How to Train Your Dragon

Started by Avaitor, September 25, 2012, 08:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Discuss the franchise here. The film, the show or whatever.

Is the show any good? I saw the first special that CN aired, when the movie was first coming out on DVD/Blu, and liked it, but haven't been keeping up with the show at all.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Spark Of Spirit

I'm not a big fan of Dreamworks shows (Penguins aside) so I haven't checked it out.

The movie is really good, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 25, 2012, 08:40:20 PM
Meh...
I'll take that as a no.

Oh well, it's still my favorite Dreamworks movie, but I can wait for the sequel.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Daikun

I still think this is DreamWorks' best film to date.

Nel_Annette

Seeing the film for the first time right now on FX.

This... this is much much better than the fucking show. Holy crap.

Commode

Yeah, the show fucking blows.  Can't believe they are pushing it so hard, but then again it's not the first time.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Alright, totally not watching the show then.

New blog!

Nel_Annette

That said, if the second movie they're making is as good as this, I'm all for it. I'm honestly loving this.

The show? basically, this is every episode I've seen.

-Problem seems to be caused by dragons.
-"Son, these dragons have got to go."
-"No, dad, this is the real problem."
-"Okay, the dragons can stay."

Every episode has been a snoozefest and honestly didn't make me want to watch the movie. I only just caught this on FX, thank goodness.

Avaitor

Yeah, that sounds tiresome.

But from what I remember of skimming the original book's sequels, there seems to be a lot of cool things they can do with the concept. I'm really hoping that the sequel turns out well.

New blog!

Goldstar

The movie was OK. I didn't love it, but it was enjoyable (use of the worn out dead mother trope aside). The series, however, is a total bore and it rehashes the exact same plot ad nausea; with Hiccup having to prove to his father that dragons are good week after week. I watched the 1st few episodes and then fell off due to lack of interest.

As for the movie sequel, I'll most likely wait for it to come out on DVD, like I did for the 1st one.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

SSJ Jake

I'm guessing I'm the only one here who likes the show? I thought it was going to be boring to watch when I first saw the previews but I rather enjoy it whenever it's on.

I have yet to see the movie but I've been meaning to.

YOU AM NO REAL SUPER SAND

LumRanmaYasha

I don't make a habit of keeping up with it, but it's certainly a good show and can be quite enjoyable, maybe surprisingly so.

Lord Il

For myself, the movie was an enjoyable watch. The series.. well... I'm not saying it's horrible. I DO watch it, but the formula is too much the same...
Quote from: Nel_Annette on November 25, 2012, 08:23:19 PM
-Problem seems to be caused by dragons.
-"Son, these dragons have got to go."
-"No, dad, this is the real problem."
-"Okay, the dragons can stay."

Exactly.
I'm thinking Dreamworks had best pull a rabbit out of their hat soon to keep things fresh and interesting with Riders Of Berk.

Favorite characters: the twins, Ruffnut and Tuffnut. They have some of the funniest lines. I recall one episode where Tuff thought a mother's baby, wrapped in a blanket as looking like a "bunch of sticks, wrapped in a slab of bacon." That really got me.
  8)

Lord Il

Recently noticed that Dreamworks put up their teaser trailer for How To Train Your Dragon 2 on YouTube. It's about a year away from release.

Does it deserve a sequel? Anyone looking forward to it? Could it end up being too much of the same old same old?
Thoughts?