Justice League

Started by Avaitor, September 24, 2012, 11:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I remember being let down by JLU because I much preferred the smaller superhero team from the original, as that allowed for more character development.

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 05, 2013, 01:01:46 PM
How come some people weren't fans of JLU?
The formula of having more established heroes team up with the lesser ones got old very fast, and since a lot of the newbies we see don't have much of a chance to appear again, it became a little hard to admire the existence of most of them.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

When it came out it was because it was shorter and focused on more characters. Though I think as a whole it's WAY better than JL season 1 outside of a handful of episodes.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Silverstar

Quote from: Avaitor on March 05, 2013, 02:00:24 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 05, 2013, 01:01:46 PM
How come some people weren't fans of JLU?
The formula of having more established heroes team up with the lesser ones got old very fast, and since a lot of the newbies we see don't have much of a chance to appear again, it became a little hard to admire the existence of most of them.

This was definitely the case with me. I didn't like the roster expansion to the JLArmy; I didn't think it was necessary nor did I feel that it improved the quality of the stories. Half of the new characters didn't even do anything or even get any dialogue to utter; I didn't see the point of bringing in 30+ additional heroes to the League when all most of them did was hover around in the backgrounds. Also, the expansion seemed to lessen the overall 'coolness factor' of the JL; it made it seem like any Joe Shmoe with a fancy costume and a gimmick could get in. If bench warmers and jobbers like Vibe, Elongated Man, Gypsy and Booster Gold are considered worthy to stand alongside the World's Greatest Heroes (TM), then the producers might as well have dropped Mr. T, Ricky Bobby, Inspector Gadget and the Super Globetrotters in there as well.

I would have preferred that roster had stayed with just the Big 7 with the occasional 'Super Guest', and maybe added Green Arrow, Black Canary, Vixen, and the Question as reserve members. Oh, and I'd have rather they did a better job with Hawkman than making him a creepy fanboy stalker.

That said, I did prefer the shorter episodes to JL's 2-parters.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Avaitor

Quote from: Silverstar on March 05, 2013, 03:54:02 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on March 05, 2013, 02:00:24 PM
That said, I did prefer the shorter episodes to JL's 2-parters.
Personally, I think they got the two-parter formula down with season 2. It felt like Timm and crew treated the show as an hour-long sci-fi drama, and made every moment count. Season 1 as a whole feels pretty disjointed when you look at it, however.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Season 2 of Justice League was fantastic. They fixed every issue I had with season 1 and put it up there with the best of the DCAU.

Only A Dream is one of my fave DCAU episodes.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

When it first came out, I felt REALLY alienated by having a bunch of new (to the show), obscure heroes forced into the episodic stories, which to me just felt way too cluttered. After having re-watched the entire series, I can say that JL season 1 certainly hasn't aged well, but season 2 is the best one of the entire series (IMO). By that point, the team definitely had the proper experience to tell grand stories and develop the 7 core heroes of the team. But then things practically reset with JLU, and we had a ton of heroes join the team, most of which I quite frankly had no reason to care about. I wouldn't mind if they had maybe added a few new characters onto the team gradually, but having so many appear at once just wasn't something I was interested in. That said, I did give JLU a fair shake later on, and for what its worth, I liked it....well, part of it. I found that season 3 (the first season of JLU) felt way too cluttered and was sloppily put together. But to its credit, it still had far better writing than season 1 of JL, and it did still manage to be entertaining most of the time for the episodes that included at least one of the regular heroes. Season 4 was basically the peak of JLU with the 2nd half of the Cadmus arc, and while it wasn't quite as good as season 2 of JL, it was highly enjoyable and overall well written. Season 5, was....yet another mess, honestly. Having all of those villains come in and join forces sounded like it would be cool, but it just didn't work out too well. That said, I do have to admit that I really enjoyed the series finale, even though most people apparently hated it. That said, Season 4's finale with "Epilogue" would have been a far better point to leave the series off on.

talonmalon333

I kind of like JL and JLU tied (maybe a slight edge to the original season though), largely cause the 2-part story telling wasn't so necessary. Sure, none of the new heroes were as good as the original seven. But I quite liked people like Green Arrow, Black Canary, the Question, Huntress, Supergirl, and so on. It also has some of my favorite fights in the whole series. I also think the humor is stronger. I might flip my bottom two picks in that list I posted earlier.

That said, I do really think all 5 seasons are great.

Avaitor

I will say though, "This Little Piggy" kicks ass.

But at the same time, "Kid's Stuff" does little for me. Go figure.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Also, I think the Cadmus story might be my favorite arc in the series.

Spark Of Spirit

Wally's glory moment of beating the big bad was one of my favorite parts of the show. I was almost expecting him to bite it after all the hints and whatnot.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 06, 2013, 04:12:53 PM
Wally's glory moment of beating the big bad was one of my favorite parts of the show. I was almost expecting him to bite it after all the hints and whatnot.

Agreed 100%. And I loved seeing this hero, who initially looks like one of the weaker members of the team, manage to do something that none of the other Justice League members could even come close to doing and defeating Lex, who had become the most powerful villain at that point (Until then, I had always wondered why some consider Flash to be a "broken character". :P). And I really loved how how they tied the Justice Lords story into it (which really was a part of the Cadmus arc). And one of my favorite images is, when Lex brings down the team, when he has Flash held down to be executed, Lex forgoes his attacks and essentially creates a gun to pull on him.

And then the Cadmus arc is wrapped up with that epilogue. Man, I can't say enough great things about that episode.

talonmalon333

I do have to say though, there's one thing about the Cadmus arc that leaves me confused. What exactly was Lex's plan? Because it almost seems like it is to fulfill the predetermined future, killing Flash and then being killed by Superman. Even when he merges with Braniac and claims that he will "remake" the universe, he still says that he will fulfill the future of killing Flash which would lead things to chaos.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, having Flash defeat Lex/Braniac was easily my favorite scene in the entire series. It takes the "joke" character of the series and really shows you why he's not to be underestimated, and beyond his childish mannerisms and overall personality, he's just as true of a hero as any of the other core Justice League members. I also like the following scene in which the rest of the members join hands to pull Wally out of the speed-force (or whatever the hell its called). Sure, it might come off as pretty corny to most people, but I'm a complete sucker for that sort of stuff.

gunswordfist

Two days ago I watch the last 5 episodes of whatever season has the Cadmus arc. What a great arc.

I got to appreciate Epilogue more since I've recently saw episodes of the show (unlike when I first saw the show and it was a forever ago since I've seen any BB) Plus I've seen most of the show's episodes on Hub. Anyway, I liked it even though I don't think what Terry was told was enough to quickly make him proud to be Batman. My favorite part is still the flashback with Batman and that Royal Flush gang psychic girl. Lastly, thanks for pointing out that nod to On Leather Wings, guys.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody