Futurama

Started by Commode, December 27, 2010, 11:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Nel on March 04, 2012, 07:54:05 PM
I don't really like the gender swap episode that much either, but the rock monster was hilarious.

"Perhaps it was I who learned the lesson... or something."
Haha, yeah. He had some good lines. I also love everybody's disappointed reactions when he shows up again.

Such a weird character.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

So I got through season 6 and I thought it was an improvement. There's still a few forgettable episodes, but as a whole it definitely feels like a step up from season 5. And there were no horrendously awful ones, either.

As a whole, only The Late Philip J. Fry comes close to touching series peaks like Godfellas, Jurassic Bark, Bender's Big Score, or Roswell That Ends Well, and as a whole it just doesn't match up to the first 4 seasons. But there are some really good episodes like Law & Oracle, Mobius Dick, That Darn Katz! (well, I liked it), Ghost In The Machines, Cold Warriors, Lrrreconcilable Ndndifferences, The Mutants Are Revolting, the two premiere episodes, Overclockwise, and Tip Of The Zoidberg are the strongest episodes by far.

On the other hand there were some misses like Reincarnation, Neutopia, Holiday Spectacular, A Clockwork Origin, Benderama, The Duh-Vinci Code, and Attack Of The Killer App just didn't work all that well and feel like a waste of time.

So it was overall a pretty average season. Which is a shame purely because Futurama has never actually had an average season before. But there are enough highlights to hope for improvement in season 7.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Do you count volume 5 as season 5 and volume 6 as season 6, or do you count the movies as season 5 and volumes 5 & 6 as season 6?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on March 08, 2012, 02:26:42 PM
Do you count volume 5 as season 5 and volume 6 as season 6, or do you count the movies as season 5 and volumes 5 & 6 as season 6?
Oh God, the movie situation...

I kind of just put it at:

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Bender's Big Score
Beast With A Billion Backs
Bender's Game
Into The Wild Green Yonder
Season 5 (13 episodes)
Season 6 (13 episodes)

I don't really count the chopped up movies as episodes.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I finally managed to mostly catch up with the series. I still have 3 episodes of season 6 left, but I've pretty much gone through most of the new (well, not so new anymore, but at least relative to the rest of the series) episodes since the series started airing on Comedy Central.

Honestly, I still think its really good. Season 5 got off to an awkward start and had some pretty crappy episodes in the run, but I feel that we got some really funny episodes during the 2nd half of the season. Then season 6 came along and up until now it has been a lot more consistent than season 5. I suppose if I had to give out one problem I have with these 2 seasons, its that while they have enough good episodes, there's nothing I've seen from them that truly stands out, something that I could consider to be on par with the best episodes of this series (something that each of the first 4 seasons have at least a few of). There isn't one episode I can point out to that is downright brilliant in execution and that I would re-watch multiple times. That said most episodes that I have seen were entertaining and were still fairly well in-line with this series' sense of humor, and I'm still glad that the series even got these 2 seasons.

Basically, I'd still say it deserves its high rank on our top 65 animated series list.

Spark Of Spirit

It was fine, but nothing really all that spectacular. Hopefully they learned for the newer stuff, because a lot of that stuff was just boring.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I didn't find season 6 boring at all, and I liked a good chunk of episodes from season 5 whereas there were a few I just hated. I think the only parts of the series where I was just left downright bored and feeling indifferent to anything were with 3 of the 4 movies (Bender's Big Score was the only one I genuinely enjoyed).

Spark Of Spirit

Season 6 as a whole was better than 5, for sure, but there was nothing that really stood out to me. It was awful, but it wasn't all that engaging for me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, that's basically the same thing I said, but even so it still had a good run of episodes, IMO. That is to say, I still enjoyed what I watched, even if it wasn't anything memorable. Besides, I'm just glad that the TV episodes were a huge step up from the movies, which to me were the lowest point of the series (not that they were all that bad, but they were pretty bland, to be honest). Basically they've had 2 attempts at the series since then and have gotten better with each one. So, going by that track record, if we ever see a season 7, I wouldn't be surprised if we finally got some high-profile episodes again. There were a couple in season 6 that had the potential to be great, if that means anything at all.

Spark Of Spirit

I don't know if they'll reach lows as bad as BWABB, season 5 came close in spots, but I can only hope that season 7 will be a step back towards how good the first 4 seasons and movie was. It's kind of hard to judge since season 6 was the same production run as 5, so hopefully they learned as they were making them and judged reception accordingly.

Dr. Insomniac

Foggle

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dr. Ensatsu-ken