Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I can see them taking a break with Gundam, since Unicorn has not been a hit to say the least. I think IBO did decently enough to warrant the second season coming by the end of the year, but it's time to give another underperformer a shot this generation.

I'm really excited for Part IV, but I do wonder why Mob Psycho 100 isn't happening yet, since that won the poll by a landslide. Lupin was last in it, but to be fair, it wasn't that distant from Tokyo Ghoul.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dreamer2

Quote from: Avaitor on May 19, 2017, 02:21:02 AM
I'm really excited for Part IV, but I do wonder why Mob Psycho 100 isn't happening yet, since that won the poll by a landslide. Lupin was last in it, but to be fair, it wasn't that distant from Tokyo Ghoul.

There could be a bunch of reasons, like cost or if the dub is even ready yet. I haven't been paying attention to the dub timeline, so I don't know how far along they are.

Or it could come down to what VLordGTZ said, with DeMarco seemingly being a big Lupin fan, maybe the Toonami team just preferred to get that one now. I think they tried to get Fujiko Mine a while back. So, it seems they really wanted something Lupin related on the block. And who knows maybe Mob Psycho 100 will replace Titan. It would be getting a better timeslot as well.

Spark Of Spirit

The series is completely dubbed.

It might be that Funimation will only give it to them if they promise to air another show that AS doesn't feel like. Could be anything really.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dreamer2

Well if that's the case than like you said there could be many reasons. Lots of options for Toonami moving forward. It'll be interesting to see what they do.

I still want My Hero Academia. I've been putting off watching it hoping Toonami picks it up, but maybe I should just start it some time. Or maybe I should just read the manga.

Spark Of Spirit

Mob, MHA, and Ushio & Tora are the series I'd like to see show up the most, but I think the first is the most probable. I don't expect MHA until after season 2 is done, and I don't expect U&T unless Sentai finally gets another show on the block.

But yeah, I highly recommend reading or watching MHA. Best thing currently running in Jump.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

It only just premiered, but Lupin seems like a bomb for Toonami. A shockingly high amount of viewers dropped out and tuned back in for Naruto. Do you think that this is another series that just won't catch on stateside?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Ugh, that would be my guess. I don't get why casuals won't even give Lupin a try.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

If Part IV won't appeal to US casuals, then nothing in the franchise will. Toonami viewers prefer hyperviolent shonen action stuff, and anything else fails to perform. Lupin's just not the kind of show that mainstream anime consumers gravitate towards.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's mostly the mainstream shonen that get the views on Toonami, and even then, it takes either nostalgia or a superficial "cool" factor to get a large enough audience invested in a show. Dragon Ball Z/Super and Naruto secure views thanks to the former factor, whereas stuff like Attack on Titan and One Punch Man did well because of the latter, with AoT being The Walking Dead of anime (in that it's popular and entertaining so long as you don't stop to think how stupid its writing and characters are), whereas OPM is sort of like the Deadpool of anime in that it's simultaneously parodying and celebrating its genre of inspiration. And then there's stuff like Sword Art Online....still not sure how or why that even has an audience to begin with, but it's a thing that exists, and apparently it had a successful run on Toonami....which it boggles my mind just thinking about.

Stuff that strays too far from the norm just don't tend to do as well, with Space Dandy being among the few exceptions. And also, despite fitting into the shonen category, One Piece didn't do very well because Toonami had to start it in the middle of its run, except a large chunk of the audience never really watched OP back in the day like they did for DBZ and Naruto, and didn't want to play catch-up to such an already long series. The art-style may also have been a turn off. Stuff like Hunter X Hunter fairs a bit better, but of the TZ crowd is any indications, it's unorthodox story structure actually doesn't work too well for a lot of people, and it's the more familiar shonen elements that seem to keep a moderately sized audience at least lukewarm enough on the show to justify keeping it around.

At any rate, something like My Hero Academia would likely do quite well on Toonami, as well as Mob Psycho 100 if viewers can be more accepting of its unique art-style. Meanwhile, something like Blood Blockade Battlefront, while being a suitable fit for the block, probably wouldn't jive with the majority of people who regularly tune in to Toonami.

Avaitor

Parasyte seems to be the last non-shonen series to make a big splash on Toonami. You'd think that they should try more horror series... except Tokyo Ghoul's not really breaking records, either.

New blog!

Dreamer2

Did Parasyte do all that well ratings wise? I thought it's ratings were decent, but nothing too special. Kind of like HxH. Of course we can never know the full extent of ratings, since DVR, On demand, and views on the AS website probably play a big role in determining how well a show is doing.

Avaitor

I'll admit that I didn't check the ratings as much at that point, but I thought that it hit a mill or close to somewhat often. But I think the block was also doing better on a whole back then.

It did also get a repeat slot, albeit at 3 am.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

The followup to Parasyte will probably depend on if Sentai is going to push one of their newer shows for Toonami. I'm just hoping it's U&T and not Gate or something.

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Avaitor on June 21, 2017, 11:12:41 PM
I'll admit that I didn't check the ratings as much at that point, but I thought that it hit a mill or close to somewhat often. But I think the block was also doing better on a whole back then.

It did also get a repeat slot, albeit at 3 am.
I remember Demarco mentioning that they re-ran Parasyte since its performance exceeded their expectations, so I'd say that it was a success.  I'm surprised Toonami hasn't had another Sentai pick-up since both AgK and Parasyte did well on the block, but it's possible that Sentai wants to focus on their Anime Strike and HiDive streaming partnerships moving forward. 

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on June 21, 2017, 08:15:02 PM
If Part IV won't appeal to US casuals, then nothing in the franchise will. Toonami viewers prefer hyperviolent shonen action stuff, and anything else fails to perform. Lupin's just not the kind of show that mainstream anime consumers gravitate towards.
I pretty much agree with this.  While Lupin has a cult following within the western anime fandom, it doesn't appeal to casual anime viewing audiences.  Maybe it's a good thing that S&P prevented them from airing The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, because if Part IV is doing bad then I can't imagine how hard that would have bombed.  :-\ 

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Avaitor on June 21, 2017, 11:05:59 AM
Do you think that this is another series that just won't catch on stateside?
"Think?" More like know. Lupin never took off in the US. That's why Discotek has it now, it's sales poison.