Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

In hindsight, I'm pretty okay with not getting a new series right now. It'll give me one less thing to watch, and more time to catch up on other things. Or two less to watch, I guess, since I'm done with Black Clover. It's gotten a little better by episode 3, but I don't think this one is going to do anything for me.

Quote from: Lord Dalek on January 06, 2018, 03:56:37 PM
Its not that Adult Swim can't get Ushio and Tora. Its just nobody cares about it but you Desen.
Well, that was unnecessary.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

VLordGTZ

Yeah, if you want an enjoyable experience with Black Clover, the only way to get it is the manga.  The series is nowhere near the heights of MHA or Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, but it's still a fun read. 

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on January 07, 2018, 12:37:10 AM
As for Seinen anime, Garo would definitely be pretty awesome. I must admit that Kouta Hirano's lack of ability to actually write a cohesive story kind of got me bored of Drifters after the novelty of the concept wore off for me, but it would still be entertaining for those viewing it for the first time. Blood Blockade Battlefront would probably be Toonmi's best current option in this regard, though, IMO.

BBB is still a shonen anime since it's a Jump Square Crown title.  :sweat:

I'd kill for it to be on the block though, especially since it has 2 cours worth of eps that Toonami can run now.

I haven't been watching Toonami consistently for a while, so I'm not too bothered by another re-run.  I am curious what show Demarco was planning to air initially, but I'm leaning towards it being a contract flub rather than some huge premiere title.  Either way, I don't see this as that bad of thing since it's not like Toonami is losing a premiere slot for more re-runs permanently.

gunswordfist

While I am now fully on team streaming, it doesn't look like Toonami is doing too bad at all with their show selections. Outside of apparently having stupid reasons (something about Netflix?) as to why they don't have Mob and/or MHA, they've gotten pretty much every other recent anime that I like (HXH, Super, Jojo, One Punch, etc.). If their budget is still limited then they are doing a damn good job in my book.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Much as I would like Ushio & Tora, yeah, it's not very well known. But of all the shows Sentai has I can't really think of a better fit for that block. Especially since it's the exact type of show that made them what they are in first place. But, yes, it's not for everyone.

It's certainly a better choice than Black Clover.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

So why do they do marathons? I haven't heard a single person say a good thing about Toonami marathons, their ratings always take a huge hit that lasts for months, and by the time it sort of evens out, we get another marathon. It's like punching yourself in the face and thinking that will make you stronger.

Avaitor

From what I understand, they do marathons during holiday weekends, when they expect low ratings anyway. I kind of get it, although I've never been much for holidays myself.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Daxdiv

Remember when they used to air movies during the times they thought ratings for their new stuff would be at a low, then scrapped it because the ratings tanked despite the fact that they aired movies that already aired on Toonami a year before? Good times.

Avaitor

Oh, I forgot to mention this, but my comic book shop back home does weekly trivia nights, and back in August they had one for Toonami. They initially wanted to do two separate ones for it, with this one being for its first decade, and a later one for the more recent years, but the turnout wasn't that high for this one, so I'm not sure if they'll get to it. That said, I volunteered to help write questions, and they used a lot of them.

Here are the questions for it.

Section A
1. Who is the pilot of the Wing Gundam?

2. What is the powerful jewel that Sailor Moon protects?

3. What kind of sword does Kenshin have, from Rurouni Kenshin?

4. Which Hokuge was Naruto's father?

5.In The original Teen Titans name the members of Titans East.

Section B
1. From Outlaw Star, what is Aisha's race?

2. What is the name of the alien species that arrives on Earth during Robotech?

3. What is the name of Ryo's tiger in Ronin Warriors?

4. What 80's classic aired during the last block of Toonami's Midnight Run?

5. In Dragon Ball Z, who cut off Vegeta's tail?

Section C
1. What is Domon Kasha's winning move in G Gundam?

2. What are the subtitles for the following four seasons of Sailor Moon?

3. From One Piece, what is the first arc that aired on Toonami dubbed by Funimation?

4. What is the name of the soul collecting demon Aku sends to defeat Jack?

5. What kind of animal is Ryo-Ohki, from Tenchi Muyo!?

Section D
1. In the episode "Almost Got 'Im", which villain was actually Batman in disguise from the Animate series?

2. What is the source of the Thundercats powers, and where is it accessed?

3. Name all the number androids that make their first appearance in Dragon Ball Z?

4. What do all of the citizens in Big O's Paradigm City have in common?

5. How many Clow Cards are there in Cardcaptors/Cardcaptor Sakura?

Section E
1. In Yu Yu Hakusho, What is Kuwabara's first name?

2. What is the name of Kenshin's successor and rival, Rurouni Kenshin?

3. What is the name of Terry's girlfriend in Batman Beyond?

4. In the Original Dragon Ball, what name does Master Roshi use to disguise himself in the show's first World Marital Arts Tournament?

5. What school do the Powerpuff Girls go to?

Section F
1. Who voiced the original TOM (hint: it's not Steve Blum)

2. What does XLR stand for in Megas XLR?

3. What is the name of the system ReBoot takes place in? (hint: also the same name as the studio responsible for it)

4. What is the name of Naruto's team?

5. Which character does Pamela Isley date before revealing herself as Poison Ivy?

New blog!

Daikun

Well, it looks like Toonami will be jumping straight into the Egypt Arc of Stardust Crusaders after all. Tonight's lineup promo showed clips from the second half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX0snP5Lvwc

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

I would recommend watching the last eleven episodes even if you're not much of a JoJo fan. It's very exciting material.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

I haven't been watching Toonami lately, but with this, the Goku Black arc, and the Chimera Ant arc all airing now, I might need to start up again.

gunswordfist

Oh shit, they started Chimera Ant?!

Daikun

Quote from: gunswordfist on January 23, 2018, 01:15:52 AMOh shit, they started Chimera Ant?!

It started in December.

Daikun

According to this Tweet, the new seasons of FLCL premiere in the Summer. It might be the replacement for DBZ Kai, since it's expected to end in mid-June.