Gravity Falls

Started by Mr. Big, June 16, 2012, 08:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

New episodes start on July 13.

Looks like a prequel episode is up next.

Spark Of Spirit

I guess the season will end on August like last time?

Hopefully it gets renewed soon.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

There's about 9 to 11 episodes left. I'm pretty sure Disney is going to drag the show out until early 2016.

Daxdiv

Pharass

Any thoughts on the latest episode? Personally, I liked it. This is pure speculation, but it seems to me that the series is drawing closer and closer to some sort of finale. At any rate, it will be interesting to see where things go from here.
Also, was that Tara Strong voicing Mabel's unicorn-doll in the beginning? It sure sounded like her.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm a bit behind, so I haven't seen it yet.

But I believe the series original plan was four seasons, but because he wasn't sure it would go that far, he dropped it down to three seasons. So I think whatever happens from this point on is going to be sharper than the earlier stuff.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

The series has definitely been delving a lot more into the overarching mythology in recent eps, to the point where I'd tend to agree; it feels as if they're working a lot faster towards a conclusion of sorts than in the past.

Of course, if Disney wasn't so flippant on their handling of the series, I'd say we're at least good for one more season in spite of this (there's plenty to work with here in regards to these characters beyond that mythology). It's just too hard for it to get any kind of traction at this point though; like, the episode where.....
Spoiler
Grunkle Ford is revealed
[close]
.....had pretty decent ratings, but everything since hasn't been so great. You combine that with almost no merchandise to speak of, and it's hard to imagine this show being around much longer.

Spark Of Spirit

Not to say you're wrong, but these days Disney has an unwritten rule that all their shows run 3-4 seasons. Go back a couple of years and you'll see that none of them ever fall short of that mark. Their XD shows are also given a lot of leeway with the ratings. I don't think this will be any different.

I would say Gravity Falls has a three season lock at this point, but don't expect a fourth.

Daxdiv

This season does feel like 2 little mini-seasons mixed together. I read that was Alex Hirsch's plan after how season 1 was handled and he was worried about getting canceled in season 2. "Not What He Seems" feels like it would have made a spectacular season finale worthy episode, while "A Tale of Two Stans" would have made for an interesting season opener, along with having episodes with Ford in them testing the dynamic between Dipper and Mabel. Doesn't help that Disney put a long hiatus between those episodes.

I can see season 2 ending with them somehow defeating Bill and setting it up with facing his boss or something. Bill really doesn't feel like an end game villain and other supplementary material has implied that he is working for someone.

Daikun

Daxdiv

I for one welcome our new Dorito overlord. All hail the magical flying Dorito chip!

The Shadow Gentleman

Pharass

Yeah, the shit really hit the fan this episode, didn't it?
Also, Ford is clearly projecting his own unresolved issues with his sibling onto Dipper. Otherwise, I don't see why he couldn't take on Mabel as an apprentice as well.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Daikun

Quote from: Pharass on October 14, 2015, 06:06:03 AMAlso, Ford is clearly projecting his own unresolved issues with his sibling onto Dipper. Otherwise, I don't see why he couldn't take on Mabel as an apprentice as well.

Nerdy science stuff isn't really Mabel's thing. She's wacky and is Dipper's opposite in every way. There's no way Ford would take her under his wing.

Pharass

True, Mabel's not into science, but presumably being Ford's protege would involve more adventurous pursuits as well and I think she'd be into that.
Still, I'll concede that the point is moot, since Ford is laboring under the belief that the only way for Dipper to realize his potential is to strike out on his own. Here's hoping that he and Stan manages to patch things up between them at some point.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.