Comics/Manga Discussion Thread

Started by gunswordfist, June 11, 2012, 06:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

FUCK YES

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I must read this....

Also, speaking of comics, a friend of mine loaned me Superman: Birthright, since he said he considered it a good origin story and since he knows that I'd most likely get confused with other comic book stories ingrained deep into the continuity and mythos of the DC Universe. I read the first 3 parts so far, and I think its pretty good, but I'm a total newbie when it comes to comics, so that's just my opinion so far.

gunswordfist

Holy whoa. I am so behind on Deadpool only because they've been releasing so many of his comics. I still got to finish Daniel Way's run and start Deadpool Classic, Deadpool MAX, Deadpool Corps, Here Comes The Deadpool and Deadpool Vs. The World if that's out. Oh and I love Iron Fist so double count me in.
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 17, 2013, 02:08:12 PM
I must read this....

Also, speaking of comics, a friend of mine loaned me Superman: Birthright, since he said he considered it a good origin story and since he knows that I'd most likely get confused with other comic book stories ingrained deep into the continuity and mythos of the DC Universe. I read the first 3 parts so far, and I think its pretty good, but I'm a total newbie when it comes to comics, so that's just my opinion so far.
Birthright is my 2nd favorite Superman comic. In my unpopular it's better than Red Son. (Which I also love and is my 3rd favorite Supe comic)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Personally, I'd recommend Deadpool Classic, Deadpool Max, and the current run over those others. Not a big fan of Way's 'Pool or Corps. (Still picking up the video game on day 1, though!) If by Deadpool Vs. The World, you mean Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe, that one is pretty awesome too.

gunswordfist

Yeah Way's DP is the only series I read that had weak Deadpool stories. I'm still trying to finish Classic (which is my favorite) and yeah,  I meant Deapool Kills The Marvel Universe :D

gunswordfist

Wait, Lovers & Madmen is canon? That explains why so many hate it. I think it's the best Joker origin comic (much more than The Man Who Laughs and I like The Killing Joke more but it doesn't count, imo) but by no means should it be canon. That's ridiculous.

gunswordfist

favorite origin tales:

2. spider-man noir
1. superman birthright

gunswordfist

favorite justice leaguer (comics only)

5. plastic man
4. hal jordan
3. green arrow
2. superman
1. batman

the around 2000 version of plastic man seemed just like his brave and bold iteration that he predates and that's the one i listed.

gunswordfist

favorite comic book noir characters:

8. Agent Philip Graves
7. Tao (kind of, sort of a low rent Sakyo)
6. Dizzy Cordova
5. Riley Richards
4. Milo
3. Tracy Lawless
2. Wylie Times
1. Lono

gunswordfist

my favorite robot characters from most media:

9. Vision (Avengers: EMH)
8. T-800
7. Danger
6. Atomic Robo
5. Cameron
4. Scud
3. J
2. T-1000 and T-800
1. Joe Pi - It seems like Alan Moore teamed up with Togashi to make this manga-esque robot. One of the most instantly likable characters I have ever encountered and he's just as intelligent to boot.

gunswordfist

i've thinking, outside of john carpenter's the thing, which could be no. 1 for me, all of my favorite fictional stories are in western comics. I might be forgeting a few, but my top ones are: 100 Bullets, Watchmen, The Walking Dead and All-Star Superman, possibly in that order. I think of 100 Bullets as my favorite comic ever and Watchmen as the best, if that makes sense. Superman Birthright or Classic Deadpool and maybe, likely a few others could take the 5th spot for my list. I like them more than either FMA anime. More than Samurai Champloo. More than Samurai Jack. More than Dexter's Laboratory. More than Rurouni Kenshin manga. More than Samurai Executioner...Those are my top 2/3 titles in cartoons, anime and manga. :)

I have been thinking about, for live action and animation, I tend to like more action based series but for comics, not so much. While action is clearly a part of my favorites, series like Watchmen and TWD aren't that action packed.

Lastly, The Walking Dead and American Vampire are my favorite currently running series from any form of fiction period. American Vampire is another candidate for my top 5...and I have only read about 3 Volumes of it. For comparison sake, I was reading Scalped around the same time I started AV. I love Scalped. I've read a few volumes of Scalped by the time I read one of American Vampire. AV clearky trumped what I read of Scalped. By around volume 2, there was no way I could enjoy Scalped more than AV. It was that good to me. I wonder if it could get into my top 3...There's not a form of fiction, except a few video games with my brothers lol, that I have liked more than The Walking Dead comics and American Vampire over the last few years.

Ok, rant over. Lol. This is really a lot of small things I tried to put under one subject. I will follow this up with a few more lists later.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I do tend to like more story and character-driven series than action-packed ones, myself, hence why many of my favorite manga are stuff like Ashita no Joe, Ode to Kirihito, REAL, Monster, 20th Century Boys, Death Note, A Silent Voice, and so on.

gunswordfist

I know. I am a self-confessed action junkie myself but there's something about deeper stories that can be more appealing to me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I love action as well, of course. Knightfall is really appealing to me and the first volume has been awesomely action-packed. Same with manga like Dragon Ball and various other classics, some of which are also among my favorites. But, much like you, when it comes to comics/manga, it's the dramas or character-driven genre stories that really stick with me. Hence why, in my very limited exposure to Western comics (I do eventually plan to remedy that), Watchmen is my favorite comic, and I love what I've read of The Walking Dead. And, as I've already elaborated, most of my favorite manga aren't really action series.

gunswordfist

Half of my favorites (out of two lol) manga isn't action-based. The half would be Samurai Executioner. It features a lot of stories with numerous characters in usually dire situation. The setting, which is much more realistic than any non-live action feudal Japan I've ever seen, the writing and character interactions is what makes it interesting for me. The main character doesn't even get into a real fight until several volumes in.

I am a fan of character focused stories. A few of my favorites have protagonists that mostly just hang out and discuss things. That makes the moments when they do things like kill zombies or gangsters that much more special.