Animation Revelation Shoutbox

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 28, 2010, 04:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Dr. Insomniac

I'm starting to feel like people who complain and judge fandoms as if they personally know people in those groups despite probably not even bothering to seem like gigantic douches. Especially when their own zealotry towards a show becomes evident.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 12, 2013, 02:00:57 AM
I'm starting to feel like people who complain and judge fandoms as if they personally know people in those groups despite probably not even bothering to seem like gigantic douches. Especially when their own zealotry towards a show becomes evident.

That's kind of how I've been feeling for quite some time. Welcome to the club.

Kiddington

Sorry, but I still think the majority of bronies are nuts.

If that makes me a gigantic douche, well, so be it.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Kiddington on February 12, 2013, 03:02:12 PM

Sorry, but I still think the majority of bronies are nuts.

If that makes me a gigantic douche, well, so be it.
Guys, sound the alarm. Chdr hacked Kiddington's account! :shit:

But really, how many times have you ever actually met a brony who's unironically admitted that they fap to ponies or claim Fluttershy as their waifu? Now compare that to how many times you see people support Pinecest, binge through Rule 34 of MegatronXStarscream, or think that ki attacks are a real thing. Not hear about in stories or find through some broad tumblr search, but when you actually find a person who genuinely, wholeheartedly relishes in that action without a single thought to the contrary? I just think we let the behavior of certain people smear others in general. Are we really gonna shame people who just happen to like a show or a book or a movie just because other people who like said show, book, or movie might be involved in questionable activities? For instance, aside from Kiddington, most of the people I've seen who are American Dad fans come off as assholes or just people I would never want to be around at all. But I'm not gonna judge all AD! fans or even the majority of AD! fans with the same kind of measure. If a Gleek happens to have a diaper fetish, don't judge him for liking Glee, judge him for getting off to shitting his own pants. In other words, you don't aim for the label, but what the nametag is attached to.

I mean, that's the same kind of logic that snobbish pseudo-intellectuals do to smear all video game enthusiasts by linking people who just happen to be into PC gaming with psychopaths who have been groomed by supposed murder simulators. Are you really gonna let some "oh, those people like what I don't like! They must have cooties!" mentality get in the way of treating people like people instead of a fucking statistic?

Lord Dalek

HEY GUYS I HAS A WORKING MONITOR AGAIN!

Dr. Insomniac

Kiddington

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 12, 2013, 03:19:09 PM
Guys, sound the alarm. Chdr hacked Kiddington's account! :shit:

:blush:

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 12, 2013, 03:19:09 PM
But really, how many times have you ever actually met a brony who's unironically admitted that they fap to ponies or claim Fluttershy as their waifu? Now compare that to how many times you see people support Pinecest, binge through Rule 34 of MegatronXStarscream, or think that ki attacks are a real thing. Not hear about in stories or find through some broad tumblr search, but when you actually find a person who genuinely, wholeheartedly relishes in that action without a single thought to the contrary? I just think we let the behavior of certain people smear others in general. Are we really gonna shame people who just happen to like a show or a book or a movie just because other people who like said show, book, or movie might be involved in questionable activities? For instance, aside from Kiddington, most of the people I've seen who are American Dad fans come off as assholes or just people I would never want to be around at all. But I'm not gonna judge all AD! fans or even the majority of AD! fans with the same kind of measure. If a Gleek happens to have a diaper fetish, don't judge him for liking Glee, judge him for getting off to shitting his own pants. In other words, you don't aim for the label, but what the nametag is attached to.

I mean, that's the same kind of logic that snobbish pseudo-intellectuals do to smear all video game enthusiasts by linking people who just happen to be into PC gaming with psychopaths who have been groomed by supposed murder simulators. Are you really gonna let some "oh, those people like what I don't like! They must have cooties!" mentality get in the way of treating people like people instead of a fucking statistic?

Fair enough, I suppose. Trust me, I really don't mean to come off as a chdr (because let's face it, that guy is really a piece of work), but all of my experiences with bronies have been... let's just say "less than ideal", so I can't help myself on that one. The fact that they are literally making me feel embarrassed to even watch the show, almost to the point where I downright hate it (when I used to like it) certainly doesn't help either.

But hey, whatevs. Dragon Ball superfans (IE the Paschal's of the world) are almost just as bad, and I still haven't soured on that one yet, so hey... guess I just have to live and let live.

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, to be honest, the reason why I've been hesitant to get back into American Dad has been the less than stellar behavior of a few fans that I've interacted with. I try to tell myself that the show shouldn't be judged by its fans though, but it's a slow process.

Foggle

I think there's a difference between superfans and regular fans, though. The hardcore Resident Evil fanbase is absolutely horrific from what I've seen, but the guys who just like playing and talking about the games sometimes seem cool.

Nel_Annette

I'm kind of with Kid on this one. I don't like to judge, but whenever I have actually come into contact with a fan of something I like offline, they come across as crazy and remind me why I keep my fandom friends to online only. MLP, Sonic, anime in general... I'm on plenty of sites with rational level-headed fans of things I like, but when I finally meet one in real life they are the worst stereotype of those fans.  :lol:

Avaitor

I normally wouldn't pay attention to these, yet I can't help but find it hilariously awesome that Tom & Jerry is nominated for Best Cartoon for the KCAs.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

RIP Reg Pritchard.
Loved his family, hated the rebels.

Foggle

NOOOOOOO! :cry:

RIP in peace, Rebels Guy.

Dr. Insomniac

He just wanted to know why they kept moving his greenhouse. :frown: