Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Anime

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, September 06, 2012, 11:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I guess you and I just visited very different forums then. I swear that almost everywhere that I have gone, Princess Mononoke has been one of the most highly praised Miyazaki films that I know of. :P

Dr. Insomniac

Being adapted by Neil Gaiman doesn't hurt.

Rynnec

Quote from: gunswordfist on September 07, 2012, 06:29:28 PM
I liked Scar more in FMA. He was in a tie for my favorite character in the show (Greed's the other one..and also noticeably worse in FMAB but that might be because they rushed that part to catch up to the manga. And no I'm not talking about Ling Greed. Fuck him)

But Greedling has a much more sexier voice.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Rynnec on September 16, 2012, 01:08:58 AM
I liked Scar more in FMA. He was in a tie for my favorite character in the show (Greed's the other one..and also noticeably worse in FMAB but that might be because they rushed that part to catch up to the manga. And no I'm not talking about Ling Greed. Fuck him)

>>Thinking Chris Patton doesn't have a sexy voice.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've recently been re-watching 2 particular anime series in bits and pieces, but I honestly have to say;

I think that Trigun is a better show than Cowboy Bebop. Don't get me wrong, Cowboy Bebop is still one of my favorite anime ever and is easily one of the most influential, but....I'd be lying if I said that I loved every single second of it. Some episodes can be boring and sometimes the series can get too wrapped up in being stylistic that it loses me for quite a few moments before it does anything to catch my interest again. That's just how I feel. Trigun has a good story, compelling characters, and is constantly entertaining. Its not as influential or as "expertly crafted" as Cowboy Bebop (as some would say), and it has far inferior animation, but its just a lot more interesting and entertaining for me to watch.

Rynnec

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 16, 2012, 01:10:31 AM
Quote from: Rynnec on September 16, 2012, 01:08:58 AM

>>Thinking Chris Patton doesn't have a sexy voice.

>>Implying his voice is sexier than Troy Baker's.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 16, 2012, 01:18:33 AM
I've recently been re-watching 2 particular anime series in bits and pieces, but I honestly have to say;

I think that Trigun is a better show than Cowboy Bebop. Don't get me wrong, Cowboy Bebop is still one of my favorite anime ever and is easily one of the most influential, but....I'd be lying if I said that I loved every single second of it. Some episodes can be boring and sometimes the series can get too wrapped up in being stylistic that it loses me for quite a few moments before it does anything to catch my interest again. That's just how I feel. Trigun has a good story, compelling characters, and is constantly entertaining. Its not as influential or as "expertly crafted" as Cowboy Bebop (as some would say), and it has far inferior animation, but its just a lot more interesting and entertaining for me to watch.

I can't make a fair comparison for both shows since I haven't seen all of Trigun yet (I got up to about episode 10 before Funimation removed the dubbed episodes) but I can say that "H.T" is a slightly better song than "Tank!".

Dr. Insomniac

Nel_Annette

I gotta say, that talk in the TZ Bleach episode talkback is really cathartic, it's the first time in years I've actually felt like I'm having a conversation on TZ and not just everyone saying their own little thought bubble and leaving it at that.

As I said in the post there, though: I have been watching some of the anime dvds I've been ordering, mostly AS and Sci-Fi's Animonday stuff, and I gotta say, Code Geass isn't holding up for me at all. I always remembered the fanservice weighing it down for me, but I forgot how much is actually in this and the dvds are unedited, so... yeah. Also, the freaking high school scenes. Ugh. We got a show about Japanese being slaughtered en masse and then we go straight to an episode about shenanigans at a high school festival. Riveting. And I'm nowhere near the butchered Season 2 yet.  :lol:

Dr. Insomniac

Code Geass is one of the most poorly-thought out shows in recent time. The creators were simultaneously too serious and not serious enough. Not to mention the racist subtext in making the British Americans Britannians psychotic, bloodthirsty manipulators who have sexual feelings for their siblings.

Nel_Annette

Lelouch just murdered Clovis in cold blood and is choking back vomit because of it, but instead of exploring that further, here's Milly with a comment on Shirley's twins!  :joy:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Code Geass is basically just a poor man's Death Note combined with a poor man's Gundam. Another way of saying it is that its essentially 2 poorly done series' concepts for the price of nothing....except wasted time....

Nel_Annette

Well, it's in my collection now, at any rate. And since I started marathoning it, I'm going to see it through to the end. And then comes Gurren Lagann, which I'm dreading just as much. (I'm really not even sure why I bought that one. Just to have it I guess.)

Dr. Insomniac

Not only is it badly-written, but it also feels morally reprehensible in a way. The way the show lets Lelouch off of committing mass murder and government manipulation, even making him some kind of hero in the end, is just disgusting.

At least Gurren Lagann's tongue-in-cheek.

Rynnec

Damn, now you guys are making me want to watch Code Geass again. I quite liked it in highschool, but now that I'm out of my "angry teen" phase, I'd like to see how it holds up as well.

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 16, 2012, 02:03:10 AM
Not only is it badly-written, but it also feels morally reprehensible in a way. The way the show lets Lelouch off of committing mass murder and government manipulation, even making him some kind of hero in the end, is just disgusting.

At least Gurren Lagann's tongue-in-cheek.

IIRC, the show tried to paint Lulu in a grayer light (even toning done Britannia's "EVUL"-ness) but the results...yeah.

Quote from: Nel on September 16, 2012, 02:02:01 AM
Well, it's in my collection now, at any rate. And since I started marathoning it, I'm going to see it through to the end. And then comes Gurren Lagann, which I'm dreading just as much. (I'm really not even sure why I bought that one. Just to have it I guess.)

I fucking love Gurren Lagann. Though, I know that most everyone else here doesn't.

Dr. Insomniac

Eh, whatever gray morality the show was trying to portray got blown in the very first episode when Britannian soldiers were shown slaughtering unarmed civilians for poorly explained reasons.