Animation Revelation Shoutbox

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 28, 2010, 04:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Quote from: Brak's Dad on June 15, 2012, 09:09:56 PM
You can't. I just wanted to see if Kidd has the balls to top me. ;D

Sorry, I don't.   :shit:

Kiddington

Foggle ruined the fun for me. I was going to make it my sig and everything.  :shit:

Rynnec

So yeah, I posted the "65 greatest cartoons" list on Tvtropes, on both its Western Animation and its Anime subforums, if that's okay with you guys.

Avaitor

Sounds cool. Tell us how it goes. they'll probably hate it
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rynnec

The one in the Anime subforum hasa couple of people who were puzzled that Haruhi and Madoka Magica didn't make the list, but Higurashi and Yu Yu Hakusho did.  :lol: Other members soon called them out on it.

Though the thread in the Western Animation sub-forum seems to be a bit more receptive, then again, it only has 5 posts so far.

Avaitor

Reasons Haruhi didn't make it in:

• Endless Eight
  • Do I need to continue?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

As for Madoka... Kyubey did it.

Foggle

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

New blog!

Rynnec

QuoteIt reads like a mismatch of entry-level mainstream shonen anime, (Dragon Ball, Death Note, Full Metal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho), stereotypical +classics that are worshipped by retro-elitist", (Cowboy Bebop, Lupin III, Evangelion, Gundam, FMP:TSR, Monster, GTO), plus some random violent series that totally prove that anime is not for kids. (Baccano, Higurashi, Paranoia Agent, Excel Saga)
I would like to believe that the writer just happens to be a fan of old-school fighting/action series, and thrillers, but given that it was written by the site's membership collectively, and the way it is mixed with western cartoons, it feels more like pandering to the western sensibilities of the non-fans reading it, who would be put off by seeing the pictures of too many colorful-haired big-eyed teenage girls, or reading premises about high school settings.
But as it is, the list doesn't reflect anyone's tastes in anime. Neither the overall fandom's, nor plausibly any individual writer's. It reflects the tastes of the average mature animation fan, who sometimes happens to watch "Japanimation"

I have no idea what this guy is trying to get at.

Dr. Insomniac

Ask him what the fuck kind of anime he'd want, then.

Rynnec

Done and done.

On a brighter note, the Western Animation thread has been more sensible. One was puzzled at STAS being #50, and a couple of other's thought EE&E were too high. And of course there were people who thought Avatar was too low, and that Samurai Jack should have made the list. And there was at least one person who was delighted to see KOTH's placement.

Avaitor

I didn't know that "the average mature animation fan" would give love to the Disney Afternoon, American Dragon, the Angry Beavers, or GTO. Hell, when was that ever worshipped by "retro elitists"?

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on June 20, 2012, 06:14:32 PM
I have no idea what this guy is trying to get at.
Tell this guy to kill himself because the world would be better off without him.

Joking, of course. Please don't tell him that. But his complaints are completely idiotic. I didn't realize that quote-unquote retro elitists worshiped Full Metal Panic, nor was I aware that Excel Saga is anything resembling violent or "mature" outside of its final episode.

He clearly has some issues to work out. And bad opinions.