Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Except they didn't spend four years to make 12 episodes. They only started working on it after Kabaneri wrapped up production. I can understand the frustration that they waited so long to make the second season and that it's only one cour, but Titan is an insanely time-consuming show to make with high production values, and it's becoming increasingly difficult for studios to handle two cours+ seasons in general. Cut them some slack.

Titan's popularity hasn't really slouched. If you look at tv trends as a whole, less people are watching tv in general compared to 2016, and ratings are down across the board. The 12:30pm timeslot has consistently seen significant drops from DBZ Kai in recent months. It happened with JoJo, and it's happening with Titan now. Titan's ratings aren't outstanding, but they are pretty typical for what we've seen shows in the 12:30am slot get recently. All that really says about Titan is that it's not popular enough to retain all of the DBZ audience which to be fair few shows really have. 

Spark Of Spirit

They won't be taking another four years to make another single cour season either. After this there's Kabaneri season 2 and then they'll probably get to work on more AoT.

Much as I don't care for the series, Wit does a great job on it and it is in their best interest to take as much time as they can with the property.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

It does seem that the show's popularity has dropped, even if the franchise itself's popularity hasn't. And I do think it would have been better to wait a little longer to have aired it, since I know a lot of people are watching the sub as it's being streamed. If they waited for the season to finish, those fans would be more likely to rewatch it on Toonami.

But really, I do wonder if this means that Jojo isn't a lost cause here, and that later shows on Toonami just won't break a mill on the regular anymore. Granted, even if Toonami viewers just didn't gel with JJBA, I don't think that it's entirely a lost cause here, as the manga does sell, but it did seem like the block's general viewers weren't vibing with it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Avaitor on May 09, 2017, 10:06:01 PM
But really, I do wonder if this means that Jojo isn't a lost cause here, and that later shows on Toonami just won't break a mill on the regular anymore. Granted, even if Toonami viewers just didn't gel with JJBA, I don't think that it's entirely a lost cause here, as the manga does sell, but it did seem like the block's general viewers weren't vibing with it.

Yeah, I'm starting to think that JoJo didn't perform as bad on the block as we initially thought, given AoT Season 2's ratings in the slot.  I'm pretty confident that we'll be getting Stardust Crusaders soon regardless, especially considering how open Jason DeMarco has been about Toonami airing it in the future.

Dreamer2

AoT's ratings do seem mediocre, but just looking at the numbers really isn't enough. And since I don't really look at other networks ratings at the same time, I don't really know how good or bad it's doing.

I would assume Toonami picking up JoJo hinges upon how expensive it is and if there's something better out there they can pick up. I'm leaning towards thinking that they will air Stardust Crusaders. But, I really really hope not. AoT season 2 has been so much more enjoyable than JoJo ever was. And it doesn't even feel like all that much has happened.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Not a fan of post season one AOT at all, personally. I'm a fan of a decent chunk of Tetsuo Araki's work, but when he has bad material to work with, there isn't much he can do to make it interesting other than making it laughably over the top, but I don't even find this to be unintentionally entertaining. Personally, I find Hajime Iseyama's writing to be middling at best, but his utterly flat characters combined with an uninspired plot make for a more boring affair than anything else when it comes to AOT, IMO. I probably would have loved this series about ten years ago, but the older I get and the more anime and manga that I've experienced have drastically changed what I do and don't appreciate about the medium over time.

As for JoJo, while I can certainly understand not enjoying it, it's important to note that the reason it resonates so so strongly among the anime and manga community (not necessarily the Toonami crowd) is partly because of how increasingly creative and insane each new encounter gets to the point in which it manages to sustain itself purely on the strength of how unique and unpredictable each and every fight or general encounter is. Parts 3 and onward have some of my favorite fights of any manga or anime series of all time. The other reason that its popular with a lot of people in the anime streaming and manga community is just how much personality the series conveys through its characters and general style, to the point where there's literally nothing else even remotely like it in the medium, yet it's also cited as one of the most highly influential and important manga of all time by many veterans (Yoshihiro Togashi of Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter X Hunter fame in particular draws quite a lot of clear inspiration from JoJo's with how dynamic his fights get). And, mind you, this isn't even my favorite Shonen Jump manga. On the whole I would probably rank stuff like Dragonball, Dr. Slump, Rurouni Kenshin, Slam Dunk, One Piece, and a few others above it (and Yu Yu Hakusho especially if we're including anime adaptations). However, I definitely still consider it to be well-deserved of its status as a classic.

Like I said on the Toonami board on TZ, though, while I do hope that Toonami airs Stardust Crusaders and future seasons of JoJo's, I perfectly understand if they don't find it to be worth the investment. I would still encourage them, though, to keep taking risks and give other less conventional series a chance in the limelight, as there may be some that actually go over quite well with the Toonami crowd.

Dr. Insomniac

Even if Stardust Crusaders meanders, I'd take it any day over
Spoiler
the Madagascar reveal.
[close]

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Avaitor on May 09, 2017, 06:12:50 PM
So Titan's ratings are slouching. Has the series peaked in popularity, or do people just not want to stick around after DBZ?
Everything they've tried after DBZ has taken a dive (except One Punch Man). So its not entirely Titan's fault.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It seems more to me that DBZ Kai and Super's substantially higher ratings are more reflective of the DB fan-base in particular, whereas the rest of the block is more indicative of how many anime fans actually tune in. I happen to know a lot of people who like DBZ but don't generally watch any other anime.

gunswordfist

Quote from: VLordGTZ on May 09, 2017, 10:18:09 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on May 09, 2017, 10:06:01 PM

Yeah, I'm starting to think that JoJo didn't perform as bad on the block as we initially thought, given AoT Season 2's ratings in the slot.  I'm pretty confident that we'll be getting Stardust Crusaders soon regardless, especially considering how open Jason DeMarco has been about Toonami airing it in the future.
Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Quote from: Lord Dalek on May 10, 2017, 12:57:26 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on May 09, 2017, 06:12:50 PM
So Titan's ratings are slouching. Has the series peaked in popularity, or do people just not want to stick around after DBZ?
Everything they've tried after DBZ has taken a dive (except One Punch Man). So its not entirely Titan's fault.
So then, do you think OPM season 2 will have a ratings drop as well? I'm not sure, since we won't have to wait as long as AOT fans have. I still say the best route is to wait for it to finish airing in Japan, or at least try to get the dub on the air the same week.

Also, Samurai Jack marathon on the 27th. This'll be good if you feel like rewatching the season.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I think at this point OPM has surpassed AoT in general popularity in NA. I would assume the ratings would remain unchanged since there won't be nearly as big a gap between the seasons like there were for AoT.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 11, 2017, 07:52:09 PM
I think at this point OPM has surpassed AoT in general popularity in NA. I would assume the ratings would remain unchanged since there won't be nearly as big a gap between the seasons like there were for AoT.
What, really?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 11, 2017, 08:02:30 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 11, 2017, 07:52:09 PM
What, really?
Just a personal feeling. I see a lot of people going on about OPM, including non-anime fans and general audiences, like I used to for AoT. AoT doesn't get as much attention as it used to from non-anime fans.

gunswordfist

Surprising because AOT is/was huge. This would be incredible news to me.