Comics/Manga Discussion Thread

Started by gunswordfist, June 11, 2012, 06:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Speak on subjects not covered in other threads here.

I'll start: Civil War sucks, House Of M is one of the biggest waste of potential I've ever seen. The last thing I was interested in in the Marvel universe was their cosmic/space universe...but apparently they killed that off. Yeah, that doesn't even make sense but that's what I hear.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

You know, I like JSM' run on Amazing Spider-Man. It was lauded when he was working on it, but now his run seems to be tainted with him ending off with Brand New Day. But I still think that he brought in some much needed life to Spidey and his mythology when he was there.

BND is awful, yes, but I'm willing to forgive Straczynski for that considering that it was Joe Quesada's meddling through and through. You can tell that JMS is grinding his teeth throughout if you actually take the time to read it. The return of Gwen Stacy drama also was unneeded and pretty tacky overall, but even then, I can see what he was going for there. And although it also gets a bit of a bum rap nowadays, I like his 9/11 issue. If anyone should have the right to look at the travesty and comment on it right after it happened, it should be Spider-Man. He's nearly synonymous with the city at this point in history.

Truthfully, he made some very good stories for Spidey, had a solid hold of the character, and added some genius ideas. I especially applaud him for finally letting Aunt May in on her nephew's secret, and not messing with either character in the process.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

I did like what I read up to that, which I talked about in the other thread.

When/if they are collected, I want to get:
Saga
Nick Fury MAX
X-O Manowar (reboot)
And that Hardcore #! preview season

Avaitor

Bryan Lee O'Malley posted this on his tumblr.

"To be perfectly honest, I thought of a way to continue / expand the story of Scott and Ramona. I don?t know if I?ll ever do it, and I can?t tell you what it is, but I thought of a pretty good way. It would pick up the ?main? storyline a couple of years later, and incorporate all the main characters (minus the evil ex-boyfriends and Gideon).

A creator can?t help but think about these things sometimes.

Like I?ve said before, after I finish my current graphic novel Seconds I?m planning to start a brand-new series that I?m very excited about, but maybe in a few years I?d think about playing with Scott Pilgrim some more"

Discuss.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

I thought the ending of the series was perfect...and I think he kind of hinted that Ramona and Scott's relationship did go well which was kind of a mystery. I'd of course pick it up asap day 1 but I don't think it's necessary.

Avaitor

Yeah, there isn't much need for a continuation, but I love the characters enough that I'd like to see them again.

Maybe he can make a one-off chapter every now and then to keep us updated, but I don't see there being much of a need for another series.

New blog!

Commode

Take those ideas and make an animated serial or something.  It doesn't have to be a full-blown series, but a several episode arc would be awesome.

Unless he's choosing to take the Calvin and Hobbes route and doesn't want to have his characters animated(the one Adult Swim special aside).
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

I don't see why he'd feel that way, if we got the special and the movie. But he may very well be, I'm not sure.

The good thing about O'Malley having a tumblr is that he answers every question he receives, and publicly too. I might have to ask him about that later.

New blog!

gunswordfist

I was actually thinking about something along the lines of an animated sitcom on the series. Since sitcoms never really change anything, they could use that format to have a storyline where nothing really major happens.

Dr. Insomniac

But that's what made Scott Pilgrim special. That things changed and progressed with each book.

gunswordfist

What I mean is Scott doesn't really need another major arc again. I think the show should just let us see what the gang is up to years later.

Avaitor

Well I do personally think that as an extended series, Scott Pilgrim might lost its appeal, certain characters will become less endearing, and O'Malley can easily run out of ideas. Scott already was a bit of an idiot in the GNs, and I'm afraid that I'd grow to be annoyed by him if it went on.

An occasional chapter or special here or there would be nice, but I don't know if lightning can strike twice with another graphic novel series or a cartoon.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Yeah and it could make the comics' story less meaningful. Meaning if it's anything about Ramona and Scott having trouble keeping their relationship together, then it would be like Scott what through all of those events in the books for nothing. I'm fine with nothing or a small series. I don't see O'Malley pulling off a T2 or Legend Of The Drunken Master (reference drop :sly: )

Kiddington

I'd be down for an animated series myself.

This reminds me, though; I still need to do a refresher on the actual novels one of these days. I'm still way behind.

Nel_Annette

I'd be down for a series focusing on someone else in their group. Maybe the way their world works changes on whose perspective we're seeing? That'd be an interesting thing.

Man, I still remember the day I bought volume one. I was in a Borders looking for something knew, saw it on the shelf, and thought, "Hey, the guy who did the art for The Windwaker has a comic book!" Rest is history.

Also seconding an animated series.  :thumbup: