Gravity Falls

Started by Mr. Big, June 16, 2012, 08:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Big

Anyone saw the premiere episode for "Gravity Falls"? It's on iTunes for free if you haven't.

Anyway, I watched it and it's actually pretty fun. The style and humor is something you'd find in the best Cartoon Network shows (reminiscent of "Flapjack", which the show's creator worked on). In fact, it reminded me of "Regular Show".

I also thought the animation's good, too.

I think I'll check this show out. Hope it has a good run.

Goldstar

I saw it. It definitely stood out from the usual Disney fare of late. I enjoyed it more than Fish Hooks, but that wouldn't take much.

I did like how for once we got an animated series that focuses on humans, not talking animals or things. I also like how this show turned the stereotypical gender roles upside down for the main characters with the boy being sensible and the girl being silly instead of the reverse which is far more common. Also, like Phineas & Ferb, Gravity Falls takes place during a perpetual summer vacation, so it wont get bogged down with any generic school plots or stories. Another plus.

Regarding the main characters, Mabel was cute, I can't imagine why anyone would name give their daughter that name though. I recognized her voice actress (comedienne Kristen Schaal) right away, and she had some good lines in the episode. Dipper was kind of dull, but that's mainly because he was forced into the thankless role of being the straight kid. Also, I didn't like his voice. He sounded like a 30-year-old man.

I think that the monster/oddity/freak-of-the-week premise might get old after a while, but Gravity Falls offers a nice alternative to more P&F reruns.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Mr. Big

Just looked at the credits and noticed that Rob Renzetti's working on the show as a supervising producer.

At least we now know where he went after he quit "My Little Pony".

Mr. Big

Okay, everyone needs to watch this show right now. It's, quite frankly, the best thing airing on Disney Channel right now. The latest episode even had Thurop Van Orman voicing a psycho child who can read minds, apparently.

Commode

I've heard a bit about it, and seen some of the animation from gifs posted online.  Don't know if I'm ready to watch DC though.

And of course there's my personal track record with shows that people tell me I simply must watch.  I'll probably give it shot I guess.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

I've seen a couple of git sets of the show. It looks okay. Better than P&F, but that really isn't saying much.

I'll get to it eventually.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

One of the things that kinda turned me off is that apparently the guy who created it was one of the head writers on Fish Hooks. And that show blows.

I dunno, I'll probably get around to it at some point, but my faith in Disney animation (as far as the TV side of things go) is all but non-existent anymore. I tried - believe me, I tried - to make Phineas & Ferb work, and the time I wasted on that show... I'll never get it back.

Mr. Big

Trust me, this show is nothing like "Fish Hooks". In fact it hardly resembles a Disney Channel show, it's something you'd normally see on Cartoon Network (alot of people compared this show to "Regular Show")

Not to mention, Jerry Beck gave it a positive review when it came out, which says ALOT.

At least watch the pilot. I think it's still free on iTunes.

Goldstar

QuoteTrust me, this show is nothing like "Fish Hooks". In fact it hardly resembles a Disney Channel show, it's something you'd normally see on Cartoon Network (alot of people compared this show to "Regular Show")

A couple of people have compared Gravity Falls to Regular Show, but I don't see it much, myself. RS is more like Rocko's Modern Life meets Clerks: TAS and Megas XLR. To me, Gravity Falls is more reminiscent of the late NBC show Eerie, Indiana, only in cartoon form.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eerie,_Indiana
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Spark Of Spirit

Fish Hooks shouldn't be a barometer for anything. The show is pure wasted talent.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

I watched an episode and I will say that I loved what I enjoyed. It was that episode with the Wax figures coming to life and trying to kill Grunkle. I will say that does feel like something I would see on CN or Nick more. In fact, feels like one of those shows I would see on an international CN that didn't air on CN proper.

Dr. Insomniac

Okay, I just watched a couple episodes. I'm surprised this came out of Disney. There are plenty of moments where I just go, "Uh, what?" It feels like they're being lenient on it just so they can create their own Adventure Time. But that doesn't mean it's bad. Not at all.

And of course, "Now who wants to put on some blindfolds and get into my car?!" hasn't escaped notice.

Avaitor

I downloaded an HD copy of the pilot while it's free. I thought it was cute, even if I didn't get too many big laughs from it. It seems like it has potential, even if it can run thin before long.

I'll have to keep an eye out for it to give it more of a shot. I laughed more during this one episode than I did with all of the P&F I saw put together, so it does seem like a step up.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

I watched the pilot too, and while I more or less agree with you, I am annoyed because just like a lot of other popular shows out right now, it panders to the internet.  Specifically when the gnome is barfing a rainbow, it's incredibly pandering, and it's something that only the internet would find funny.  Making the scene repeat endlessly over the credits made it worse.

This trend in today's cartoons is something I'm rather sick of.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

I pretty much agree. The internet is just not funny.

I also thought the show was decent. I'll have to see how it holds up as it goes along.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton