Favorite Films

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, July 01, 2012, 06:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yes, I know that there was an old thread for this already, but rather than revive that I wanted to re-post my list of excerpts from my favorite movies. The problem is that Avaitor already got most of them on the old thread. I wanted to create this thread and see if anybody other than Avaitor could guess most of my favorites (without being a cheat and looking back at the old thread). Anyways, here's my list, which is still the same as it was the last time I posted it:

30. -What's he doing? Cleaning house?
-He's washing and scrubbing down the bathroom walls.
-Must've splattered a lot.
-Come on, that's what we're all thinkin'. He killed her in there, now he has to clean up those stains before he leaves.
-Stella... your choice of words!
-Nobody ever invented a polite word for a killin' yet.

29. -How's Paulie?
-Oh, Paulie... won't see him no more.

28. -Wendy? Darling? Light, of my life. I'm not gonna hurt ya. You didn't let me finish my sentence. I said, I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just going to bash your brains in.

27. -Do you believe in Santa Claus?
-No.
-Nor do I. Nor do I, but my children do. They are still small. But do you know who they like even better than Santa Claus? His helper, Pedro el Negro. Black Peter. There's an old Mexican tale that tells of how Santa Claus got so very busy looking out for the good children that he had to hire some help to look out for the bad children. So he hired Pedro. And Santa Claus gave him a list with all the names of all the bad children. And Pedro would come every night to check them out. And the people, the little kids that were misbehaving, that were not saying their prayers, Pedro would leave a little toy donkey on their window. A little burro. And he would come back, and if the children were still misbehaving, Pedro would take them away, and nobody would ever see them again. Now, if I am being Santa Claus, and you are Pedro, how do you think jolly Santa Claus would feel if one day Pedro came into his office and said, 'I lost the list.' How fucking furious do you think he will get?
-I think...I think you should tell the guy standing behind me to put his gun away.
-What?
-I said, I think you should tell him to put the gun down before I rip it out of his hand and beat his bitch-ass to death with it.

26. -Are you telling me that 200 of our men against your boy is a no-win situation for us?
-You send that many, don't forget one thing.
-What?
-A good supply of body bags.

25. -I'm scared Poncho.
-Bullshit. You ain't afraid of no man.
-There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die.

24. -You know what you look like to me, with your good bag and your cheap shoes? You look like a rube. A well scrubbed, hustling rube with a little taste. Good nutrition's given you some length of bone, but you're not more than one generation from poor white trash, are you, Agent Starling? And that accent you've tried so desperately to shed: pure West Virginia. What is your father, dear? Is he a coal miner? Does he stink of the lamp? You know how quickly the boys found you... all those tedious sticky fumblings in the back seats of cars... while you could only dream of getting out....getting anywhere....getting all the way to the FBI.

23. -Quasi, take it from an old spectator. Life's not a spectator sport. If watchin' is all you're gonna do, then you're gonna watch your life go by without ya.

22. -How do you go about writing a detective story?
-Well, you forget detection and concentrate on crime. Crime's the thing. And then you imagine you're going to steal something or murder somebody.
-Oh, is that how you do it? It's interesting.
-Yes, I usually put myself in the criminal's shoes and then I keep asking myself, uh, what do I do next?
-Do you really believe in the perfect murder?
-Mmm, yes, absolutely. On paper, that is. And I think I could, uh, plan one better than most people; but I doubt if I could carry it out.
-Oh? Why not?
-Well, because in stories things usually turn out the way the author wants them to; and in real life they don't... always.
-Hmm.
-No, I'm afraid my murders would be something like my bridge: I'd make some stupid mistake and never realize it until I found everybody was looking at me.

21. -Old woman.
-Man.
-Man, sorry. What knight lives in that castle over there?
-I'm 37.
-What?
-I'm 37. I'm not old.
-Well I can't just call you "man".
-Well you could say "Dennis".
-I didn't know you were called Dennis.
-Well you didn't bother to find out did you?
-I did say sorry about the "old woman", but from behind you looked...
-What I object to is you automatically treat me like an inferior.
-Well I am king.
-Oh, king eh? Very nice. And how'd you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers. By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society.

20. -What's with all these paper cranes? You bored? Maybe you feel lonely here?
-You know, I've always hated making cranes. I make one each time I kill somebody. How about it, shall I make you one?
-No thanks. And if you'll get killed, who'll make yours?

19. -Sir knight? I've just pissed in my pants... and nobody can do anything about it.

18. -You want me to kill Jappos, I'll kill Jappos.
-I'm not asking you to kill anybody.
-You want me to kill THE ENEMIES of Jappos, I'll kill THE ENEMIES of Jappos... Rebs, or Sioux, or Cheyenne... For 500 bucks a month I'll kill whoever you want. But keep one thing in mind: I'd happily kill you for free.

17. -Now, I want you to say "doggy".
-Doggy.
-Notice, that nothing happens. Now, say "Montana".
-Montana.
-Good. Now, "pillow".
-Pillow.
-All right. Now I want you to say "horse fucker".
-Go on, honey. It's all right.
-Horse fu....That hurts, goddamnit!
-Now I want you to say "big floppy donkey dick".
-No!
-Success! The child doesn't want to swear!
-This isn't fair, you sons of bi....

16. -Please don't eat me.
-Drop 'em!
-Hey! Who's the pig?
-Are you talkin' to me?
-Uh-oh, they called him a pig.
-Are you talking to *me*?
-Ya shouldn't have done that.
-ARE YOU TALKING TO ME?
-Now they're in for it.
-THEY CALL ME MR. PIG! AHHHH!

15. -Do all killers have a sense of honor?
-The world has changed. Honor is now a dirty word.

14. -What kind of city are we running when we depend on the support of a potential madman!?!
-What rot, sir! Why you're the very model of sanity. Oh by the way, I pressed your tights and put away your exploding gas balls.

13. -Which one of you guys wants to be a general? Pinkley?
-What kind of general, sir?
-Just a plain, ordinary, every day, home-lovin' American general.
-I'd rather be a civilian, sir.
-You've seen a general inspecting troops before haven't you? Just walk slow, act dumb and look stupid!

12. -You want to give me the cash, or do I kill your brother first, before I kill you?
-Why don't you try sticking your head up your ass? See if it fits.

11. -Oh, uh, Charlie - about your little problem - there are two kinds of people in this world: those who stand up and face the music, and those who run for cover. Cover is better.

10. -I am wondering, why are you here?
-I'm looking for someone.
-Looking? Found someone, you have, I would say, hmmm?
-Right...
-Help you I can. Yes, mmmm.
-I don't think so. I'm looking for a great warrior.
-Ohhh. Great warrior.
-Wars not make one great.

9. -Hey, this one looks like a preacher.
-I preach.
-Yeah, what do you preach, gold?
-The word of God.
-Eh, but you like gold, huh?
-It can work for the lord as well as the devil. Why should only the Church O' Rome have gold? Gold, silver, bibles and corruption, when I get my gold-
-Your gold?
-My share....my share will build a tavernacle to the Lord, a temple of the true gospel, maybe a whole string of 'em through the territory.
-Hey Ben to bring this fellow you gotta be crazier than he is.
-I told you everybody knows. You can't keep gold a secret, it travels in the air. Anyways we can use every gun we can get, no matter who carries it.
-Hey Mackenna.
-Preacher, this isn't gonna be like a walk to Church on a Sunday. Might get yourself killed. Might even have to do some killing yourself.
-The Lord knows what he wants his servants to do.
-Anyways, the gold belongs to the Apache.
-It can be used for them, to bring 'em to the Lord!
-Ai Chiuaua, he makes a good deal with his Lord!

8. -Wait a minute, Doc, are you trying to tell me that my mother has got the hots for me?
-Precisely.
-Whoa, this is heavy.
-There's that word again; "heavy." Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?

7. -Of course I don't have my underwear. I'm definitely not wearing my underwear.
-I gave you a fresh pair of mine to wear. Where are they?
-They're in the pocket of my jacket. Here.
-I don't want them back.
-These are not boxer shorts. Mine are boxer shorts. These are Hanes 32.
-Underwear is underwear, Ray.
-My boxer shorts have my name and it says Raymond.
-All right, when we pass the store, we'll pick you up a pair of boxer shorts.
-I get my boxer shorts at K-Mart in Cincinnati.
-We're not going back to Cincinnati, Ray, so don't even start with that.

6. -I'm sorry I had to fight in the middle of your Black Panther party.

5. -You stupid bastard, I can't fuckin' believe you. Now, you're gonna dig the fuckin' thing now. You're gonna dig the hole. You're gonna do it. I got no fuckin' lime. You're gonna do it.
-Who the fuck cares? I'll dig the fuckin' hole. I don't give a fuck. What is it, the first hole I dug? Not the first time I dug a hole. I'll fuckin' dig a hole. Where are the shovels?

4. -No, no, no, no. You gotta listen to the way people talk. You don't say "affirmative," or some shit like that. You say "no problemo." And if someone comes on to you with an attitude you say "eat me." And if you want to shine them on it's "hasta la vista, baby."
-Hasta la vista, baby.
-Yeah but later, dickwad. And if someone gets upset you say, "chill out"! Or you can do combinations.
-Chill out, dickwad.
-Great! See, you're getting it!
-No problemo.

3. -They're coming outta the walls. They're coming outta the goddamn walls. Let's book!

2. -Why do you want to join the force?
-To protect the property and citizenry of...
-Ah, don't waste my time with that bullshit. Where you from, Stone?
-I'm from the south-side.
-Stone. George Stone. That's your name? What's your real name?
-That is my real name.
-Nah. What was it before you changed it?
-Giuseppe Petri.
-Ah, I knew it. That's all you need, one thieving wop on the team.
-Hey, what's that you say?
-I said that you're a lying member of a no good race.
-Much better than you, you stinking Irish pig.
-Oh, I like him.

1. -You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. We cut down my percentage - uh, cigar? - liable to interfere with my aim.
-But if you miss you had better miss very well. Whoever double-crosses me and leaves me alive, he understands nothing about Tuco. Nothing!

Commode

I like your number 4 choice, it's one of my favorites too.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

I haven't made one of these in a while.

1- The Apartment
2- Pulp Fiction
3- The Nightmare Before Christmas
4- Psycho
5- City Lights
6- The Avengers
7- Seven Samurai
8- Casablanca
9- A Clockwork Orange
10- Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
11- Clerks
12- Lawrence of Arabia
13- X2: X-Men United
14- The Red Shoes
15- Sunset Boulevard
16- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
17- The Lion King
18- Chasing Amy
19- Aliens
20- Singin' in the Rain
21- Pollyanna
22- Rear Window
23- Almost Famous
24- Perspolis
25- Ran
26- Mary Poppins
27- Die Hard
28- Persona
29- Double Indemnity
30- Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Pretty obvious choices in there, I guess.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Agree with some.

I'm still discovering good films though, so any list I make would be pretty outdated fast.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Other than the Fact that The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly is 15 spaces too low, its a great list. :sly:

Mine hasn't changed from before other than maybe finding a way to fit Serenity in there, which I personally think is the best of Joss Whedon's 3 feature-length films that I know of (I haven't seen the original Buffy movie, and I think that The Avengers is great, but Serenity is just better).

Avaitor

My goal is to rewatch it after I finish reading The Dark Tower. It is a great movie, but I just haven't watched it as much as I have most of the movies that made it earlier in my list.

I do feel like I'm missing a lot of the film by not seeing it in its original 70mm print. Same with Lawrence, but I sure enjoy both films. That does show just how good they both are.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Here's my list for anyone who couldn't bother to decipher my quotations. And yes, the whole thing corresponds directly to how I ranked the quotes, number-for-number:

1.   The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
2.   The Untouchables
3.   Aliens
4.   The Terminator 2: Judgement Day
5.   Goodfellas
6.   Forrest Gump
7.   Rain Man
8.   Back to the Future
9.   Mackenna's Gold
10. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
11. Scent of a Woman
12. Scarface
13. The Dirty Dozen
14. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm/Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (it?s a tie between these 2)
15. The Killer
16. The Lion King
17. South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut
18. The Last Samurai
19. Dances with Wolves
20. Hardboiled
21. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
22. Dial M for Murder
23. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disney animated film, of course)
24. The Silence of the Lambs
25. Predator
26. Rambo: First Blood
27. Collateral
28. The Shining
29. The Godfather
30. Rear Window
31. Serenity
32. The Lord of the Rings trilogy
32. The Dark Knight
33. The Avengers

Serenity, The Dark Knight, and The Return of the King would probably manage to slip onto my top 30 if I could manage to find spots for them, and The Avengers would likely hang out there as just outside of the list indicating that its a great movie but not quite up there with my personal favorites.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I'm also surprised that The Lion King is so low.

Oh, and Spark, i forgot to ask, what do you disagree about with my list?

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Crap, I knew I was forgetting something!

Well, to be honest as much as I love TLOTR, they'd probably hang just outside of my list as well, if only because my top 30 are all films that truly mean a lot to me, even if some of them may be only ones that you'd ever see on a list like mine (such as The Untouchables, Forrest Gump, or Harboiled, which nobody likes as much as I do, as far as I can tell)

If any of TLOTR films would make it onto my top 30, though, it'd probably be The Return of the King, which could also rotate its way onto my top 30 on occasion, as I feel it to be the strongest film of the trilogy.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on January 04, 2013, 10:06:21 PM

Well, 16 isn't really low. I've seen a lot of movies, so the way I'd look at it is saying that its one of the 20 best movies that I've ever seen, personally, is saying a lot.

Spark Of Spirit

For instance, I've recently discovered the movie Lucas and heartily question why nobody ever talks about it. I've also been really mulling over Joe Vs. The Volcano which is a very divisive film. When I keep finding movies like this, my list keeps changing.

Quote from: Avaitor on January 04, 2013, 10:06:21 PM

Silly things, mostly. I've fallen out pretty hard with Kevin Smith's works over the last few years and I'm personally ambivalent about Pulp Fiction (but I do admit it's a good film) and Scott Pilgrim. Everything else is stuff I really like or have yet to see but want to, however.

Avaitor

You don't even like Clerks anymore?

I'm not really a big believer of the View Askewverse as of late myself, but that and Chasing Amy will always hold up for me.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I respect it for what it is, but I don't really get much out of it anymore. But that's probably because my tastes have been changing a lot.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The thing about my list is that these are not the best films ever. Most of them are far from it. But I never let stuff like that decide what I consider to be my personal favorites, and that's just what they are, personal favorites. Would I ever say that a film like The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly is technically a better film than Citizen Kane. Of course not. But the film for whatever reason jsut feels like such an important part of me. I grew up watching that movie and I can still watch it today and find even more things to appreciate the more I watch it, so naturally its my personal favorite film of all time, even if its not the best one.

I pretty much know which films are my favorites because they are ones that I constantly want to go back to, and usually tend to get better the more that I re-watch them. Films like The Avengers and tons of other movies that people would put on their list are indeed great, but they don't mean quite as much to me as the films that are already on my list. Stuff like Hardboiled or Predator are far from great movies. I'll be the first to admit that. But I love them to death because of how much they click a cord with me. Something about them just makes me excited to watch them whenever I see them, and if I catch one of them on TV, it doesn't matter what part its at, whether its at the very beginning, the middle, or near the end. I'll always sit through the rest of the movie because its just that good. That's kind of how I decide what my favorites are, and no matter how many good films I see, that rarely ever changes, but when it does you can bet its because of a damn good film that really sticks with me.

Oh, BTW, Jaws is another film that I might rotate into my top 30 on occasion. I'd say that anything past my top 20 favorites could be subject to some rotation depending on what mood I'm in.