Hey Arnold!

Started by Eddy, August 14, 2012, 01:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

They stocked it at yours?! When I went, they told me it was only available through Walmart's website.  :(

Phantom X

Loved this as a kid, was a favorite of mine back then. I remember my favorite episodes were The Haunted Train and Wheezin' Ed.

talonmalon333

Did this show have an "downhill era", in the way that many other Nicktoons (and cartoons in general) do? For some reason I remember Hey Arnold being fairly consistent from start to finish.

Avaitor

I think that some people felt that the last season or two were becoming tiresome. I couldn't tell you, since I haven't seen much of those later episodes in a while I probably haven't seen a good deal of them at all, now that I think about it, since those aired around the time that I became a Cartoon Network kid 100%

From what I saw up to around season 3 in recent years, it's still enjoyable up to that point, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Peanutbutter

Last two seasons were fine. I can say that because I have recently watched most of the final seasons. The only thing off is Arnold doing the psychologist bit, but at least they made fun of it with "Deconstructing Arnold". Of course, I don't mind Arnold because Helga pretty much became the main character at that point.

talonmalon333

Something that I like about this show, and the whole thing with Arnold and Helga, is that there are little hints that, not only does Arnold possibly know how she feels (even if he doesn't realize he knows it), but maybe Helga will get her happy ending someday. Things such as...

In the summer vacation episode, when Helga keeps interrupting Arnold's time with that girl on the beach, he gets mad at her for bothering him "for no apparent reason", as he puts it along the lines of.

In the episode where Arnold has a dream about visiting his cousin Arnie, he meets a parallel version of Helga. And in this dream, she is fantasying about Arnie and speaking poetry, just as Helga does. On top of that, Arnold himself actually falls in love with this parallel universe Helga.

In the Valentine's Day episode, when Arnold has to keep jumping back and forth between a date with Ruth, and a date with Helga (disguised as his French penpal), he gets miserable with Ruth and learns what she's really like. Meanwhile, he's really happy with Helga and talks about how much he enjoyed the night.

Any time when Helga shows an act of kindness (such as in It Girl), Arnold gets really overjoyed with her.

From these facts, I feel like we can take that, one day, things might work out for the two of them.

Nel_Annette

Man, I wrote this big paragraph because I completely misread your post. I thought you had phrased that as a question.  :lol: But I completely agree with you. Always makes me wish that Helga show they were planning had come to pass.

I should really get around to finishing that little marathon I was doing last December/January when I had my re-ignited obsession with the show. I got right to the point where the third voice actor took over for Arnold before I burned myself out.

Also, that Arnold/Ruth thing is so much more relatable after growing up. How many times have we finally gotten to spend time with that cute girl we've been eyeing just to realize that beyond her looks and how we built them up in our head, there was... nothing... there, and it was soul-crushing?

talonmalon333

Didn't that Helga spin-off say that Arnold and Helga broke up, though? I'm not sure how much I like that. :P

But yeah, the Ruth arc's ending was great. I do think it's odd how she thought nothing of Arnold and just saw him as some random waiter, when in previous episodes, she had run into him quite a few times and even smiled at him before. But I guess, back then, he was just a guy passing by that she decided to be polite to before immediately forgetting about.

Dr. Insomniac

Helga would have been such an abusive girlfriend to Arnold though. You don't stay with someone who makes shrines of you with their own gum.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on November 09, 2014, 06:40:40 PM
Helga would have been such an abusive girlfriend to Arnold though. You don't stay with someone who makes shrines of you with their own gum.

I have a feeling a good bit of her stress would be alleviated if she confessed.

Avaitor

There might be more Arnold after all.

Huh, the 90's really are eclipsing the 80's. Although yeah, nothing's official yet.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Would this be related to Nick currently being devoid of good content?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 14, 2015, 04:51:57 PM
Would this be related to Nick currently being devoid of good content?
I would imagine. Their ratings are getting hammered, too.

I wonder if this has something also to do with Hillenburg returning to Spongebob. Nick needs Spongebob now more than ever, so if its quality and ratings plummet, they'll be in serious trouble.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Maybe we'll get a show about Big Pete raising his kids, possibly with Ellen as their mom.

New blog!

talonmalon333

They should just go off the wall and make that Helga spinoff that was canceled. :P