Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

Oh wow, what a surprise. Yet ANOTHER fucking shounen jump show when something like Drifters or Vanishing Line would've been far more appropriate. :unimpressed:

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 17, 2017, 05:05:16 PM
If he really hasn't tried to get one of the most popular recent anime series because of a dumb assumption then I question how much he really pays attention to his job.

You really shouldn't expect much from an SAO and Naruto fan.

Lord Dalek

If he really hasn't tried to get one of the most popular recent anime series because of a dumb assumption then I question how much he really pays attention to his job.

What do you expect from a guy who thinks Broly The Legendary Super Saiyan is a better movie than End of Evangelion?

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Lord Dalek on November 17, 2017, 07:40:27 PM

What do you expect from a guy who thinks Broly The Legendary Super Saiyan is a better movie than End of Evangelion?
Okay, source on this? I want a link so I can laugh.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on November 17, 2017, 07:43:20 PM

Okay, source on this? I want a link so I can laugh.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/01/the-100-best-anime-movies-of-all-time.html?p=2

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Out of curiosity did this guy also still claim to be an SAO fan after the tentacle rape scene? I recall him saying that he decided to get the rights to air SAO after only watching a few episodes (or maybe that was someone else from the Toonami crew), but did he genuinely not second guess this by the time they got to "that episode." Because if not, then I'm seriously questioning what exactly his standards for good or even appropriate entertainment are.

VLordGTZ

Based on Demarco and Gill's Toonami Pre-flight discussion of SAO around the time Season 2 aired on the block, it doesn't seem like they ever ended up watching past the initial episodes.  Even then, SAO had already done really well on the block, so regardless of his personal opinion, I doubt he'd openly say that he dislikes it.

As for Black Clover being on Toonami......eh whatever.  The anime is a very mediocre adaption of the manga but still not the worst thing the block has aired by a long shot.  I think the big reason we're getting this over MHA is that Funimation insists on making Black Clover the "next hit battle shonen" in the US by having it on as many venues as possible, and they probably cut a good deal with Toonami to air the show as a result.  It's not going to happen, but they sure as hell will try.

gunswordfist

Quote from: VLordGTZ on November 18, 2017, 02:23:44 AM
Based on Demarco and Gill's Toonami Pre-flight discussion of SAO around the time Season 2 aired on the block, it doesn't seem like they ever ended up watching past the initial episodes.  Even then, SAO had already done really well on the block, so regardless of his personal opinion, I doubt he'd openly say that he dislikes it.

As for Black Clover being on Toonami......eh whatever.  The anime is a very mediocre adaption of the manga but still not the worst thing the block has aired by a long shot.  I think the big reason we're getting this over MHA is that Funimation insists on making Black Clover the "next hit battle shonen" in the US by having it on as many venues as possible, and they probably cut a good deal with Toonami to air the show as a result.  It's not going to happen, but they sure as hell will try.
Voice of reason.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

SAO is awful and even offensive but it brings in the big bucks so I can definitely understand why Toonami airs it and Demarco defends it.

gunswordfist

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on November 19, 2017, 12:34:53 AM
Offensive?
It has a very regressive portrayal of women even compared to other anime.

gunswordfist

Oh right, think I've heard a bit about that.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: VLordGTZ on November 18, 2017, 02:23:44 AMAs for Black Clover being on Toonami......eh whatever.  The anime is a very mediocre adaption of the manga but still not the worst thing the block has aired by a long shot.  I think the big reason we're getting this over MHA is that Funimation insists on making Black Clover the "next hit battle shonen" in the US by having it on as many venues as possible, and they probably cut a good deal with Toonami to air the show as a result.  It's not going to happen, but they sure as hell will try.
The thing about that is MHA cost them a lot of money, gets a lot of critical and streaming attention, and the manga sells on the level with OPM and AoT. Black Clover is nowhere near any of that.

They're pushing one show at the cost of one that could really put it (and them) over. It's very silly.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Maybe they don't want it to suffer from overexposure? Previous hyped up shows like JoJo aren't the ratings killers as expected, so maybe Funi think pushing another slightly lesser known show would be more beneficial. Still doesn't excuse the fact that literally every other action show airing this season would've been a way better fit than Naruto 2.0, but then again this is DeMarco and co. so...

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 19, 2017, 09:06:14 PM
The thing about that is MHA cost them a lot of money, gets a lot of critical and streaming attention, and the manga sells on the level with OPM and AoT. Black Clover is nowhere near any of that.

They're pushing one show at the cost of one that could really put it (and them) over. It's very silly.
With MHA though, the series has already been a huge success for Funimation so they probably won't sell the broadcasting rights for particularly cheap.  With Black Clover, it's also a series that cost them a lot of money to get, but unlike MHA, the returns so far have been lukewarm at best.  From that perspective, it makes sense to push a Black Clover TV deal so that they can turn a profit on their purchase of the rights. 

BC is also probably more appealing to Toonami as well since it's a newer show and a long-runner, which they prefer since lineup consistency tends to retain viewership better.  With MHA, there's the risk of it not doing well since the dub has already been out for a long time, including on major streaming sites like Hulu.  I'd much rather have MHA on the block, but I can see why BC is likely a more appealing pick up.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 19, 2017, 09:06:14 PM
Quote from: VLordGTZ on November 18, 2017, 02:23:44 AMAs for Black Clover being on Toonami......eh whatever.  The anime is a very mediocre adaption of the manga but still not the worst thing the block has aired by a long shot.  I think the big reason we're getting this over MHA is that Funimation insists on making Black Clover the "next hit battle shonen" in the US by having it on as many venues as possible, and they probably cut a good deal with Toonami to air the show as a result.  It's not going to happen, but they sure as hell will try.

I kind of assumed One Punch Man's comic sales were niche level. Even then, AoT level? Really? Wut?