Why I Love Television

Started by Avaitor, September 02, 2012, 01:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

New series I'm starting out, where I pick specific episodes of various series to indicate why TV means so much to me and why I attempt to watch various programs, past and present. I'll try to go with examples from all time periods of television here, and not every episode will be my particular favorite from said series. This isn't ordered, and I'll try to update random. Please remind me to update some if I forget, since I really want this thread to thrive.

My first example is from a classic, but my next is more than likely going to be from a certain program that just started its new series. Stay tuned. ;)

The Dick Van Dyke Show- "It May Look Like a Walnut" Season 2.20 (Episode 50) Aired February 6, 1963

DVD is a good first choice since the whole series is coming out on Blu in a little over a month (hehe, I made a funny here). It's one of the first sitcoms written primarily for adults to really catch on. The Honeymooners sketches were a big hit on Jackie Gleason's show, but the "Classic 39" paled in the ratings against Perry Como and Gleason and crew quickly moved back to variety programming, and while I Love Lucy clearly had a big adult following, it was written for everyone.

Dick Van Dyke came about when Carl Reiner, fresh off of Your Show of Shows, found modern sitcom tropes tiresome and wanted to make a workplace comedy instead of a family affair like what you would see on most other sitcoms of the day. The Petries were happily married with child, but little Ritchie never factored into the show that much. Partly since his actor was fairly rotten, but moreso that Reiner could focus on Rob Petrie's work and sex life. Really, the main focus of the show tended to be on Rob's job as a television writer, with escapades based off of Reiner's time working in TV. Likely because of the way the show was set, The Dick Van Dyke Show wasn't a smash in its first season and was nearly cancelled, but a strong reception and Emmys season helped to keep it on for another 4 years and become a favorite.

But yeah, what about "It May Look Like a Walnut"? It's often voted among the best sitcom/TV episodes of all time, and while it's not my personal favorite DVD episode, it's clearly one of the most memorable, and for good cause.

The episode starts off with Rob watching a horror movie on TV in which walnuts play a major factor. Before going to sleep, he scares Laura with allt he details of it, making him laugh a little. As Rob wakes up the next morning, Laura attempts to make him a good-old fashioned breakfast... consisting entirely of walnuts. Of course Ritchie has to get his lunch for school as his parents sit in the kitchen, when Laura gives him... a bunch of walnuts. Rob goes to the office to help write a sketch for the Alan Brady Show, this time featuring a guest appearance by Danny Thomas, with his coworkers Buddy and Sally. And guess what? More walnuts figure their way into here!

I don't want to spoil the plots of these episodes too much, so I'll end here.

The Dick Van Dyke Show has some episodes that were out there, but never on the level of this one. The absurdity is classic 60's in its execution and tone, but what makes it stand the test of time is Reiner's idea that something as commonplace as a walnut can bring terror into our lives. It's silly, but controlled well and occasionally thought-provoking.

And despite how it's set, it's about as funny as ever. Reiner had specific ideas for how each area would be tackled as the action unfolded there- the living room scenes are often where the meat of the story took place, with slightly subdued jokes; the bedroom is more for reflection or build-up for later in the story; the kitchen scenes never last for long, but often set up for confrontation or the most interesting dialogue passages, almost like a family dinner; and Rob's office full of zeitgeist, based in part to the great chemistry and flawless timing of Morey Amsterdam and Rose Marie, both of which happened to liven up every scene they were in. Tons of TV shows, old and new, use similar methods to build stories and moods from, but DVD's pacing was incredible and use each set to their full advantage when necessary. You can see that portrayed particularly well in this episode, as each set has their purpose fulfilled.

This episode was written as a tribute to The Twilight Zone, which Reiner was a big fan of. At times it does feel like a sillier and self-aware episode, one that Rod Sterling could easily set up intros and outros for. Even if you haven't seen an episode of Twilight Zone, I'd hope that you can find out just how strong this episode is, based on its storytelling and sharp humor.

And here's my first. I'll work on my next piece later.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

I haven't watched the Dick Van Dyke Show in so long. Really, I only remember it for slightly fucking up the basics of the Mary Tyler Moore show by making her single instead of divorced.

Avaitor

Yeah, that's kinda true. Although I guess it's ultimately better that Mary only left her boyfriend in the show instead of her hubby, so he doesn't have to return beyond the pilot and mess up the pacing.

Here's the next one

Doctor Who (2005)- "The Girl Who Waited" Series 6.10 Aired September 10, 2011

So yeah, Doctor Who. Here's a reboot that turned out a lot better than anyone could have expected. While there are a lot of storyarcs from the original near-30-year run worth checking out, the new version gets a bit of an edge for having more personal storylines and long-formed storyarcs. Like the entirety of the sixth series, in which Amy and Rory are expecting a child, only for their newborn baby girl to be taken from them right at birth, and... well, spoilas.

Needless to say, series 6 had a lot going on. Sometimes it was a little too ambitious for its own good, but a lot of it holds up, like "The Girl Who Waited".

In this episode, the Doctor takes his companions, Amy and Rory, to the planet Apalapucia for a little vacation to ease their mind from all that's happened. If this was any other show, the three characters might be able to relax as intended, but little does the Doctor realize that the planet is under quarantine from a deadly virus. Still, they arrive, only for Amy to be taken from them. They're able to communicate with Amy, only for us to see that Amy has been trapped inside a container for 36 years, and is none too happy about this.

So yeah, there are two versions of Amy Pond communicating with the Doctor and Rory right now, in between an attack by Handbots. The older Amy, still angry about being trapped for so long, is able to help the Doctor and Rory, but only if the Doctor can promise to save her, instead of the younger Amy, knowing that she won't survive if the younger one is saved. Which could possibly mean that this Amy ceases to exist if the younger one dies, a situation the Doctor has to mind. It's a little confusing, but it makes sense when you watch and pay attention to the show.

Particularly when both Amys are able to communicate with each other, which makes for the centerpiece of the show. A big part of why Amy and Rory are such popular companions is because of their story. They've been best friends since they were little, back when Amy went by her full name of Amelia. and Rory has always loved her. We've seen flashbacks of their childhood before, but none of them are necessary now, as Amy's conversation with herself makes for one of the most emotionally stressing scenes in the entire series.

The Doctor may seem like he picks up companions at random convenience, but he does seem to have master plans for each of them. Typically, he picks people, usually female, who aren't happy with their home life, and takes them across all of space and time to see how much there is to life. He knows that their time with him is brief, since the Doctor can't keep them from their lives forever- either they needed a push to accept their faith, like Rose, have their heartbroken to find peace, like Martha, or, well, it's hard to explain what happened with Donna Noble if you haven't seen series 4. With Amy, the Doctor is returning an old favor, and while Rory kind of forced himself to the front at first, now the Doctor has helped him to find the balls to be the best husband for Amy and be his own man. You see Amy learn this during her conversation, and it foreshadows the future towards the both of them.

Science-fiction can take us too all over the galaxy, to places uncharted or unimaginable, all in the blink of an eye. We're able to learn so much about ourselves by inspecting the way of life for others. We can study religion, politics, sex, and psychology by going where no man has gone before. This is why I love science-fiction, and where Doctor Who succeeds extraordinarily well.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

-Buffy
-Cheers
-TNG
-The Honeymooners
-Parks and Recreation

Pick one of these shows and I'll come up with something.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

Actually, how's about I do Angel instead? But not just any Angel episode.

Angel- "I Will Remember You" Season 1.8 Aired November 23, 1999

This isn't the first Buffy crossover to occur in Angel, even ignoring the characters from the original to have a starring credit, and it isn't the last (there's a great Faith appearance later in the season, for one), nor is it the last time Buffy and Angel see each other in TV land, but this is the crossover that fans of both shows clearly remember the most, and for good cause.

I'm not a fan of Buffy and Angel's relationship. Sarah Michelle Gellar and David Boreanaz have solid chemistry, mind you, but after all of the things that Angelus had done during season 2, which included killing Jenny Calendar, beating Giles to a pulp in more than one occasion, emotionally scarring Buffy and her friends, and oh, nearly destroying the whole fucking planet, I kind of think that Buffy deserved better. Angel even seemed to think so when he walked away at the end of season 3, setting up for this great spin-off. But this episode gives us a chance to see what if they could work out regardless.

Buffy leaves Sunnydale for a few days to travel to LA to surprise Angel. After a little bit of discussion about their future, they reach an agreement- there isn't much of one for them. Their reunion is briefly interrupted by an attack from a Mohra demon, which Angel stabs in between their time together. As Buffy leaves, he returns to find the demon and slay it. As he does, a strange twist occurs- Angel is now human. The blood from this demon happens to be the Blood of Eternity, which restores Angel's life. He can now walk in the light and doesn't need blood to function.

And most importantly, this means he can now sleep with Buffy and nothing bad can happen after. Not like the last time he got it in, when he became the show's Big Bad. Buffy stays with Angel now, and the two get to make up for a long period of abstinence.

Sadly, there can be no such happy ending for these two characters. It turns out that the demon Angel supposedly killed still walks among them. when Angel attempts to fight it again as a human, he fails miserably, until Buffy comes in to the save the day. Angel than realizes that he is worthless without his supernatural powers, and attempts to make a plea to the Oracles of the Buffyverse to regain his nightwalker status. This means that he will lose his new found ability to be human, and must give up Buffy as a result. It's a difficult decision, but considering all the shit that occurs in LA, the best possible decision Angel can make.

Cordy and Doyle some good stuff here as well, but really, this is about Buffy and Angel, and a perfect finale to a wholly imperfect love story. Buffy and Angel have a lot more in their lives to take care of, and sadly it doesn't look like they really need one or the other in them. It's a bittersweet ending, but one that easily reminds me of the strengths of both Buffy and Angel.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, it's definitely one of the few highlights of the first season. Really, that point of the series was dedicated more to depending on its parent show for help rather than doing its own thing.

Avaitor

True, while Joss was working with some of his weakest ideas in Buffy at the time, with Riley and the Initiative.

The following season for both shows was a step up IMO.

New blog!

Avaitor

If you want another one (and if anyone besides Insommy reads these), tell me what kind of show or episode you want me to write about.

I haven't forgotten about this, but I just happen to have a lot of ideas and not enough motivation to regularly update.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

I want you to do an episode of a show you've recently gotten into.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 22, 2012, 05:08:05 AM
I want you to do an episode of a show you've recently gotten into.
This sounds like a good idea to me.

Avaitor

One about a family man?

Because that would be kind of hard for me to do, since I appreciate that show for its serialization, so most episodes don't exactly standout to me immediately.

New blog!