Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Doesn't CN still own the rights to Megas? I mean, they made it (Cartoon Network Studios), after all.

Another missed opportunity to bring it back. What do they have against this show, exactly?

Avaitor

I think they just want to keep this run of Toonami in the ASA tradition of anime only programming.

Which, as you can tell, I'm not crazy on. Yes, Toonami is remembered by many for being where a vast majority of anime fans discovered the joys of Japanese animation and should be celebrated as such, but the block was the home of the best action cartoons on TV, not just the best anime, which is what nostalgics only seem to remember nowadays. And that's annoying me.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rynnec

Curiously, it seems that they won't be able to play IGPX either. Apparently they don't completely own it. Jason has also stated that their are "other issues" that prevent Samurai Jack from being on the block, so I'm assuming those same "issues" must also plague Megas as well. For all we know, DeMarco and co probably want to air these shows, but they just can't for whatever reason.

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 21, 2012, 05:11:18 PM
I think they just want to keep this run of Toonami in the ASA tradition of anime only programming.

Which, as you can tell, I'm not crazy on. Yes, Toonami is remembered by many for being where a vast majority of anime fans discovered the joys of Japanese animation and should be celebrated as such, but the block was the home of the best action cartoons on TV, not just the best anime, which is what nostalgics only seem to remember nowadays. And that's annoying me.

You're not the only one.

Spark Of Spirit

For a second I was about to recommend KOTH (before I remembered that this was about toonami and not old AS), then the idea of a Toonami style opener for KOTH popped into my head and now I want to see someone make that.  :humhumhum:

Anyway, someone needs to make Samurai Pizza Cats happen.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I think another thing might be that CN isn't crazy about their originals, whether they're older or not, airing on [as], which would make sense in a weird sort of way.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I agree. I think that while something like Powerpuff Girls wouldn't fit back in the day, I doubt anyone would bat an eye if it was on there now.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As for anime, it would have been awesome if they could have gotten the rights to re-air YYH and replaced Bleach with that. I haven't seen Deadman or Casshern, but it doesn't sound like either of them would appeal to me. I may watch them anyways just to support Toonami in the hopes that they may be able to get better shows to air if they do get enough support.

I really wish that they could have gotten some of the older DCAU shows to air on their line-up, though, like Batman Beyond and Justice League (I'd say BTAS, but I already own the entire series on DVD, so that's kind of pointless for me). It'd also be nice if they could air Dragon Ball, but I'm guessing that Nicktoons must have gotten the rights to all of the DB-related series along with DBZK.

Rynnec

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 21, 2012, 05:19:42 PM
I think another thing might be that CN isn't crazy about their originals, whether they're older or not, airing on [as], which would make sense in a weird sort of way.

I guess CN doesn't want their kid-friendly brands to be associated with [as], especially the popular ones like SJ or PPG, regardless of how they feel about them. Still doesn't excuse the less popular among kids fare like Megas not being on Toonami though.

Kiddington

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 21, 2012, 05:34:09 PM
It'd also be nice if they could air Dragon Ball, but I'm guessing that Nicktoons must have gotten the rights to all of the DB-related series along with DBZK.

I highly doubt Nicktoons has any plans to ever air the original Dragon Ball. The tone has been set with DBZK and GT; they're clearly focused on the more action-heavy side of the franchise.

Even though I have the DVD's, I'd love to see Dragon Ball on Toonami as well. It'd be nice as a nostalgia pick, and I don't think they'd have to worry about "brand confusion" and what all, since the original series differs quite a bit from Z/Kai/GT. Doubt it ever happens, though.

Dr. Insomniac

I just think that showing old shows instead of new would be a step backwards in terms of trying to get Toonami off the ground as something other than a nostalgia piece. But then, these shows aren't what I would've picked for the latter.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, unfortunately there aren't a lot of new shows for them to pick from. Young Justice and Green Lantern: TAS are already part of DC nation. All of the Marvel superhero shows (and Marvel itself, for that matter) belong to Disney, and thus air on the Disney Channel. Really, there aren't too many good modern action cartoons that I can think of that would be open for CN to nab the rights to and put on Toonami, which is to say that there are NONE that I can think of that meet all of those specifications. Besides, people want Toonami back mostly BECAUSE of the nostalgia-factor more than anything else. They might as well give the people what they want, and in general it'd just be a great way for them to have a way of airing older, but great, cartoons on TV.

Oh, BTW, Rurouni Kenshin would be another good candidate for them to get the rights to re-air if that's possible. As long as it only goes up to the end of the Kyoto arc, I still think the show has aged well and it would prove that there were shows aired on Toonami that can stand the test of time rather than just being products of pure nostalgia.

Rynnec

From what I can tell, Nick has broadcasting rights to the enitre Dragonball franchise, hence why they were able to air the movies. So it looks like we'll have to settle for DVD's to get our Dragonball fix, unfortunately. Then again, Nick has owned the Power Rangers license for a couple of years, and only recently have they began to air past PR shows, so who knows?

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 21, 2012, 05:34:09 PM
As for anime, it would have been awesome if they could have gotten the rights to re-air YYH and replaced Bleach with that. I haven't seen Deadman or Casshern, but it doesn't sound like either of them would appeal to me. I may watch them anyways just to support Toonami in the hopes that they may be able to get better shows to air if they do get enough support.

I really wish that they could have gotten some of the older DCAU shows to air on their line-up, though, like Batman Beyond and Justice League (I'd say BTAS, but I already own the entire series on DVD, so that's kind of pointless for me). It'd also be nice if they could air Dragon Ball, but I'm guessing that Nicktoons must have gotten the rights to all of the DB-related series along with DBZK.

Eh, they wouldn't replace the still-premiering Bleach with an old show like YYH, espeically since Bleach gets the highest ratings out of any current anime, but it would be awesome if they aired back-to-back.

Call me crazy, but I think Brave and the Bold would be a good fit, if only because the show's basically a call back to the Silver/Bronze-age (correct me if I'm wrong on the exact era) era, whose cartoons like Superfriends and the like were some of the first to air on Toonami.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I forgot about that, but The Brave and the Bold would indeed be a great show for Toonami to air.

Rynnec

There's also season 2 of Star Wars The Clone Wars. I know it's certainly far from the best western action show on CN right now, but the first season has aired on [as] before, and the marathon from a few months back got excellent ratings, so it'd be a natural pick, especially with how dark it can get.

Kiddington

Quote from: Rynnec on May 21, 2012, 05:50:06 PM
From what I can tell, Nick has broadcasting rights to the enitre Dragonball franchise, hence why they were able to air the movies. So it looks like we'll have to settle for DVD's to get our Dragonball fix, unfortunately. Then again, Nick has owned the Power Rangers license for a couple of years, and only recently have they began to air past PR shows, so who knows?

Huh, so they just bought everything Dragon Ball related, and called it a day?

I guess CN really is on the outside looking in when it comes to this then. I figured each respective series was its own seperate entity as far as rights are concerned, but apparently not.