and their work over who puts it out, and in both cases, there are great titles that have been released in the past few years, like Tom King's Mister Miracle and Tomasi's Superman (among other titles), as well as stuff like Ewing's Immortal Hulk and Zdarsky's Daredevil (again, among quite a few others). And when people try to use sales figures as a way to determine something's quality (because we all know how much something sells is directly indicative how how good it actually is....), I can't help but think of how some of the best titles that I've ever enjoyed in any medium have historically not been that financially successful. Johnathan Hickman's House of X/Powers of X is maybe one of the best comic books (and I include manga in that discussion) that I've read in the past several years, and it's not exactly a household name as far as I know.

I especially hate it when people bring manga sales into the discussion and use it to berate comic books for trying to be too socially conscious and that manga sells better because it's not "woke" like comic books are. I'm not going to pretend like there aren't horribly misguided efforts at social politics that come out of the comic book industry today (though, I'd argue that's honestly nothing new given the long history of the medium), but using that to apply to the industry as a whole is rather ridiculous. Likewise, as someone who absolutely loves manga and has for just about two decades now, it both amuses me and simultaneously annoys me that some of these people seem to believe that there aren't tons of manga that make very bold and very clear social commentary of their own. I tend to think that the people making these sorts of claims don't really read much beyond whatever the most popular Shonen Jump titles are and even then can somehow miss the obvious subtext in even some of those series. To be clear, I'm very happy that manga sales have increased over time and it has slowly but gradually progressed as an excepted artform in the west. I just hate how, for lack of a better description, stupid people use it as a way to lash out at another artform that happens to produce content that has some key titles with themes and messages that they don't agree with.

This has honestly bothered me for a while, but up until now I have tried my best to just ignore it. Yet, I still see shit like that popping up everywhere without me even trying to look for it, so I had to kind of vent out my frustration here.

Dr. Insomniac

I just blame it on stupid people letting grifters on Youtube do the thinking for them, and letting their own critical thinking skills atrophy. Saw one of those assholes having a meltdown that a District 9 sequel might be political, when District 9 was already about apartheid. Or that time a guy said they used to be a Rage Against the Machine fan until they bothered to pay attention to the lyrics.