How to Train Your Dragon

Started by Avaitor, September 25, 2012, 08:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shadow Gentleman

Daxdiv

Did we watch the same movie? What parts did he not find funny or charming? I personally thought most of the stuff involving Ruffnut and her admirers was funny. The part where Hiccup bonded with his estranged mother was charming.

I did see Dragons 2 and I thought it was a step up from the first in comedy and drama. Might be my contender for best animated flick of 2014, still divided on The Lego Movie.

LumRanmaYasha

That whole subplot with Ruffnut was my least favorite part of the movie, honestly. I thought scenes like Hiccup playing around with Toothless and Astrid teasing Hiccup were much funnier, charming moments, while the Ruffnut stuff tended to make me roll my eyes and annoyed me.

In any case, I thought the movie was overall as good as the first one, myself. I'm surprised at some of the criticisms people have made about it. I have no clue what they wanted from the film, but I fail to see how it could be an unpleasant viewing experience in the slightest.

Daikun

Quote from: Daxdiv on June 28, 2014, 08:47:16 PMDid we watch the same movie? What parts did he not find funny or charming?

He funded Kick-Heart.

Daxdiv

I personally thought the villain in the movie was handled better than Alvin was in the TV show. Someone that decided to use Dragons for evil does serve as a good contrasts for Hiccup and his mother who wanted Dragons and Humans to live in peace. The fact that unlike Alvin, Drago Bludvist had his own dragon army years before Hiccup started to train dragons. I dunno, I found Drago to be a more threatening force overall, and even a bigger threat than the den mother of the first film.

Quote from: Daikun on June 28, 2014, 09:07:57 PM
Quote from: Daxdiv on June 28, 2014, 08:47:16 PMDid we watch the same movie? What parts did he not find funny or charming?

He funded Kick-Heart.

.... That just raises further questions!

Avaitor

Yeah, Ruffnut's subplot was a low point for me, as well. It's such a cliched joke that almost broke everything up when it happened. Maybe I got a chuckle out of the whole thing, overall.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, as someone who's always incredibly behind on big-budget animated movies, I FINALLY saw the first movie....5 years after its initial release.

I really enjoyed it quite a bit. It's probably my second favorite DreamWorks movie behind Kung-Fu Panda, which might not be saying much, but keep in mind that I'm not exactly a huge fan of Pixar, either, despite them having a better track record.

Anyways, the sequel is on Netflix right now, so I'll probably get around to that soon.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just watched the second movie. Overall I liked it as much as the first. Possibly even a little better.

This and Kung-Fu Panda are pretty much the best things that Dreamworks has put out since The Prince of Egypt, IMO.

Avaitor

They really are. They're, like, the only movies I really care about from Dreamworks.

Although I have been thinking of watching the first 2 Shreks again, and I still need to see The Croods and Peabody & Sherman.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

You guys should give Puss in Boots a chance. It's a fun little action adventure movie that's better than any Shrek movie.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daikun

Avaitor

I saw Hidden World last night, and was blown away. The world and character building in these films are fantastic, as is Saliari's villain role. Not to mention how gorgeous the animation and use of lighting are- this is easily one of the most beautiful animated films I've seen, to the point that I almost gasped when we got to the titular world.

This was easily worth the wait, but I'm sad that there won't be more. Still, at least the franchise will end on a high note, and I think that it's a better trilogy than Toy Story. Granted, that's not going to be a trilogy for much longer, but nothing we're seeing for 4 is giving me much to anticipate.

New blog!

Daikun

Avaitor

At least it's based off of a series of books.

Although so is Shrek, and I don't think that would be a good idea...

New blog!