Gravity Falls

Started by Mr. Big, June 16, 2012, 08:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Yeah, that's very much true. It does pander a bit, but I do feel like there's more heart to the show than in Adventure Time or Regular Show, other series with major pandering issues, if only with the family dynamic. I'll have to watch more to see where it goes with that aspect.

Another fault I have is with the voice acting. Jason Ritter sounds too old to play Dipper, and Kristen Schaal's voice gets on my nerves very easily. She's way more prominent here than she is in Bob's Burgers or 30 Rock, which is going to be a killer for me.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Mr. Big

Have to disagree. Mabel is probably my favorite character in this show. She's just adorable.

Avaitor

Oh, I like Mabel. She is adorable. I just don't like her actress.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

A few episodes in, and the show has been getting better.

The pandering's also been cut back a little since the pilot, too. It's no MLP in that regard.

edit: Err, the coffee scene at the end of episode 3 proves me wrong. But still, not as bad as My Little Pony.

New blog!

Kiddington

Honestly, I don't have enough good things to say about this show. This is probably the most I've enjoyed a new cartoon in years. Even in its infancy, before I grew disillusioned with it to the point of really not caring anymore (thanks largely in part to the fanbase), I never liked FiM this much.

Everything about it just works. The writing, the characters (HOW CAN ANY OF YOU POSSIBLY NOT LIKE MABEL SHE IS ADORABLE), the animation style, the charming mix of comedy and mystery working hand in hand so well together... it's just great. I'm sorry I ever doubted it.

Spark Of Spirit

If I can find more episodes of this show (or watch it at a decent time) I was thinking of doing a review. From all I've seen this show deserves one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

I really liked Lil Gideon and his dad (played by Thurop Van Orman and Stephen Root who were both hilarious and had some great lines) who were great character additions, but the core of the episode was very lacking. I mean, it was pretty stock sitcom outside of the psychic stuff and the new characters (which were the highlight of the episode) and really could have been done by any show. That said, the show is starting to come into its own and I hope it's able to keep it up.

I also really like the opening theme and animation.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Well, I just watched the clone episode and it pretty much went against all my worries in the review. More episodes like this one, and the show should be just fine!

When 4 came out of the machine... man that was creepy.

Kiddington

That's the new episode that's been leaked, right?

I've been trying my hardest to save it for Friday, but it's tough though, especially when you've got nearly everyone unanimously calling it the best episode of the series thus far.

Spark Of Spirit

I completely forget to watch things all the time, so I went ahead and watched it ahead of time.

At this point, you should just wait for it to air.

Mr. Big

Just watched and holy moly was this great. All the characters shined, Dipper and the clones (the paper jam clone was PERFECT), Mabel's dance off, a little bit about Wendy's childhood, Soos DJ'ing....

Am I the only one who was reminded of Twilight Sparkle when Dipper was freaking out over the list?  Like, when Mabel tells Dipper to talk to Wendy like a normal person, imagine Mabel as Spike and Dipper as Twilight.

It should be noted that this episode was co-written by M.A. Larson, one of the more prominent writers for "My Little Pony".

Kiddington

Okay, latest episode in the books... and I do actually have a complaint; small one, but it's something nonetheless. One thing that I'm really hoping that isn't going to be a recurring trend in this series is the presence of Pacifica Northwest. IMO she just might be the first real weak link thus far (which is pretty damn good though, considering it took 7-8 episodes for that to happen). I absolutely hate the prototypical stock "bully" character that only exists for the sake of making life miserable for one of the protagonists (in this case, Mabel), and has virtually no personality otherwise. While I suppose she was useful as a plot device to further things along in this particular episode, which ultimately lead to some great moments, I really hope she's not going to a regular fixture on this cast. As far as established villains go, Gideon is a far more interesting character.

Still, a really fun episode otherwise. I love how they've struck such a good balance between the comedy and adventure/mystery-solving portions of the series, and the formula really worked well in this one. And of course, the writing is top notch once again. "I'm legalizing EVERYTHING!"  :awesome:

Goldstar

I saw "Irrational Treasure" last night, and I have to say that this was the best episode of Gravity Falls to date. It's early in the shows' run, but I generally prefer the episodes where the twins work together to the ones where there are 2 separate story lines running simultaneously. However, I likewise hope that this doesn't mean that we'll be seeing more of Pacifica Northwest. One-dimensional bully characters typically rub me the wrong way, especially when they exist solely for the purpose of being an antagonist to one of the main characters, despite their having no reason to actually hate them. I loved it when Mabel decided not to humiliate Pacifica, so Dipper did it for her.

Also, is it just me, or did Uncle Stan pay homage to Dan VS in one scene?
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Mr. Big

I liked that Sheriff Blubs and Deputy Durland actually played an important role in yesterday's episode. They're useless characters otherwise, a one-dimensional "police are useless" characters, so it was nice to have them do something for once.

And yeah, I'm glad Dipper humiliated Pacifica after Mabel decided not to. I'm surprised, though, that she just didn't rip the documents up. Maybe it's going to play an important role in a later episode.