Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

The Brave & The Bold would be a nice fit. That line up is missing any sense of whimsy or fun to it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Yeah, I have to third (or fourth?) that notion. It'd be a great opportunity to rerun the series again.

If we're talking about CN having a problem with their stuff airing on AS, though, wouldn't Brave and the Bold fall under the same set of circumstances? I really can't imagine why they'd care, but that sucks if this is indeed the case.

Rynnec

That's my biggest problem with this schedule as well. From what little I know of Casshern Sins, I do know that it's incredibly bleak and depressing, airing something mindless, fun, and adventrous like B&TB or Outlaw Star afterwords to ease up viewers would've been much welcomed.

Quote from: Kiddington on May 21, 2012, 06:04:57 PM
Yeah, I have to third (or fourth?) that notion. It'd be a great opportunity to rerun the series again.

If we're talking about CN having a problem with their stuff airing on AS, though, wouldn't Brave and the Bold fall under the same set of circumstances? I really can't imagine why they'd care, but that sucks if this is indeed the case.

yeah, that's probably the biggest strike against Brave and the Bold airing on [as]. It's a shame too, since CN doesn't rerun it at all.

Dr. Insomniac

Don't want to sound contrarian, but I think Brave & the Bold is maybe too goofy for late night. The tone between the other shows would clash too much. Then again, there have been weirder Toonami lineups.

Kiddington

I just don't understand how CN could possibly have a problem with this (their stuff airing on AS). I mean, it's not like they're actually doing anything with these aforementioned series.

Maybe I could sympathize if they were actually airing these shows themselves, but they're not, and haven't for quite a long time. PPG had a very, very brief return stint late in 2010; hasn't been seen since. Samurai Jack has been toiling away on Boomerang for years; outside of the vocal minority on toonzone, nobody cares about Boomerang. Brave and the Bold has always gotten the short of the end of the stick; I can't remember the last time it had an actual designated rerun slot (2008? 2009?). And Megas hasn't been seen on any television network of any degree for at least seven years.

If this continues to be the case, nothing but missed opportunities all around.

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 21, 2012, 06:18:52 PM
Then again, there have been weirder Toonami lineups.

Spark Of Spirit

Don't want to sound contrarian, but I think Brave & the Bold is maybe too goofy for late night. The tone between the other shows would clash too much. Then again, there have been weirder Toonami lineups.
It is- for this particular line up. But Toonami was all about variety at its peak, too. This line up is way too dry and uptight for my tastes.

Toonami had goofy stuff like Bo7, Dragonball, Duel Masters, and sometimes shows that skewed a bit younger. They need a bit more variety in tone than dark, dark, serious, and grimdark.

If it was me making the schedule with limited resources I would have tried for something like:

12:00 Megas XLR
12:30 Inuyasha Final Act
1:00 Bleach
1:30 Deadman Wonderland
2:00 Casshern Sins
2:30 Cowboy Bebop

Maybe not 1:1 to what they would do, but it ramps up a bit more in tone and content.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

At the very least, they should have Durarara!! instead of GitS in that slot.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 21, 2012, 06:28:51 PM
It is- for this particular line up. But Toonami was all about variety at its peak, too. This line up is way too dry and uptight for my tastes.

Toonami had goofy stuff like Bo7, Dragonball, Duel Masters, and sometimes shows that skewed a bit younger. They need a bit more variety in tone than dark, dark, serious, and grimdark.

If it was me making the schedule with limited resources I would have tried for something like:

12:00 Megas XLR
12:30 Inuyasha Final Act
1:00 Bleach
1:30 Deadman Wonderland
2:00 Casshern Sins
2:30 Cowboy Bebop

Maybe not 1:1 to what they would do, but it ramps up a bit more in tone and content.

That's a pretty good schedule right there. Just move Bleach to the premiere slot, have Casshern premiere at 1:00, and put Megas before Bebop, and it'd be perfect.

Adult Swim must've lost interest in Inuyasha or something, that's the only reason I could think why they wouldn't pick up Final Act.

Kiddington

Quote from: Rynnec on May 21, 2012, 06:38:01 PM
At the very least, they should have Durarara!! instead of GitS in that slot.

Speaking of which, is that just completely gone from the schedule now? I was a bit surprised not to see it there.

Rynnec

I guess so. AS must not care enough to finish its second run before its rights expire or something. Shame too, since that show would have felt right at home on Toonami.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm not the biggest Inuyasha fan, but it seems really strange that they didn't pick it up when they aired the original and hyped it so much. I honestly think it would get a lot of interest for older nostalgic fans as well as those who have long since abandoned the AS scene waiting for something to lure them back. A new show based on a hit franchise is usually a no-brainer.

Of course I would also put TB&TB and PPG/Samurai Jack in the 11:00 slot, but that's never going to happen in a million years.

Avaitor

As much as I love PPG, I don't want it back on Toonami at all. Even when the block was all about variety, it didn't sit well with the rest of the lineup, and it'd seem even more out of place now.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rynnec

I guess I can understand that. PPG always felt like a placeholder when it was on the old Midnight Run, it was basically filler for that timeslot until Ronin Warriors came along.

As far as CN originals on [as] Toonami goes, how would you guys feel about Sym-bionic Titan airing there? I've seen that one suggested a lot at the ASMB, and I think it would be a good fit considering how older it skewed.

Spark Of Spirit

I was just thinking of something lighthearted and action-y. Pick whatever show you want, but the block is going to need something like that to succeed.

Rynnec

Indeed. I think we can all agree that Toonami's worst years are when the block was stagnant with pretty much only one type of program (most of 2002, and 2007 to its first cancellation).

Avaitor

True enough, but I'd still rather not have PPG or Hamtaro back on.

If you need something in that vein, I'd also jump on the bandwagon for TB&TB.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/