Gravity Falls

Started by Mr. Big, June 16, 2012, 08:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedy

"Soos and the Real Girl" was pretty unique, and an accurate commentary on guys who prefer animated women to real ones.  Plus, I never thought I'd see the dating sim genre referenced in an American cartoon.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Speedy on February 05, 2015, 03:08:23 PM
"Soos and the Real Girl" was pretty unique, and an accurate commentary on guys who prefer animated women to real ones.  Plus, I never thought I'd see the dating sim genre referenced in an American cartoon.
And unlike the other video game episode in season 1, this was fairly creepy and character-centric as a whole. Gravity Falls is at its best when it relies on characters and surreal/supernatural stories jokes, which this season has been packed with.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daikun

A new episode aired tonight!

Spoiler
They're all fucked.
[close]

Peanutbutter

Glad to finally see a new episode. It's been what, 4 months?

Anyway, tonight's episode did a pretty good job at furthering Pacifica's character. Glad Hirsh and his crew decided not to just have her be a one-dimensional mean rich girl, as we've had more than enough of that archetype in cartoons the past decade. Also, from the looks of it she's going to be Dipper's new love interest. Makes sense since they decided to drop his crush on Wendy. Plus they're the same age. I look forward to any more character development we get this season.

And yeah, like Daikun said things are picking up with the main arc if the very end was any indication.

Goldstar

On the one hand, I'm glad to see Gravity Falls' writers actually developing Pacifica's character further after "The Golf War" and not just hitting the reset button and having the character revert back to being a one-dimensional snooty girl stereotype (this is what the writers of Littlest Pet Shop should be doing with the Biskit Twins, as those characters make no sense as antagonists), but on the other hand, I can hear the shippers gearing up for Dipper/Pacifica fan fiction already. I'm not sure how to feel about that, but at least Dipper is being shipped with someone his own age this time.

That bit with Pacifica's father ringing that bell to keep her in line was creepy.  :whuh: Her parents seem like truly awful people.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Daxdiv

OH GOD! THAT ENDING! THAT REVEAL! THAT EVERYTHING! What is happening?

The Shadow Gentleman

Daikun

Bonus content alongside this episode's release: Audio logs with Stan at the police station. (Don't worry; they're each 15 seconds long.)

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

The last one is the most important. It's another cryptogram.

Kiddington

Dude that ending was messed up, I still don't know what to make of it all. It's.....I mean I dunno, I feel like it changes the dynamic of the series way too much for my liking. The character development and overall relationship growth from here on out are gonna be very interesting to keep an eye on. I'll give the writers the benefit, they've given me no reason to believe they won't handle this well (we're 31 episodes in and nary a stinker in the lot), but.....man, this really does flip the entire series on its ear.

Good ep though.

LumRanmaYasha

I honestly wasn't that surprised by either twist, but I'm definitely am curious to see how the dynamic between Stan and the kids changes because of it and how the story unfolds from here on out.

Goldstar

Quote from: Kiddington on March 10, 2015, 02:29:58 PM
Dude that ending was messed up, I still don't know what to make of it all. It's.....I mean I dunno, I feel like it changes the dynamic of the series way too much for my liking. The character development and overall relationship growth from here on out are gonna be very interesting to keep an eye on. I'll give the writers the benefit, they've given me no reason to believe they won't handle this well (we're 31 episodes in and nary a stinker in the lot), but.....man, this really does flip the entire series on its ear.

Good ep though.

Yeah, the downside of "going big" the way that the show has is that there's no way to return to the status quo afterwards, unless everyone's minds were to be erased somehow, which would just have all of the fans yelling "COP OUT!". However, it seems evident that Alex Hirsch (sp?) never intended for Gravity Falls to go beyond 2 seasons, as few Disney cartoons do.

In the scene where the government agent told Dipper and Mabel that they'd be sending them to child services, I was waiting for one of the twins to point out that Stan isn't their legal guardian, that they have parents, both of whom are still alive and that they're only staying with Stan for the Summer, but it never happened. It means nothing, these are just the kinds of things that I notice now.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Spark Of Spirit

I think he originally had a 4 season plan but because of Disney being wishy-washy about renewing it so late for season 2, he revised it to 3 seasons to make sure it reaches the end.

He planned well, because these days all Disney shows only go 3 or 4 seasons and rarely less. Never more.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, and as for my opinion, I liked it. I've been very impressed with season 2 so far, and this continues the streak. The revelation wasn't that surprising given everything we know about Stan, but the reveal at the end is a twist I didn't see coming at all.

Definitely interested in seeing where the back half of this season goes now. There's no going back on this.

Quote from: Kiddington on March 10, 2015, 02:29:58 PM(we're 31 episodes in and nary a stinker in the lot)
Disagreed on that one. But they haven't slipped up once in season 2, so I agree with your point in trusting them.

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 10, 2015, 07:22:10 PM
Quote from: Kiddington on March 10, 2015, 02:29:58 PM(we're 31 episodes in and nary a stinker in the lot)
Disagreed on that one. But they haven't slipped up once in season 2, so I agree with your point in trusting them.

The only ep that I've downright hated thus far is "Boyz Crazy", everything else has had at least one thing or another redeeming about it, even if it wasn't a classic from start to finish. Probably the next closest for me would be "Irrational Treasure", only because it had so many bad Pacifica moments (who at that point was just a one-note character that hadn't been developed yet like in Season 2), but for the most part it was still funny enough to look past.

What other ones were you thinking?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Kiddington on March 13, 2015, 04:24:57 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 10, 2015, 07:22:10 PM

The only ep that I've downright hated thus far is "Boyz Crazy", everything else has had at least one thing or another redeeming about it, even if it wasn't a classic from start to finish. Probably the next closest for me would be "Irrational Treasure", only because it had so many bad Pacifica moments (who at that point was just a one-note character that hadn't been developed yet like in Season 2), but for the most part it was still funny enough to look past.

What other ones were you thinking?
You named one of them. The other was the Dipper Manliness one. There are a handful of others from season one I'm not a fan of, but I won't say they were bad, just not my cup of tea, like the first video game one.

As a whole I've really liked season two, though.