Justice League

Started by Avaitor, September 24, 2012, 11:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

We don't have a JL/JLU thread? All of the other DCAU shows have one, so this is long overdue.

I just felt like saying that I love the Joker's redesign here. He looks really creepy, and not like Roger Klotz like he did in TNBA.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Sometimes, I wonder why I didn't finish that retrospective. Then I remember I was at the episode where Lyta Hall tried to copy the plot from Y The Last Man for poorly explained reasons.

talonmalon333

I've been watching this for the past few months (currently far into Unlimited). Aside from Batman and Superman for obvious reasons, Hawkgirl is my favorite.

Avaitor

Another thing I was thinking about is why we didn't see more of Batman's villains. I used to think that we didn't see Two-Face, the Penguin or such because of the Bat-embargo, and while that did cut down on more potential Joker appearances, I think the main reason is because most if not all of Batman's villains are better suited for local affairs. The Joker really is one of the few who can easily operate worldwide damage, among the likes of Luthor.

Mr. Freeze is an exception, but I don't think he would have fit into the show all that well. Plus I think his story was kind of done at that point anyway.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Though it was kind of weird how Milo and Temple Fugate somehow became big shots at Cadmus. I mean, how do you go from capturing pets to working as a government operative?

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 24, 2012, 11:34:34 PM
I've been watching this for the past few months (currently far into Unlimited). Aside from Batman and Superman for obvious reasons, Hawkgirl is my favorite.
*shakes talon's hand*
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on September 25, 2012, 12:57:12 AM
Another thing I was thinking about is why we didn't see more of Batman's villains. I used to think that we didn't see Two-Face, the Penguin or such because of the Bat-embargo, and while that did cut down on more potential Joker appearances, I think the main reason is because most if not all of Batman's villains are better suited for local affairs. The Joker really is one of the few who can easily operate worldwide damage, among the likes of Luthor.

Mr. Freeze is an exception, but I don't think he would have fit into the show all that well. Plus I think his story was kind of done at that point anyway.
I remember you talking about how Two-Face's story was done in BTAS (never seen that episode). And during the Royal Flush gang episode, I believe I was also thinking about how The Joker was the only Batvillain that was a big enough threat for the Justice League.
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 25, 2012, 12:59:08 AM
Though it was kind of weird how Milo and Temple Fugate somehow became big shots at Cadmus. I mean, how do you go from capturing pets to working as a government operative?
Oh yeah, that guy. And what he was working on...seriously from cats to....you well know who?!!! But either way, the scene where he imagined himself pulling out a rifle is hilarious as hell.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

In my runthrough of Justice League, I recently saw the episode Epilogue. Truthfully, I had no idea if I should talk about it in the Justice League thread, or in the Batman Beyond thread (because it kind of is really a Beyond episode). But I decided to post it here, because I also wanted to mention thoughts on other parts of season 2's ending.

But anyway, the episode Epilogue. I liked it. Sure, the choice to make it a Justice League episode is very questionable. But whatever. The material itself was good, and I like that Terry eventually told Dana that he's the new Batman.

Another thing about the last few episodes of season 2... never again will I question the Flash's power (I once believed he might be the weakest of the 7). :P

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 26, 2012, 11:48:17 PM
But anyway, the episode Epilogue. I liked it. Sure, the choice to make it a Justice League episode is very questionable. But whatever. The material itself was good, and I like that Terry eventually told Dana that he's the new Batman.
Yeah, it didn't really need to be a JLU episode, huh? Well I do know that after Beyond unexpectedly ended with its 52 episode run, Timm decided to make all of his season finales be epic to make sure that in case they don't get renewed, the show ends with a bang.

The first season finale of JLU, where we see the future Justice League with Terry and Static was meant to be a nod to the show and to acknowledge this, while "Epilogue", which they actually thought was going to be the end of the show, was meant to end the entire DCAU. Obviously that wasn't the case, since it got another year, but it would've been a perfectly fine finale IMO.

Especially with the Phantasm cameo. It still breaks my heart that Andrea and Bruce never got to meet again (in the series, at least; the comics are another story), and having Waller try to add her into the mix was a brilliant, if hollow, touch.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 26, 2012, 11:48:17 PM
Another thing about the last few episodes of season 2... never again will I question the Flash's power (I once believed he might be the weakest of the 7). :P
That could've been a perfect end, too. Nothing like seeing Flash, often considered to be the most useless of the core 7, save the world for a change.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If you notice, the ending scene of Epilogue is a direct homage to the opening scene of On Leather Wings, the first BTAS episode and the very first episode of any DCAU show, for that matter.

Avaitor

Yep, I called that out before. It was just a strong production all-in-all.

New blog!

talonmalon333

So I was thinking, and this is probably how I'd rank the seasons in order of greatness.

1. Justice League Season 2
2. Justice League Unlimited Season 2
3. Justice League Unlimited Season 1
4. Justice League Season 1
5. Justice League Unlimited Season 3

To me the story wasn't quite as strong after the Lex+Braniac fight and the Batman Beyond epilogue, even though it was still really good.

Avaitor

I'd probably rank JLU season 3 higher, although neither are too strong.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on February 26, 2013, 05:00:42 PM
I'd probably rank JLU season 3 higher, although neither are too strong.

JL season 1 wasn't nearly as good as season 2, but it had its strengths, and I quite liked the three part finale. JLU season 3 was good, but the JLU season 2 was just such a perfect ending and a perfect way for the show to go out, that it couldn't be topped. The season 3 finale was almost anticlimactic compared to the the whole Lex+Braniac thing, and the Batman Beyond epilogue.

But despite that, I think the entire show was great from start to finish.

talonmalon333

By the way, something I've been curious about.

How come some people weren't fans of JLU?