Contra - The 25th Anniversary Thread!

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 31, 2012, 10:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

And there's the nail in the coffin.

Oh well, it is still a great series. Just a shame that it's over now.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Bought Contra IV while out of town the other day. While it's an enjoyable game without a doubt, I really wish you had unlimited continues or a konami code that gave you more continues rather than extra lives. As someone who plays shmups casually (bullet hells included) this, along with the lack of a level select really hampers my enjoyment of the overall package, especially since the unlockable goodies are hidden behind a challenge mode only made available after beating the game. This really feels like it was meant more for die-hard fans rather than both veterans and newcomers alike, in that regard I think Hard Corps Uprising is the better game to get newcomers into given how unforgiving Contra IV is.

Spark Of Spirit

It might be more suited to veterans since I did basically master it once upon a time. Contra IV is pure pattern recognition that requires dedication to get as well as managing your weapons so that you always have at least one upgraded machinegun or homing.

There is a Konami code, though. There's a few codes here.

I actually did the 99 lives trick a few times back in the day. It really helps you understand the levels and enemy patterns better since you have more time to fool around.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton