Gravity Falls

Started by Mr. Big, June 16, 2012, 08:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Big

OK, here's something I noticed in the second episode (The Gobblewonkers). Look at the ad in the back of the tabloid Dipper is reading:

Yes, that's Lil' Gideon, who made a full-fledged appearance two episodes later.

Spark Of Spirit

There will be a Gravity Falls marathon next week at 6pm EST, so if you guys are eager to catch up and have a Friday free; here's your chance.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Now I can finally see more of the show.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Goldstar

I enjoyed last night's episode considerably more than I thought I would. The twins constant time skipping was funny, and now we know the name of guy from the future who's been seen in the background for some earlier episodes, Blendin (I get it!).

My only gripe is a fairly minor one; I wish that the shows' writers would just drop the whole "Dipper tries and fails to get anywhere with Wendy" routine. I've never been a fan of characters who continually fail to impress a crush that they have zero chance of actually getting anywhere with. I'm hoping that Dipper's next motivation for doing something with have nothing whatsoever to do with Wendy. Also, I'd really, really like to see the last of Pacifica Northwest. She's such a generic fill-in-the-blank antagonist with no motivation to make the protagonist (in this case, Mabel) miserable other than she just can.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Kiddington

Yeah, Pacifica sucks. She barely serves as anything more than a plot device, and a really bad one at that. Not only is she a totally unlikeable bitch, but she's so uninteresting. I don't really like Robbie either, as he serves basically the same purpose (but for Dipper instead of Mabel), but at least he has had some rather amusing moments and decent one-liners. Three episodes in, and I've never even been slightly amused by anything Pacifica has said or done; she's just "there". She's a really lame character, and I hope they cut down on her presence in the future.

...that aside though, last night's episode was fantastic once again. You know, the more I watch this, the more I just think "how can anyone NOT like Stan?". He has some of the best lines; "take these fake safety inspection certificates, and slap them on anything that looks like a lawsuit". He may be a stock character, but at least he's a good one.

Mr. Big

Yeah, Stan's a great character.

I agree that Pacifica is getting on my nerves; at least her screentime was minimal in the latest ep.

I think the best part was Mabel losing her mind and spending a month banging her head on the totem pole. That was extremely sad and really funny at the same time.

The show's on another three-week hiatus again, with the next episode being "Fight Fighters" on September 14. After that, it goes on another two week break, with "Little Dipper" on the 28th.

Eddy

This show takes too many breaks. :whuh:

Dr. Insomniac

I know. It ruins the mood when I have to hear about the latest Austin & Ally.

Kiddington

:wth:

Why? It's not like they have anything better to put on, and if the episodes are already finished...

Mr. Big

They're probably trying to stretch first season as long as possible. According to Alex Hirsch, season 1 has 21 episodes.

9 episodes has aired, so we're close to the half-way range.

Spark Of Spirit

Stan works a lot better when he is not the focus of the plot, but I am coming around to him as long as he stays in the background and keeps to the one-liners.

I thought the best line was the one about the future laser arm cannon that actually ended up happening at episode's end. There were a lot of clever time jokes and I'm glad they kept it to Dipper and Mabel for it so we didn't get more of Dipper's unrequited love or everyman jerk teenager Robbie.

Robbie is really annoying but I actually liked Wendy's other friends, they should bring them back.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Foggle

How is that pandering? I don't see it.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Foggle on August 28, 2012, 01:26:30 PM
How is that pandering? I don't see it.
That's Romney. There's no reason to have Romney on the show that doesn't involve pandering.

Foggle

Oh, huh, you're right. This show must take place in the 80's or something... didn't recognize him looking so young.

Still not sure how it's pandering to the internet fanbase though. Unless Gravity Falls fanboys are hardcore republicans.