Favorite Films

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, July 01, 2012, 06:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on January 04, 2013, 11:26:03 PM
Looks more like Kury's top 10.
Aw, what gave it away!? How did you know I stole it from her?! :shit:

Avaitor

I'm friends with Cloud. That makes me NOT a nazi.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Grave

This is gonna be hard. Besides Bourne trilogy being #1, no specific order

Bourne Trilogy
Pulp Fiction
Back to the Future Trilogy
Predator
Rocky series
Expendables
Big Boss
Return of the Dragon
Enter the Dragon
Game of Death
Chinese Connection
The Crow
Last Samurai
Bad Boys 1-2
Transformers 1-2
Dark Knight
Batman
Die Hard trilogy
Big Trouble in Little China
Lost Boys
Inception
Ocean's trilogy
Desperado
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1-2
Ong Bak
The Protector (Tony Jaa)
Ip Man
Money Talks
Rush Hour 2
Friday
Friday After Nexy

I'll stop there because if I carry on and considering the amount of old school martial arts films there are this list will go on forever. I was born an action buff.

Avaitor

One of these days I'll rewatch the TMNT movies. Even 3, just for the hell of it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

GregX

At the moment?

20. The Dark Knight
19. Sleeping Beauty
18. The Shining
17. The Big Lebowski
16. Annie Hall
15. True Romance
14. Richard III
13. The Last Temptation of Christ
12. A Clockwork Orange
11. Lost In Translation
10. The Lord of the Rings
09. Goodfellas
08. There Will Be Blood
07. Bonnie And Clyde
06. Titus
05. Reservoir Dogs
04. Citizen Kane
03. Pulp Fiction
02. The Godfather
02. The Godfather Part II
01. Casablanca

Foggle

So now that I've properly seen almost every movie Tarantino wrote and/or directed (sometimes again), I guess I'll rank 'n rate 'em. I know you guys care deeply about my opinion on this matter.

1. Django Unchained - I probably need to watch it a second time before I can confirm my ranking, but this movie really resonated with me like no film has since In Bruges. Loved every minute, and I'd consider it nearly perfect outside of some weird editing flubs. 10/10

2. Kill Bill (as one movie) - Excellent epic; great action in the first half and even better storytelling/character development in the second. It didn't drag at all despite being four hours long, and I would gladly watch it all again any time. 10/10

3. Reservoir Dogs - This has been one of my all time favorites since forever, and it gets better every time I rewatch it. 10/10

4. True Romance - Didn't like it much the first time I saw it, but now I love it. I don't have much to say about TR other than that I think it's a near-masterpiece. 9/10

5. Jackie Brown - I'm not really sure why this film is so unpopular. Sure, it's not super fast-paced, but the performances are excellent and the writing is sublime. Very rewarding to watch IMO. 9/10

6. Pulp Fiction - I love the dialogue in this movie so much. Millions of awesome lines, and all the actors hit it out of the park every time. I know this is everyone's favorite QT picture, and I can see why, but I personally felt it wasn't as strong as my top five for some reason. Still a classic, though. 9/10

7. Inglourious Basterds - I didn't like this one quite as much as the other films Tarantino directed himself, but that doesn't mean it isn't fantastic. It was really tough deciding on the order I'd put numbers 4-7 in, because I love them all. 9/10

8. From Dusk Till Dawn - Absolutely loved George Clooney in this. Very fun movie with a lot of rewatch potential, though nothing too substantial of course. 7/10

9. Natural Born Killers - An effective and interesting satire with some great dialogue as always, but it's too artsy and uncomfortable a watch to have much replay value for me. 7/10

10. Death Proof (as part of Grindhouse) - Kurt Russell's scenes in the first half are pretty fun, as are the final moments with the car chase and whatnot, but I thought it wasn't very good as a whole. Most of the movie just boils down to extremely unlikable characters talking about sex. Planet Terror was far superior. 4/10

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've only seem 2 Tarantino films that I actually like, personally, but like I said, I'm aiming to give Pulp Fiction yet another chance one of these days. For now, though, its:

1. Inglorious Basterds- The performances in this one were brilliant, which is really what I liked more than anything else about the film

2. Django Unchained- Because I love westerns, and I have to admit, Tarantino can make s damn good western when he's actually making a real western rather than paying homage to them from another genre

Avaitor

I actually haven't seen Jackie Brown or From Dusk Till Dawn yet.

But if what Kevin Smith says is true, the opening of FDTD is the best part of the whole movie.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I liked Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, but the rest all had an issue or two that I couldn't get by (of the ones I saw anyway.

Death Proof was outright lame, though. Planet Terror was waaaay better.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

You can't watch one without the other, IMO. Both Grindhouse movies need to be seen together, with the trailers.

But Machete is way better than either.

New blog!

Avaitor

Quote from: Avaitor on January 04, 2013, 09:37:09 PM
I haven't made one of these in a while.

1- The Apartment
2- Pulp Fiction
3- The Nightmare Before Christmas
4- Psycho
5- City Lights
6- The Avengers
7- Seven Samurai
8- Casablanca
9- A Clockwork Orange
10- Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
11- Clerks
12- Lawrence of Arabia
13- X2: X-Men United
14- The Red Shoes
15- Sunset Boulevard
16- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
17- The Lion King
18- Chasing Amy
19- Aliens
20- Singin' in the Rain
21- Pollyanna
22- Rear Window
23- Almost Famous
24- Perspolis
25- Ran
26- Mary Poppins
27- Die Hard
28- Persona
29- Double Indemnity
30- Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Pretty obvious choices in there, I guess.
Let's see, I'd still agree with a lot of this, but

-I'd put Badlands in the top 5
-Mary Poppins should go into my top 20
-Annie Hall will finally stop creeping in my top 50 and make it somewhere in here
-Switch Singin' in the Rain and The Red Shoes

Also, a friend of mine on tumblr, who is a film major, chose to write about Tarantino for her favorite director, despite not being super familiar with his work (she's more of an expert in the work of the field than its history). I'm helping her with this, by going over all of his movies and picking apart his camera language and tropes of dialogue for her, as well as going through his influences. This will be fun.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on March 15, 2013, 01:16:46 PM
So now that I've properly seen almost every movie Tarantino wrote and/or directed (sometimes again), I guess I'll rank 'n rate 'em. I know you guys care deeply about my opinion on this matter.

1. Django Unchained - I probably need to watch it a second time before I can confirm my ranking, but this movie really resonated with me like no film has since In Bruges. Loved every minute, and I'd consider it nearly perfect outside of some weird editing flubs. 10/10

2. Kill Bill (as one movie) - Excellent epic; great action in the first half and even better storytelling/character development in the second. It didn't drag at all despite being four hours long, and I would gladly watch it all again any time. 10/10

3. Reservoir Dogs - This has been one of my all time favorites since forever, and it gets better every time I rewatch it. 10/10

4. True Romance - Didn't like it much the first time I saw it, but now I love it. I don't have much to say about TR other than that I think it's a near-masterpiece. 9/10

5. Jackie Brown - I'm not really sure why this film is so unpopular. Sure, it's not super fast-paced, but the performances are excellent and the writing is sublime. Very rewarding to watch IMO. 9/10

6. Pulp Fiction - I love the dialogue in this movie so much. Millions of awesome lines, and all the actors hit it out of the park every time. I know this is everyone's favorite QT picture, and I can see why, but I personally felt it wasn't as strong as my top five for some reason. Still a classic, though. 9/10

7. Inglourious Basterds - I didn't like this one quite as much as the other films Tarantino directed himself, but that doesn't mean it isn't fantastic. It was really tough deciding on the order I'd put numbers 4-7 in, because I love them all. 9/10

8. From Dusk Till Dawn - Absolutely loved George Clooney in this. Very fun movie with a lot of rewatch potential, though nothing too substantial of course. 7/10

9. Natural Born Killers - An effective and interesting satire with some great dialogue as always, but it's too artsy and uncomfortable a watch to have much replay value for me. 7/10

10. Death Proof (as part of Grindhouse) - Kurt Russell's scenes in the first half are pretty fun, as are the final moments with the car chase and whatnot, but I thought it wasn't very good as a whole. Most of the movie just boils down to extremely unlikable characters talking about sex. Planet Terror was far superior. 4/10
I didn't know Tarantino didn't direct Inglourious Basterds.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 04, 2013, 07:39:51 PM
I didn't know Tarantino didn't direct Inglourious Basterds.
I think you read that wrong. ;) I didn't like it as much as the other films he directed himself (excluding Death Proof), but he did direct it himself, and I liked it more than two of the ones he didn't direct himself.

talonmalon333

Okay so, I think I might have posted this a few months ago. It's another site where I've gone through and given grades, as well as short reviews, to various movies (I'm at about 300 movies so far). Lately, I've been in the process of giving all these movies more specific grades (basically, numbers that don't just end in 0). Feel free to look at my list, and click on any of the movies there to see what I have to say about them, if you feel like it. And if you do, feel free to ask about any of my ratings. There's a good chance some of them might even be inaccurate (these ratings are still rough).

http://www.criticker.com/?fl&user=talonmalon

talonmalon333

So I've tried to finally put together a top 10 movie list, but I just can't decide on a satisfying list. However, I feel like I can at least get a good top 5. So I'll just post that here.

1. Jaws
2. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
3. Rosemary's Baby
4. Vertigo
5. Roman Holiday

I feel like Jaws is the type of movie where some people could easily write it off as being average since, on the surface, it's basically just a monster movie. But it's just so incredibly well made. Of course, a large part of that has to do with Spielberg keeping the shark offscreen for the first half. But it also has to do with the three leads, which are some of my favorite characters in all of cinema.

I still remember when I first saw One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I was at the beach for the entire month of August between grade school and high school. We saw it at a Blockbuster and my parents weren't sure if it was appropriate for me and my cousins to see (all that swearing). But they caved in and I've loved the movie since. It also has what became my favorite Jack Nicholson screen performance, and probably what's consider to be my favorite movie performance in general alongside Quint from Jaws.

Rosemary's Baby... I don't know how many of you guys have seen this one, but I think it's really as close to perfect as a movie can be. I don't consider it to be a horror, more like a thriller. And I'd compare the way it builds up suspense to something Hitchcock could've done. It's the type of movie where the ending isn't really the most important part, but the buildup to it is.

Vertigo is a movie I didn't fully get when I first saw it. Back then, Rear Window was my favorite Hitchcock film, and Vertigo didn't change that. However, it was through rewatches that I came to see how much of a masterpiece the movie is. It's the type of movie that just gets better and better the more you watch and think about it.

With Roman Holiday, honestly, this movie is just a real joy to me. It stars two huge names in American cinema, and it's the type of movie where I feel like I could follow these characters forever. I'd probably call Audrey Hepburn my favorite actress of all time, and this movie is hands down my favorite performance of hers.