Futurama

Started by Commode, December 27, 2010, 11:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

Matt Groening's other show.

It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Personally this show appealed to me more than The Simpsons. That isn't to say that I haven't loved what I've seen of the earlier Simpsons episodes, but Futurama just entertained me more than I ever would have expected back when I started watching it. I find everything from the first 4 seasons, and the first direct to video movie, to be quality entertainment. Admittedly I stopped watching it when Comedy Central was airing the new season. It wasn't because the new episodes weren't as interesting to me (I mean, that was the case, but that wasn't why I stopped watching it), but for some reason I just forgot it was on....maybe because it was less interesting to me and hence I forgot about it....so maybe that was the reason after all.

Spark Of Spirit

I like Futurama. It came around just as the Simpsons was getting weaker for me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

The new season was hit or miss, but I'll have to admit that I haven't seen every episode yet.

The original stuff will never get old, however.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

The best "adult" cartoon, IMO. Some of the newer episodes were kind of weak (That Darn Katz comes to mind), but the majority of them were absolutely hilarious and just as good as the stuff from the earlier seasons.

Avaitor

Since the new season starts this Thursday, I figured I should bump this thread now.

Anyway, I've caught up with what I missed from last season, which somehow only ended up to be one episode.
Overall, the first new season turned out to be pretty good for the most part. I think there were more weak eps here than in previous seasons, but at least the show hasn't made a 180 in its content like Family Guy did when it came back.

If anything, there were too many episodes spoofing current events, like the interspecies marriage and creationism eps, which I felt weren't done too well. Futurama has done a great job with satire before, but some of the episodes didn't feel any special or were done too much better than how some other shows handled them. I think the season was at its best when it stuck to combining the show's signature sharp wit and fun pop culture references with it's sweet side, like "The Late Philip J. Fry", which was m favorite from the season.

If the new season can do more eps like that instead of "That Darn Katz", I can't wait.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Commode

I don't know what they were thinking when they did "That Darn Katz".  It just seems like an idea that you would have an extremely hard time getting to work.

I don't know how I'll be able to view the new season, since I don't have cable(didn't have cable for the last season either; I had them downloaded but that hard drive got wiped), but I guess I'll get to it eventually.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 27, 2010, 11:47:33 PM
Personally this show appealed to me more than The Simpsons. That isn't to say that I haven't loved what I've seen of the earlier Simpsons episodes, but Futurama just entertained me more than I ever would have expected back when I started watching it. I find everything from the first 4 seasons, and the first direct to video movie, to be quality entertainment. Admittedly I stopped watching it when Comedy Central was airing the new season. It wasn't because the new episodes weren't as interesting to me (I mean, that was the case, but that wasn't why I stopped watching it), but for some reason I just forgot it was on....maybe because it was less interesting to me and hence I forgot about it....so maybe that was the reason after all.
That season sucked. Maybe it's because I set my expectations way too high after the 2nd episode became my 2nd favorite or the fact that I missed most of the episodes but yeah, I was not impressed
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I actually haven't kept up with it at all because I don't watch Comedy Central any more, but did they really get so heavy handed with their social commentary? That's the one thing I loved about the first 4 seasons was how they took a moderate position and explored all the points while keeping in line with the plot.

To hear that it, like every other adult cartoon, has lowered itself to the Family Guy standard of lunkhead comedy draining "STOP THE SHOW I HAVE SOMETHING IMPORTANT TO SAY" is massively disappointing.

Futurama was awesome because it could do everything and still remain a comedy show at its heart. It should definitely not be taking commentary lessons from Family Guy of all shows.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Desensitized on June 21, 2011, 03:52:56 PM
I actually haven't kept up with it at all because I don't watch Comedy Central any more, but did they really get so heavy handed with their social commentary? That's the one thing I loved about the first 4 seasons was how they took a moderate position and explored all the points while keeping in line with the plot.

To hear that it, like every other adult cartoon, has lowered itself to the Family Guy standard of lunkhead comedy draining "STOP THE SHOW I HAVE SOMETHING IMPORTANT TO SAY" is massively disappointing.

Futurama was awesome because it could do everything and still remain a comedy show at its heart. It should definitely not be taking commentary lessons from Family Guy of all shows.

No, I find that to be a HUGE exaggeration, personally. It did get way more obvious with its social commentary, but it didn't get anywhere close to dropping to Family Guy levels of low in that department. Of course, to be fair I missed quite a few episodes in the season, but from what I can tell other people will at least agree that the show is still miles better than Family Guy became after its revival.

Avaitor

It's not as heavy-handed as Family Guy or South Park at all, but the episodes did go overboard with relying on current events to make up a story. It's still Futurama, albeit more socially aware than before.

New blog!

Sketch

Futurama is my mature audience targeted comedy of choice. It's the only one other than Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law that I have on DVD

Great characters, hilarious gags and the occasion very touching moment in the mix. It's really sharply written and when it returned it didn't lose any of that charm. It'll probably get tired eventually but for now it never fails to entertain me.

Solid start for the new batch of episodes. Funny way to make some "yo mamma" jokes in the second episode and I thought the Neutopia episode was quite hilarious all around.

Avaitor

We didn't bump this thread for the list? This is a good one to bring it back on.

Anyone been keeping up with the new eps?

New blog!

Foggle

That picture is precisely what makes Futurama the greatest "adult" comedy cartoon of all time.

Spark Of Spirit

The right side were cute moments, but nowhere near as touching as the ones on the left or that part at the end of Bender's Big Score.