Hey Arnold!

Started by Eddy, August 14, 2012, 01:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

I couldn't help but notice there was no Hey Arnold! thread. What's everyone think of this classic Nicktoon? Did you watch it as a kid? Does it still hold up today? Share and discuss.

I, myself, having rewatched almost every episode recently on Netflix would say the the series was actually pretty good. Not "best Nicktoon ever" material but it, at times, could be pretty amusing, charming, and well-written. I have to say that Helga is easily the best character in the show by far. She can be pretty hilarious at times.

Arnold is easily the most dull, boring, and uninteresting character. Which is funny considering he's supposed to be the main character of the series. Arnold in the earlier seasons was more likable when he actually, you know, acted like a kid. He got into trouble, he made mistakes, he was the type of character a young boy his age should be. Eventually though they decided to turn him into a freaking saint who could do no wrong and constantly act as the voice of reason or another characters conscience if they were doing something bad. It made the character dreadfully boring which resulted in every single character around him, from Gerald and Helga to Rhonda and Phoebe, coming off as far more interesting.

gunswordfist

I was just thinking right when I saw this thread how I was talking to Avaitor years ago about how Arnold (and Doug) is a boring goody two shoes and that the rest of the cast is what makes the show great. I completely forgot that Arnold wa't always like that though. Makes me want to watch the early episodes.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Arnold's supposed to be the straight man, and, like a LOT of other shows, animated or not, the writers seem to forget that straight men can be fun. Although I don't think Gerald is a whole lot better as a character myself.

But the rest of the cast is strong. The other students, the boarders, the neighbors. It really does seem like every little supporting character has their time to shine on the show.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

I've been rewatching episodes. It's surpassed the test of time.

I'd say Helga is the strongest character overall. Arnold got less fun as the series went on.

Eddy

Helga's family life was actually pretty dark when you think about it. A sister who overshadows everything she does, a neglectful father who cares more about work than his kid, and a mother who is clearly meant to be an alcoholic. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing they wanted to do a spin-off starring Helga but it was turned down for being too depressing.

talonmalon333

gunswordfist

Quote from: Eddy on August 15, 2012, 05:56:26 PM
Helga's family life was actually pretty dark when you think about it. A sister who overshadows everything she does, a neglectful father who cares more about work than his kid, and a mother who is clearly meant to be an alcoholic. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing they wanted to do a spin-off starring Helga but it was turned down for being too depressing.
Every time she's around her sister it's just so awkward.

gunswordfist

Eddy

If there's one thing that anyone who watched this show remember it's that STOOP KID'S AFRAID TO LEAVE HIS STOOP.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, this was a good show, but I also agree it was sometimes boring to watch since Arnold was such a bore.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Pigeon Man and Helga on the Couch are probably the best episodes.

Avaitor

Those and likely the Christmas episode.

Besides Helga, I think Harold was my favorite supporting character. I like how he wasn't a stock bully, but just a sad-sack kid with conflicting who wanted to fit in with the guys, and did for the most part despite some really stupid ideals. He also had some of the best episodes.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Nel_Annette

I was going to mention how much I liked where they went with Helga's family dynamic. I loved this show as a kid. I completely agree though that Arnold was the weakest part of his own show and the strength of the supporting characters is what carried it. Own every season on dvd from when Amazon (or whover) was doing custom orders for it.

There are two moments I can never watch again, though. Arnold beating up that guy who just wanted to know about the bus, and Arnold being forced out in the bunny suit. I don't know what it is, I just can't stand watching scenes of someone's complete humiliation on any show.

gunswordfist

I also hate watching people get embarrassed. I've turned the channel many time from different shoes because of that.

Avaitor

Watching some of the earlier episodes again, it seems like a nice tidbit in Arnold's character around this point was that he was really into music. He had bongos, played the sax, had an ear for jazz, and supposedly used his victory money from the spelling bee on a synth.

They could've done some cool stuff with this part of his character if they didn't drop it as soon as the second season came by. Oh well.

New blog!