Sunday comics...from the 1970s

Started by Mr. Big, September 05, 2012, 09:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Big

I recently purchased a few Sunday comics from the mid-1970s. It's from Chicago Sun-Times, and the selection's pretty interesting. It has some strips that's still around (B.C., Nancy, Ziggy, etc.) but most of the line-up are strips that's no longer around.

Here's one of them, called Conchy. It was drawn by James Childress and ran in papers from 1970 to 1977. I consider this to be a wonderful strip, about the philosophical musings of a gang of beach combers on some island. Alas, the creator committed suicide (he was only 36), which pretty much dropped the strip off the face of the Earth.

Another strip I like in the papers is Kelly & Duke by Jack Moore. A really funny comic in spite of the incredibly stiff artwork.

Finally, here's a Crock strip. This one ran quite a while. It actually ended about a month or two back. I'm only posting this because of the soldier in drag asking if the guy wants to "fool around", which I'm surprised got published...

So yeah, those are the kind of comics that ran about 35 years ago. Anyone wants to see more?

Avaitor

I got a couple of chuckles out of the Concy strips, and the Crock one was also cute. I'd like to see more.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Mr. Big

Here's one more Conchy Sunday that I have. I recently purchased about 20 Sunday cutouts of the strip on eBay. I'll post 'em when they arrive.