Hotel Transylvaina (Genndy Tartakovsky's new film)

Started by Rynnec, June 24, 2012, 02:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

Goldstar

I think it's amusing how Adam Sandler's vampire character looks like him.

Since Genndy Tartakovsky is behind this, it might be good for a few chuckles, although I have to say that I'm not at all thrilled about there being yet another plot involving an overprotective single father and his rebellious daughter. It seems evident that the teen girl's mom is out of the picture, but I hope that she'll at least get a passing mention and an explanation will be given as to why Mom isn't around. This is one instance where the producers can't use "she's dead" as an excuse since we're dealing with un-dead vampires.

Since I've never once paid to see an Adam Sandler movie in the theater, I think I'll wait for this one to come out on DVD.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Micki!

I watched this yesterday, luckily there was a showing because of my school being international, in english, so I got to watch it in original english..!

It's actually a pretty good movie..!
The plot is easily guessed within moments, but that's not what it tries to catch you with in hte first plac eanyway, the strong point of this movie is the animation, which suits it awfully well :D

The animation has some unusual warping and sudden movements going on, usually I consider the latter lazy animation, but it suits this animation style extremely well, and makes it a fast paced wild weird comedy, that definitely relies more on animation that storytelling..! I can't exactly tell why, but it does feel like something Genndy touched, despite many of those traits I mentioned don't really appear in any of his 2D works that often (the closest I can think of is Samurai Jack, as it had a lot of sudden movement in it, which suited it well), I wouldn't call them traits you'd generally see by him anyway, but there was something about it that really did make it feel like "him", and that really worked with me..!

Another note, Adam Sandler has been notorious lately, for not putting much effort into movies he was involved in, and basically just "playing himself" with a twist to it, but I think his voice works really well in this movie, I don't get the impression that I'm hearing "Adam Sandler, but with an accent", it really feels like it suits his over the top character, so it's all good, and yay for that..!

So yeah, expect a pretty predictable story, but animation that suits Genndy's style (for some reason, help me out here, there's something that just grabs me), at least in my opinion, and it suits this movie well of course..!
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Daikun

Sequel trailer.

This might actually be an improvement over the first. The first film had a rather troubled production and went through multiple directors before settling on Genndy. Here, Genndy was able to see the whole project from start to finish.

The trailer also looks better, too. We'll see what happens.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Daikun on March 12, 2015, 08:05:31 PM
Sequel trailer.

This might actually be an improvement over the first. The first film had a rather troubled production and went through multiple directors before settling on Genndy. Here, Genndy was able to see the whole project from start to finish.

No surprise, I knew when a sequel was greenlit that Genndy would have full control. But I wonder how far along his Popeye movie is?

Avaitor

Quote from: Peanutbutter on March 12, 2015, 09:23:12 PM
Quote from: Daikun on March 12, 2015, 08:05:31 PM
Sequel trailer.

No surprise, I knew when a sequel was greenlit that Genndy would have full control. But I wonder how far along his Popeye movie is?
Well, it's not going along with him anymore.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

Quote from: Daikun on July 15, 2015, 05:58:55 PMA TV series is in development.

...and it's coming to The Disney Channel.

Also, from that same article, HT3 is coming and Genndy is moving back to Sony to helm it instead of making more great stuff for CN/AS? :whuh: Why?

Spark Of Spirit

Probably because it's easy money for him. The more financial successes he has under his belt, the more he can do later.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Daikun on June 20, 2016, 09:38:18 PM
Quote from: Daikun on July 15, 2015, 05:58:55 PMA TV series is in development.

...and it's coming to The Disney Channel.

Also, from that same article, HT3 is coming and Genndy is moving back to Sony to helm it instead of making more great stuff for CN/AS? :whuh: Why?

Since when was it a guarantee he was going to do more series with CN after getting done with Samurai Jack? Why limit himself to Adult Swim when he has plenty of films in the works? Like Spark said, there's more money and potential for him to do more with more movies than staying at one place. Since Sym-Bionic Titan has no chance of ever coming back, his only ties to CN will be gone after Jack anyway.

Daikun