Rescuers / Rescuers Down Under

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 15, 2012, 08:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes making this, but these films are getting re-released together in a package next week on DVD/Blu-Ray and I thought that could boost some discussion.

I know there are several here (present company included) that feel these are some of Disney's best.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You know, I haven't seen either movie in an extremely long time. I remember that I used to own Rescuers Down Under on VHS way back in the 90's and I loved it. That one got a lot of re-watches from me. That said, I barely remember the movie. I've only seen the original Rescuers once, and it was actually after I saw the sequel, so that one kind of underwhelmed me, personally. That said, I barely remember that one as well, so I'll check out both movies again one of these days.

talonmalon333

Both are good movies, but pretty low tier for Disney.

Avaitor

Yeah I think Dalek and I would likely tag-team talkbacks for these, but we might as well use this thread anyway.

A lot of B and C-list Disney films are getting Blu-Rays this year, and this set is the one I'm most excited for. I'll try to hit it up Tuesday.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nel_Annette

Thanks for the reminder. I loved these movies as a kid, so I'll be sure to pick this up.

No-Personality

I've watched the sequel at least twice in the last 5 years and both times, I found it just "okay." (While, of course, Goliath hated it. I thought he was a little unfair, even George C. Scott wasn't "bad," just lite. I mean, the same can easily be said for Robert Loggia in Oliver & Company- which is a lesser film anyway.)

The original, however, has always been one of Disney's most uplifting films. Ever. I think it's extremely underrated. From a filmmaking standpoint, not necessarily how much it "excites" the audience, it's one of Disney's most solid animated films. Period. Easily in the top 10 and above most of the company's more A-tier classics. Better than Snow White, Cinderella, Lady and the Tramp, 101 Dalmatians, Jungle Book, Bambi, and Peter Pan. But it has at least 2 noteworthy lull-spots: the Rescue Aid Society meeting and the majority of the time spent with the swamp family animals.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...