Create Your Dream Channel

Started by Avaitor, June 14, 2012, 12:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

What the thread says

Or: Rip to pieces my idea

Basically, diid you see my last post in this thread? I want a channel like that, which would air Disney films from all eras. I know that the animated films get complicated to air, depending on what's on their major schedules or not, but there's enough that you can air with no problem, plus hundreds of live-action films. Some great ones that get over looked, in fact. You can also air some Disney programming, from the original days of Disneyland to the end of the Zoog era, along with some family-friendly ABC shows. Just be sure to air plenty of Disney Afternoon classics.

And for the older set, how about some classic movies and TV shows that don't get some much love? Sure there's TCM and DVDs, but if you want people to appreciate the classics, it's better to give them a chance to watch them on their own rather than spend money on a blind buy that they'd likely never consider. For TV, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Newhart, Dagnet and Get Smart come to mind. Also, the Mary Tyler Moore, which, like Lucy, Twilight Zone, and Seinfeld, should always be on TV, somewhere. I'm sure there's more classics that I'm not thinking of. For films, you can't go wrong with the Marx Brothers, the Thin Man movies, and the Philadelphia Story, for starters.

But original programming should matter, too. This is kind of sounding like more-Disney oriented version of The Hub, isn't it? Well I think we need something like the Nickelodeon originals of the 90's, quasi-counterculture shows made by people who still think like kids and can make programming that appeal to all ages. And aren't licensed. Sure there's Dan Vs, but that's about it.

if done well, I think this could appeal to anyone. What do you think?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

I would make a network named The Science-Fiction Channel - Sci-Fi for short. It would show nothing but quality sci-fi television and films (classic and modern), and fund the production of new and innovative series to air each season.

...Man, that sounds familiar. If only such a thing were real.

Avaitor

Quote from: Foggle on June 14, 2012, 12:49:03 AM
I would make a network named The Science-Fiction Channel - Sci-Fi for short. It would show nothing but quality sci-fi television and films (classic and modern), and fund the production of new and innovative series to air each season.

That sounds like a good idea. Just make sure that your original movies have quality budgets and scripts, you give all of your shows a fair chance, you don't disrespect your classics years after ending, and you keep irrelevant stuff like, say, wrestling or Disney movies away. :)

Also, don't abbreviate the name anymore. Sci-Fi is perfect. Who spells it SyFy?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Kiddington

...what, you don't consider this great sci-fi?  :>

Spark Of Spirit

YTV in the early-90s is where I'd start.

It had animation from all over the world from as early as Rocky & Bullwinkle and every decade up the then-current 90s and aired everything next to each other.

The channel had a ton of variety before it basically became Nick Canada (yes, it's more Nick than the ACTUAL Canadian Nick channel), and I think something closer to that (sort of like the hub only with more modern shows from all over the world) would be a great place to start.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Didn't read the OP just so I can think on my own so excuse me if I mess up something. My channel would be called the Everyone Network. Time slots:
8:30 AM- Hey Arnold
9:00 AM- The Tazmanian Devil Show
9:30 AM- Invader Zim
10:00 AM- Rocko's Modern Life
10:30 AM- Darkwing Duck
11:00 AM- Duck Dodgers
11:30 AM- Tom & Jerry
12:00 PM- Johnny Bravo
12:30 PM- Dexter
1:00 PM- Ducktales
1:30 PM- Talespin
2:00 PM- Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy
2:30 PM- Looney Tunes
Action Toons Block
3:00 PM- Swat Kats
3:30 PM- Batman Beyond
4:00 PM- Legion Of Superheroes
4:30 PM- Sym-Bionic Titan (with new episodes
5:00 PM- Samurai Jack
5:30 PM- Avatar TLA/Korra (in order)
6:00 PM- Justice League/Unlimited
6:30 PM- Batman the Animated Series
Comedy Hour
7:00 PM- Fresh Prince Of Bel Air
7:30 PM- Everybody Hates Chris
Live Action For Adults Block
8:00 PM- Burn Notice
9:00 PM- Prison Break
10:00 PM- The Shield
Adult Swim Ripoff
11:00 PM- The Simpsons
11:30 PM- King Of The Hill
Midnight- Futurama
12:30 AM- Dragonball Z Kai
1:00 AM- Yuyuhakusho
1:30 AM- Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
2:00 AM- Rurouni Kenshin
2:30 AM- Samurai Champloo
3:00 AM- Outlaw Star
3:30 AM- Trigun
Old School Anime  :swoon:
4:00 AM- Lupin The Third
4:30 AM- Case Closed
The Dungeon (anime only I'd watch)
5:00 AM- Baki The Grappler
5:30 AM- Heat Guy J
6:00 AM- Fist Of The Northstar
6:30 AM- S-CRY-Ed

On Friday and Saturday:

6:00 PM- Original animated shorts

7:00 PM-1:00 AM-
-Animated or kids movie of the week
-Live Action Movie of the week ranging from G-PG-13 movies that aren't too far for being for everyone to R rated action flicks
-TV-14/MA Animated (Like Hellboy animated)/Anime Movie of the week

On Sat./Sunday, the live action shows get replaced with the movies and the animated series' time slots get pushed up or down.

There's one commercial break in the middle of and right after/before ALL shows, Adult Swim style. Kevin Conroy hosts as many shows and movies as possible (meaning he comments on them in the commercial breaks) Shows' time slots and promos are the only other thing shown in commercials
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

My dream channel is basically HBO, except you get it for free.

gunswordfist

Ahh, Sci-Fi, I fucking hate that channel.

Someone needs to teach the clowns making their original movies that you don't have to make your entire lunch food budget go towards making giant Nazi monsters. They need people who know that CG isn't a replacement for story. And if I see one more bad original scifi action comedy on that channel...

Avaitor

Myth Busters is really running out of ideas. They literally dedicated an entire episode to proving whether masturbating can make you go blind or not.

Turns out it can't.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Sounds like one of the better shows on the channel.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Brak's Dad on June 14, 2012, 05:49:30 PM
Myth Busters is really running out of ideas. They literally dedicated an entire episode to proving whether masturbating can make you go blind or not.

Turns out it can't.

Wait that was an actual episode now? Guess Robot Chicken was right about something.

Angus

Woo?Robot Chicken, what Spike and Mike have been doing for years.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

gunswordfist

Seriously, I'd want to make a dream channel with the following:

Live action shows as good as Monster (I've been thinking about how the trash they show on primetime TV wishes it was as good as Monster.)

Non-military action scifi shows.

Adult animation that's in genres I want to see covered.

Adventure shows.

Suspense, thriller, etc. shows starring an intelligent character.

Daikun

My channel would air nothing but bad movies all day.

We would acquire the rights to all ten seasons of MST3K, then air the riffed and non-riffed movies back-to-back.

We would also throw in RiffTrax and Cinematic Titanic.

We would acquire the libraries of The Asylum and Video Brinquedo and the channel's staff would make live riffs on the air.

gunswordfist