Pop!

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 24, 2012, 02:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

No this isn't a thread about that terrible N*Sync song nobody remembers, this is a thread about Bubblegum Pop! Let's list our favorite and least favorite songs from over the years from the humble 1950s, to the bumbling 2010s!

Everybody here knows one of my favorite pop artists. But I'm mostly a fan of her early material before she went more adult contemporary, though her last album was a Blues album so that was alright. But one thing I liked was how varied her material was always great. Her pre-solo stuff was more old school rock n roll with a rockabilly bent, which was also great.

But enough about my favorites, what about you?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

I do like to listen to pop on occasion, but I don't know if can name any specific examples.  I have Sirius satellite radio, and on the lower end of the dial they have channels that are dedicated to playing pop songs by decade(40s on 4, 50s on 5, 60s on 6, and so on) and I like to scan these channels.  For instance, right now 90s on 9 is playing "Waterfalls" by TLC and Pop2K is playing "When it's Over" by Sugar Ray.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Commode

Oh, I know one.  I really like Bowling For Soup for some reason.

(High School Never Ends is playing right now).

Avaitor

I mentioned this song in another thread, but what do you think about it (before you skip it, I'll just say that it isn't Demi)? You've probably heard it, since it was #1 for a little while, but I'm curious as to what you think of it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

I see people talking shit about it a lot, and I actually change the channel when it comes on the radio(96x plays it a lot), so I never heard it all the way through before

Here's another one I see people talk shit about, but I actually kind of like it.  Even though I can't hear the song and not think about doing a flip in a Chevy.

Avaitor

Gotye is actually a really interesting indie artist that I've slowly been getting into. "Somebody That I Used to Know"'s success was a major fluke, considering how damn unusual it is from regular top 40, but it's a rather good song IMO.

.fun is meh to me though, but it is fascinating how two unconventional indie acts have chart topping songs in a row like this. It seems like every year you have at least one big indie hit in the top 40, like Foster the People last year, Neon Trees in 2010, and Kings of Leon's two big hits in 2009, and we never see said artists chart that high again. It seems like we got our two at the same time this year.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Commode

Oh yeah, aside from "Pumped Up Kicks", I do like Foster the People.  "Helena Beat", "Call it What You Want", and "Don't Stop(Color on the Walls)" are pretty cool songs.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I don't mind Bowling For Soup, though I prefer their early stuff more since it's less kitschy.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Lord Dalek

I kinda like Belle & Sebastian *HIDES*

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Comeau on June 24, 2012, 04:24:05 PM
Oh yeah, aside from "Pumped Up Kicks", I do like Foster the People.  "Helena Beat", "Call it What You Want", and "Don't Stop(Color on the Walls)" are pretty cool songs.

"Waste" is probably my favorite off of their debut.

Spark Of Spirit

My favorite pop songs:

1. Blue Angel - Maybe He'll Know
2. Beach Boys - Sail On, Sailor
3. The Temptations - Get Ready
4. Cyndi Lauper - Money Change Everything
5. Blondie - Heart Of Glass
6. John Cougar Mellancamp - Jack & Diane
7. The Monkees - You Told Me
8. TLC - Waterfalls
9. Buddy Holly - Everyday
10. Michael Jackson - Black Or White

Avaitor

Your #8 might be my own top choice. At least top 5. And "Pink Houses" would be there too.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

TLC was a really good pop group in general. I need to pick up their stuff someday.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 27, 2012, 11:40:35 PM6. John Cougar Mellancamp - Jack & Diane

Oh god... it's my least favorite song of all time. lol

Some songs you hear consistently since your early childhood and you come to love them out of nostalgia. Others you hear even more than that, and they cause your eye to twitch the second they start playing and your hand to violently turn the radio station.

Avaitor

Aww man, I think it's a perfect song myself.

The only thing that really ruins it for my is that Jessica Simpson song.

New blog!