Pixar! Their Films, Your Favorites, and More

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 09:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxdiv

Well I saw Lightyear & thought the film was pretty average. It didn't feel like a Pixar movie and more like an MCU origin story. For something that was supposed to be a movie from the 90's, it didn't feel like a 90's movie. I will say that I did like the animation & cast. Sox was the best character though, I went from "I want to punt him like a football" to "You know what, this cat is all right. I want to protect him" Still not their worst film.

Avaitor

I forgot to mention that I went to see a free preview of this last Monday and I thought it was alright. Sox is the breakout character and has most of the best moments, but I do think that the twist is pretty damn stupid and it doesn't do much to justify its existence.

I don't agree with those who I've seen call it the worst Pixar film, but I kind of get it. This, more than anything else they've done, feels like content. Even the Cars sequels were clearly passionate projects of Lasseter, no matter how inept they were. It exists because Disney wanted more Toy Story material and I guess someone thought that this idea was better suited for a feature than a Disney+ series.

But I don't think the disappointing box-office entirely reflects that. Most of it has to come from the audience, who at this point must be used to seeing Pixar movies at the convenience of their home. It's cheaper to log into D+ than to take a family of 3 or more to the theater, and kids don't care about the ritual of the big screen. That, and I don't think that Buzz is as popular of a character with this batch of kids. For many, the fourth Toy Story may be their only major entry into the franchise, and he doesn't really do anything in that one.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

Yeah, even after divorcing the whole Toy Story elements I still think that Lightyear is pretty mid all things considering.l As long as Good Dinosaur exists, Lightyear isn't bad film. Low bar, I know.

This movie does feel like something you announce at a shareholders' meeting to make them see the dollar signs in their eyes. I don't get the Toy Story fatigue excuse considering how long it was since the final film in the series. Hell, the Star Wars fatigue excuse makes more sense when they tried to make it like the MCU & have a movie out every year before Solo flopped and they decided that having shows out on Disney+ is probably a better idea in the long run. If anything I kinda agree with the whole "Wow, Disney kept dumping the last 3-4 Pixar films onto D+. Maybe this is gonna hurt them at the BO a bit" people that thought that this contributed to the under performance of Lightyear.

Avaitor

Just when you thought Pixar was cooling down on sequels...

Inside Out is probably the last Pixar movies I really loved, and I've never really been hot on any of their non-Toy Story or Incredibles sequels, so I'm not crazy about this so far. Losing Mindy Kaling and Bill Hader is also alarming, even if Disgust and Fear were hardly my favorite parts of the first movie.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Daikun