Animation Revelation Shoutbox

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 28, 2010, 04:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I've got a new one I'm working on- mixology in television, or how alcohol choices define character traits.

The Wire seems like a good one to study, for instance. Although now I have to try to decide the differences between Heineken (McNulty) and Miller Lite (Kima). Then again, it seems like most people's choice of beer on the show is Heine. Either that's Baltimore's favorite domestic (er, foreign) or they were a sponsor for the show.

HIMYM is another interesting one to go through, as is Mad Men. Especially when you consider that most of the regulars on the latter go for scotch with one major exception- Sterling is almost always seen with vodka in his glass.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

SSJ Jake

Quote from: GaryPotter on May 04, 2013, 08:09:44 PM
Hopefully he'll be less of a colossal asshole now.

I regret siding with him on a lot of issues. I like Family Guy, but it's not exactly "High Caliber Television", MacFarlane knows this and prides himself on it. What Mike did was not only hypocritical (hating My Little Pony and Bronies is okay but hating Family Guy is *quotes Mermaid Man AND Taka Michinoku* "EEEEEEEVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLL") but also made him look like a big whiny bitch. He seemed to let his ego get to his head, thinking that because he's older and had been around longer than a lot of other TZers he had the right to derail other's opinions and act like his were facts, whether it's on FG, Godzilla, anime (including Myazaki films), EarthBound or The Looney Tunes Show. I apologize for encouraging him, though he probably doesn't even know I exist.

YOU AM NO REAL SUPER SAND

Dr. Insomniac

Even worse, you can see that his legacy has already gone onto a new breed of people who think their opinions outweigh others and yell at anyone who disagrees. For instance, I'm sure I don't have to repeat chdr's words, do I?

SSJ Jake

I wasn't around to see that, so link me to what chdr said if you don't mind?

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: SSJ Jake on May 10, 2013, 03:25:47 PM
I wasn't around to see that, so link me to what chdr said if you don't mind?
Just go on his twitter (same handle), and binge through a couple pages to see his tantrums. Also, he was the guy who accused all bronies of being racists and anybody who watches loli anime as a sex offender.

SSJ Jake

Quotehorse renoir ‏@chdr 6 May
I forgave The Hub for unleashing MLP: Friendship is Magic onto the world but picking up She-Zow is one step too far. THEY MUST BE STOPPED
I'm pretty sure the Hub doesn't care if you personally don't like their programming. Yikes, what the Hel happened to this guy?

Last thing I'll say about Darth Mike, granted he still watches the show, I wonder how he feels about the Nostalgia Critic now knowing that Doug likes TLTS.

Dr. Insomniac

He'll probably start crying that Doug's lost it or something.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Last time I spoke with him it sounded like he didn't even watch Family Guy anymore. But that was 2 years back or something.

Nel_Annette

I find it funner and funner to politely disagree with people in the nicest way possible nowadays, especially on YouTube where they'll call me a fucknut or a cockshit or whatever. And when they do, I just tell them that I hope they have a better day tomorrow.  :joy:

Avaitor

Yeah, I don't really seem him talk about Family Guy at all anymore. If he's on tz, it's only to promote his Animaniacs tumblr.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

GaryPotter

I'll never forget Mike posting in a Bob's Burgers thread asking why people like the show. As if he though the idea simply couldn't happen.

He's transitioned completely into adulthood, so obviously he can't relate to younger folks anymore. However, I also think that Internet culture has poisoned him. He can't separate anything from it's fanbase, or at least what he perceives as it's fanbase. Miyazaki movies are masterpieces and fans are intelligent and mature, unlike most of the rest of the anime fandom. But don't tell Mike that!

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, I remember that story of his about how he went to anime club in high school, but they treated him so badly that he couldn't stomach anime at all. I'm starting to believe those guys were actually nice people, but Darth was just such an asshole that they politely told him to leave. With the dissonance between attitudes making him believe he was in the right and did absolutely nothing wrong.

Still, maybe his story was true. That said, refusing to watch a medium because of some bad high school experience seems manchildish and shallow.

GaryPotter

What's ironic is that the anime fandom, to the extent that it even existed, was a billion times better back then. He graduated in...1999, right?

If he entered an anime club NOW, then his ideas would certainly be justified.

Dr. Insomniac

Eh, the really bad fanboys are usually too introverted to even go to clubs, and the few anime clubs I've seen actually seem pretty chill and self-aware.